PDA

View Full Version : Where or what do you guys like to do for lunch?

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 01:07 AM
Im just currious. Need a light hearted thread. I love to get your guys opinons because we all do things so much differently, and I figured whats has more options than lunch.

Personaly I like to just keep working, maybe get a dollar dog from the gasman, or if im lucky 2 for a $1 whoohoo. Some days if we have time we will get lunch at a little chinese place that serves excelent genaral tso's chicken. We get the main dish, fried rice and a soda for like 4.50 and it even fills me up. Try getting 4.50 to fill you up at Mcky D's. Or some times we stop off at a local dinner and get pan fried chicken , mmmm. Or we take our lunch, but a luke warm sandmwich just doesnt sound good when Im hot dirty and wanting to keep working. I cant believe how time flies when Im working.

impactlandscaping
06-24-2004, 01:20 AM
We usually take an hour or so when doing landscape jobs, and head to anything close by: diner, mickey dees, sheetz, chinese buffet...On mowing days we usually eat snacks in the truck, and then head out for dinner and a beer or two afterwards. I always keep a 52 qt cooler full of 20 oz water and powerades in the truck . I have been known to throw a half dozen or so candy bars in there as well. Nothing like a cold snickers or milky way..mmm..mmm...

TClawn
06-24-2004, 01:23 AM
I like to go to a local place called hanafuda. they serve plate lunches and saimin,
their teri beef with fried saimin is really good:)

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 01:24 AM
Im kinda limmited where I go because I like to be able to watch my truck while I eat.

Yard Perfect
06-24-2004, 01:35 AM
We eat while moving. The guys bring their lunch.

DALMlawn&landscaping
06-24-2004, 01:35 AM
any boys from san antonio know that the place to go for great food come lunchtime is Bill Miller's Bar-B-Que, the best place ever in the world, you get friend chicken, poor boys, chopped beef sandwiches, ribs, brisket, what ever you want, and its cheap, its good, and its faster that most fast food joints, not to mention it can fill you up and you wash it down with a big 32oz cup of iced tea. they use to have free refills back in the day, but the green industry was drinking them dry. every day come lunch time you will see at least 3 trucks and trailers and about 20 workers at one time. and there a lot of these places, you can't go 2 miles with out seeing one.

anyways, this brings me up to my next thing. who allows workers, or who actually does this themselves- eat lunch on the front yard, under a tree just lounging out like theres no problem. I CANT STAND THIS. here i am driving through a fancy neighborhood (300-1.5mil houses) and i see 3-4 mexicans (no harm meant, i am mexican too) just sitting on the grass eating their lunch. when is it ever professional to mow the yard, put up the equipment and then take lunch under a tree and eat. i think that is so discusting and i can't stand watching it. i won't even bring water bottles into the yard, just looks trashy. when i eat at the site, i go to my truck, open the door, sit down, and scarf down a can of tuna, chug a few bottles of water and i'm working again. that is my typical job site lunch. oh well, i'm under enough stress, i dont need to worry about other peoples workers.

chuckers
06-24-2004, 01:36 AM
box lunch except saturday i treat usually wendys

txlawnking
06-24-2004, 01:59 AM
I usually don't eat much, Just lots of hydration, Food makes me bog down or get sleepy, might grab a bag a chips and maybe a snickers though..

brucec32
06-24-2004, 02:24 AM
Squeeze in 15 or 20 unburdened breaths in the truck while driving to fast food establishment (excuse me, good food served quickly). Order a meal by item number only, since statistics show that you have a 1 in 20 chance of getting your order correctly and promptly if you order anything in actual English words. Wait for food while on the phone or filling out log of my work for the day. Pay the man, sit the bag on the seat while putting up wallet and exiting the place and also putting straw into huge diet coke. Then I begin work on two simple cheesburgers (no number available to order w/o cheese and ordering a #2 meal w/o the cheese has been known to bring the store to a standstill) and if I'm really hungry I eat some of the fries w/ no ketchup. Eat carefully selected "finger food" that can be handled with one hand, leaving the other on the wheel. No Tacos, no salads here buddy. Woof them down and prepare to arrive at next jobsite.

Been doing this for 12 years now. I no longer am able to wait even 1 minute for anything in life now.

But I figure it's saved me about 1200 hours of work time over the years, or about the equivilent of one year's work. So I took 3 months off after I moved into a new home and spent my time fixing it up and getting ready to start this all over again. I figure I'll take the other 9 months off in the future.

chuckwk
06-24-2004, 03:36 AM
NO fast food like Mcd's, etc. How can you expect a man to work after sticking that poison in their body. I added an extra lunch allowance (how could I expect them to pay more to eat than they want?) on their paychecks and we/they would eat at a local diner or restaurant. A local strip club had KILLER deals on lunch specials .... T-bone steak (big as a plate) with baked potato, & 2 sides for $5.95 ... everyone thought the scenery was a nice lunch bonus. Sometimes I think they paced their work so lunch time would end up as close to that location as possible.

yz250fpilot
06-24-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by txlawnking
I usually don't eat much, Just lots of hydration, Food makes me bog down or get sleepy, might grab a bag a chips and maybe a snickers though..

Ditto on that.....water, water, water.....and jalapeno hot salsa sunflower seeds. No lunch.

Harry0
06-24-2004, 07:57 AM
We bring our own lunches in coolers. I don't know how you guys can afford to take time out of your day to go to a restaurant. By the time you drive there,order and eat I am already back to work for a half hour. We take a 15 minute break in the morn. 1/2 hour lunch 15 min. break in afternoon. I pay for breaks and deduct a half hour for lunch.-Harry

1MajorTom
06-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by chuckwk
A local strip club had KILLER deals on lunch specials .... T-bone steak (big as a plate) with baked potato, & 2 sides for $5.95 ... everyone thought the scenery was a nice lunch bonus. Sometimes I think they paced their work so lunch time would end up as close to that location as possible.

I don't know Chuck about that... Did you have problems getting them to leave? :laugh:

crawdad
06-24-2004, 09:29 AM
A t-bone big as a plate? With a tater and 2 sides. I'd be ready to sack out.
How did you get them to work, after such a big lunch? I prefer a light meal, in a quiet location, when working in the heat.
Crawdad

GrassBustersLawn
06-24-2004, 09:36 AM
Tuesday is Pizza Hut buffet day!

Rest of the week it is McD or other fast food, whatever is nearby.

chuckers
06-24-2004, 09:39 AM
i dont know how you can eat fast food every day nothing like having your old lady pack your lunch for you... and it saves time

FreshCuts
06-24-2004, 09:40 AM
Normally dont eat lunch. Food and the heat makes me feel week and lazy. Just lots and lots of water will get me through the day.

BCSteel
06-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Same thing every day. 2 tuna sandwiches, 1 banana, and 3 granola bars. I always eat on the go. Sometimes on the mower if there is no time between jobs. And when it gets hot, about 6 litres of water throughout the day.

J-dub
06-24-2004, 09:57 AM
chuckwk -- is that the "Shady Lady"? I've heard they have a good lunch. The problem is that you have to bring a bunch of on-dollar bills for "tips"...

amw
06-24-2004, 10:10 AM
on fridays if everything went well that week i treat to hooters now.
used to be a little dinner, but i changed it about 6weeks ago to hooters.
they enjoy it (as do i) and it gives them something to look foward to at the ened of the week. and they know if they dont show up on sat. for work they screw the trip for the next week for everyone.
has realy helped keep them showing up on time!

on thursdays i take the pressure cleaning guys, and same thing applys..just friday they have to show up..
(they dont work sat. usualy)

dont forget how much $ you make from your guys.. give em' a little treat now and then!

JMO

all degree
06-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Stay away from the fast food!!!! I had two large guys working with me last year on an all day landscape which included 12 yards of mulch and around 40 flats of flowers.

They wollf down Mickey D's. One guy had A whopper, onion rings, chicken sandwhich, coke and a chocolate shake. (BTW I ate a salad at Subway)

Both these guys almost died that day but I kept whipping them . One finally threw up.

Seriously though stay away from fast food. Watch SUPER SIZE ME a new movie that will show you how bad the stuff really is.

HayBay
06-24-2004, 10:29 AM
We (she) pack lunches in cooler. Trying to keep it healthy.

The very odd time takeout.

J-dub
06-24-2004, 10:48 AM
all degree -- your worker puking doesn't surprise me. I watched Supersize me recently -- not sure I'll knowingly eat McD's again (only eat it a handful of times per year anyway...).

meathead1134
06-24-2004, 10:48 AM
:D Well since I mow part time. My future wife brings me dinner sometimes. Nothing like having a nice steak with rice and ice cold glass of milk at 5:30 pm. Yeah I know I'm spoiled!!!

Ken

txlawnking
06-24-2004, 11:58 AM
I did forget about bananas though, love em, they are a Whole food, meaning you can live off em' IF my wife made me breakfast, I'd never eat lunch. Just snack

Remsen1
06-24-2004, 01:45 PM
No Lunch. I eat and drink all day long. I usually go through two pieces of fruit, two sandwiches, and .5 - 1.0 gallons of water. All eaten between jobs or when I have a free hand. All items can be eaten in a matter of seconds, so I don't loose time.

Moe Fish
06-24-2004, 02:00 PM
You guys make enought to eat? :confused:

chuckwk
06-24-2004, 05:58 PM
shady lady or diamond joes .. depending which side of town.

sometimes we took extended lunch breaks but the guys knew we could not sit in the AC too long .... after a big lunch a nice 1hour ciesta work just fine.

When its real hot the guys liked to eat big salads .... local price choppers or hyvee had big self service salad lines... seemed much easier on the stomace when its hot.

dcondon
06-24-2004, 06:13 PM
A&W for us, if not something from a gas station

1MajorTom
06-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Never anything greasy for me. Usually about once a week, we'll stop at Subway. Most days though we don't do lunch. When Matt drops me off at home between 3 and 4, I will make him a couple of sandwiches, chips and a pop.

fga
06-24-2004, 06:34 PM
i'll stop where ever i can feed my guy for under $5. hot dog truck, fast food, local pizzeria, etc. i let him eat while i drive.

i don't eat anything myself, i'd rather wait and eat at home with my family, since these hours we put in, I don't gey to see my daughter and wife. even getting home a half hour earlier makes a big difference to me.......... say what you will.

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 06:42 PM
I often veiw lunch the same as fga. I would rather just get home a 1/2 hour earlier.

BSDeality
06-24-2004, 06:44 PM
local deli. sandwich, 32oz gatorade and sometimes a bag of chips. i need to really start just bringing a cooler with drinks and chocolate bars instead though. i feel like taking a nap after lunch

Flex-Deck
06-24-2004, 06:52 PM
We stop for lunch wherever there is something to eat. It is like the "What is the best string trimmer theads" - Get a dang string trimmer that starts and runs. This is a lite hearted thread, and maybe that is what this site needs.

Woody82986
06-24-2004, 06:57 PM
I don't get to see my girlfriend much so on days when I get close to her house around lunch time, she gets us lunch and I eat at her house and take a break. Any other day, I just take bags of chips, power bars, bananas, or anything else that can be eaten while driving and chow down all day in between jobs. I hardly ever stop and take an actually sit down lunch.

odin
06-24-2004, 06:58 PM
my wife fixes my eats ...and i bring a ton of good ole water along .i eat eithert on a break at a job site or while driveing .

Fescue Farmer
06-24-2004, 07:01 PM
On hot mowing days : Granny Smith apples + extra crunchy peanut butter and maybe some beef jerky. Or my wife packs me a phenomenal lunch consisting of a couple of deli-style sandwiches that rival Subway's! Ton's of H20 with a little lemon, salt and sugar - cheaper than gatorade. I love Propel - but it is too expensive to buy everyday.

We eat out occasionally at Calhoun's Lunch buffet or T.Ho's Thai restaurant - best egg rolls in Knoxville.

We often Think Thick - Hardees - no combo - just burger.

Subway's a great place for a light lunch - kinda like eating a salad on a bun with a little meat....

All in all - food is generally not as important to us as LIQUIDS!

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 07:06 PM
When it comes to h2o I dont keep mine in a cooler. I started leting the water warm up some, not ice cold and I found it goes down much easier and I feel more refreashed for some reason. I thought I was just weird, but I found out that your body absorbs water much better if its not ice cold. I like my big gulp ice cold, I just like something sweet, but I always take a few swigs of my water as soda doesnt really hydrate.

TClawn
06-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Remsen1
No Lunch. I eat and drink all day long. I usually go through two pieces of fruit, two sandwiches, and .5 - 1.0 gallons of water. All eaten between jobs or when I have a free hand. All items can be eaten in a matter of seconds, so I don't loose time.

You should be drinking a lot more water than that! you can sweat that out in two hours if your working hard. also stay away from pop, it makes you tired because of the phosphoric acid that takes away the calcium from your muscles. calcium helps with keeping your muscles from cramping, they also need it to fire correctly

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 07:13 PM
I drink half gallon or more of h2o on those really hot days, Im drinking a big glass right now. I just like no cola sodas for some reason as I find the sweet and cold taste refreshing even though its not hydrating, hence my water mmmm. Then I get on the Z and proceed to rattle my now full bladder.

fga
06-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by odin
my wife fixes my eats ...and i bring a ton of good ole water along .i eat eithert on a break at a job site or while driveing . Odin,
what does you your wife fix, that you can put in a cooler, that is still appealing by noon. i tried that a few times, it looks good in the morning, and by lunch............;) ;) soggy, mushy,!!

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 07:16 PM
I need to start knocking on customers doors and asking if they have in leftovers we could have, I think thats a good way to save money and help them free up fridge space at the same time.
:D

fga
06-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by barringtonbrothers
I need to start knocking on customers doors and asking if they have in leftovers we could have, I think thats a good way to save money and help them free up fridge space at the same time.
:D I wouldn't want to eat from some of the places i cut........ "what's in a ghetto salad?", i don't want to know.

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 07:19 PM
probably has gov cheese. mmmm thats be SHEZO G

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 07:31 PM
Had $1 hot dogs today. BUT tonight -------- I get french fried lobster tail MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM lost of butter, and a big ol salad with blue cheese and crumbles, wish it was garganzola though. MMMMMM getting ready now.

lqmustang
06-24-2004, 07:34 PM
I'm not one for eating during the day. I bring about 2.5 gal of water with me every day, sometimes using it all on the really hot days. Food just doesn't appeal to me until I get home, then I don't stop eating until I go to bed.

Rich's Lawn Care
06-24-2004, 07:58 PM
I go to Subway 6' sub small pepsi.

BareFootLawn
06-24-2004, 08:23 PM
On commercial property days, with crew, we pack lunches. When on mowing days with just my son and I, I'll take him to grab a bite somewhere we can sit and talk for a few. If I'm mowing with a crewmember, we'll load up on snacks when we stop for ice and gas in the morning and mow... mow... mow.

GeeVee
06-24-2004, 08:32 PM
When I (was) am in the field, its "*****'s breakfeast" for me. Cig and a Coke. But that comes at lunch, after I finsihed whatever coffee was available.

I don't eat lunch- unless forced.

I don't drink water except what comes in the beer.

NNJLandman
06-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Usually bring a gallon of water or gatorade with me, then round lunch time I try to eat something fairly healthy like a sandwich from the deli or something. I don't like eating the fast food, bogs me down makes me feel like c*** and take one too. We usually send a guy out to get the food or we all go out and sit down somewhere picnic table job site on the grass, in the truck and eat. But for the most part gatorade n water is my main meal.

Jeff

Lawn Dog2001
06-24-2004, 10:00 PM
I dont eat lunch on the job. I never have, and never will. Once I eat Im too tired and lazy to work. Better to stay hungry and get after it.

Steppenwolf
06-25-2004, 12:17 AM
My girl friend:-)

gunner27
06-25-2004, 12:25 AM
just lots of water if it is hot out. sometimes i will grab a salad from mcdonalds.

RedWingsDet
06-25-2004, 12:26 AM
water, gatorade, and a few gronola bars. sometimes if were starving ill swing though burgerking or something real quick on the way to the next site.

barringtonbrothers
06-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Steppenwolf
My girl friend:-)

now thats my kind of lunch.:nono:

odin
06-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by fga
Odin,
what does you your wife fix, that you can put in a cooler, that is still appealing by noon. i tried that a few times, it looks good in the morning, and by lunch............;) ;) soggy, mushy,!!

lots of good sicilian stuff ...cheese ...olives ....fruit ...she will cook me up a good chicken .....season it all up ...and it still excellent cold.

tiedeman
06-25-2004, 12:37 AM
I eat a snickers bar while driving to the next job site

leadarrows
06-25-2004, 12:42 AM
12 diet cokes and three baloney sandwiches a day is my usual diet. My wife is one of the best cooks I have ever known and I have know several. She is sick of cooking and lives in the garden in the summer time. So I'M really looking forward to this fall and canning time. Oh I can cook some but I really hate it so....I live on baloney. LOL
My mom always said I was full of baloney .....I guess she was right. :)

odin
06-25-2004, 12:43 AM
well i watch and keep my body fit and hard as a rock ....i eat every 4 hours to keep blood suger under excellent control

dcondon
06-27-2004, 06:35 PM
I always drank water till this year, i started drinking gatorade and i can feel the difference. Seams to make you cooler, I think!!

Palmer Lawn Care
06-27-2004, 07:50 PM
I usually finish working around Noon, so I always eat at home.

TROTTMAN
06-28-2004, 12:18 AM
I like getting fast food, but the drive-throughs are always an adventure with the trailer on. I know which places I can and can't fit.

Woody82986
06-28-2004, 12:42 AM
I forgot to mention that the only reason I ever go to Home Depot is because we have a vendor there who sells hot dogs and sausages relatively cheap. When I am on that side of town I go there for lunch. They are so good I swing by for dinner too.