PDA

View Full Version : 1 week results with Primo sprayed with PG Ultra

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 09:44 AM
I know I know, I should have taken before and after pictures, but I didn't, so that's that.

Anyways, recapping other threads where I stated last Thursday I sprayed Primo Maxx with the PG Ultra:

1) The turf is not on any fertilization program.
2) I used it only on areas that I would normally have to run a trimmer, trying to cut down the trim time at this specific school.
3) I used the gray (high) rate nozzle, only one, with the stock "t" still in the unit, which gave me a spray pattern 4' wide.
4) I ran in high gear.
5) Chem-Lawn was at this school on, I believe Monday of this week, 6-21, my application was on 6-17. Chem-Lawn only applied broadleaf application.
6) I ran the Primo at a rate of 1.3 oz/1000, using 1 gallon of Primo for 3 tanks of mix.

After 1 week, I can say for my situation, I don't believe it worked well with the Ultra.

I say this because some areas, around poles, trees, etc., where the pattern somewhat overlapped, the trimmed areas are still shorter. Some areas aren't. The areas where I just went straight along the fence line, there's no difference in the height of the cut / uncut grass this week. This is the area where I ran in high gear, straight shots.

BUT we haven't had ANY rain for the last 2 weeks now and it's been sunny with 10-20 mph winds every day, so the ground is becoming quite dry. Even the grass that wasn't sprayed didn't grow more than 1".

Now, refering back to what I stated earlier, the turf is not on any fertilization program, which may have some influence.

The only reason that I make a reference to Chem-Lawn being there, is because since they only applied a broadleaf application, I've done the same things for some parks that I maintain, and have slightly stressed the grass, especially when it's dry out and no rain or irrigation, which could contribute to the regular "non-sprayed with Primo" grass' length, or nongrowth, but I'd believe it's mostly because there's been no water.

I'll give Primo a shot again, because there's too many people that praise it, but next time I'm going to hook up the 200 gallon Lesco sprayer on a little trailer I've got and pull that around with a 4 wheeler, applying the "x" amount of gallons of water that it recommends. I just don't know if there's enough water for consistant coverage with the Ultra.

I'll make another report next week, if definately need to trim or not. This week is border line since the grass was so short to begin with.

MrBarefoot
06-24-2004, 10:39 AM
I think you are the first person to post the results of this long awaited experiment.

Congratulations on that.

I am disappointed to hear that your initial findings are less then what we all hoped for. Perhaps more experimentation will be fruitful.

FERT-TEK
06-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Thank you and I hope it didn't cost you too much money to do it. Hopefully it will work if you get some rain. Aren't you a little worried about putting down that second application so soon after the first one? What could happen?

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 06:31 PM
OK guys.... I'm back again.... another update.

At the risk of sounding ...... swishy or wishy washy I must change my stance on using the Primo in my Ultra.

I'm out the door, going to go take some pics, post them later this evening.

I'll describe what's in the pics, and you guys can help me out with whether or not you agree, K?

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Okay, here are some pics.

This first one is a picture of the fence posts that I sprayed. The ones on the left are sprayed, the ones on the right are not.

The next two pictures are closer pics of the fence posts.

C:\Documents and Settings\Preferred Customer\My Documents\My Pictures\Primo Pictures\Fence Posts.jpg

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Here is a pic of the fence posts that have been sprayed with Primo.... These posts were not trimmed this week, but mowed next to. Remember, I sprayed with the stock nozzle, so a 4' wide path was laid down.

The trimmed area was trimmed to probably 1/2" or so 1 day before the application last Thursday.

C:\Documents and Settings\Preferred Customer\My Documents\My Pictures\Primo Pictures\FEnce Posts Sprayed.jpg

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Here is a pic of the fence posts that were NOT sprayed with Primo. These posts were also trimmed to about 1/2" at the same time as the others.

C:\Documents and Settings\Preferred Customer\My Documents\My Pictures\Primo Pictures\fence posts not sprayed.jpg

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Here is a picture of an area along a wall that was sprayed. I realize there's shadows and I apologize, but if you saw it real-time, there was no grass growing higher than what was mowed.

C:\Documents and Settings\Preferred Customer\My Documents\My Pictures\Primo Pictures\primo wall.jpg

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 09:04 PM
There are some more, but it's getting dark out and I've got some stuff to fix.... I'll post the rest in an hour or so.

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 09:32 PM
More pictures...

Next one is where I used the bottle to spray, this was done before I put a wand on my Ultra.

I realize it's hard to see because of the shadow again, but if you look at the base of the wall, you can see where there's been some normal growth.

This is one of the spots that had me thinking it didn't work when I made my first post.

C:\Documents and Settings\Preferred Customer\My Documents\My Pictures\Primo Pictures\Primo Bottle Used.JPG

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 09:35 PM
These next two are of tree rows that were mowed.

The first one is where the growth has been controlled.

C:\Documents and Settings\Preferred Customer\My Documents\My Pictures\Primo Pictures\Primo Controlled Trees.JPG

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 09:36 PM
This picture is one where the growth wasn't controlled so well. If you look at the lighter grass right in the middle, it's about 1-2" taller.

If you look closely, there's a "c" shape in the grass, following the tree line where I didn't want to get too close with the rider.

C:\Documents and Settings\Preferred Customer\My Documents\My Pictures\Primo Pictures\Primo No-controll trees.jpg

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 09:40 PM
This last picture is one where the fire hydrant blocked the Primo.

You can see with the handicapped parking signs, the growth was controlled, but behind the fire hydrant there is new growth. This fence I did not spray on both sides, unlike all other fences, because just out of sight to the upper left of the picture on the far side of the fence, there is new seed put in.

C:\Documents and Settings\Preferred Customer\My Documents\My Pictures\Primo Pictures\primo controlled area.jpg

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 09:44 PM
So, after all of that.....

and after a day of mowing at this school, there ARE areas that it worked at, but there there's areas that it didn't. For the most part, I would say that I'm happy so far, I'll see how long it controls the growth now.

Anywhere it was trimmed to 1/2-1" tall, it's controlled it. If you were to be here, looking where the 3 1/2' of the spray pattern landed on the 3" tall mowing area, there's really no difference in what needed to be mowed and if it slowed the 3" growth down any.

Again, this was on a dried out area of turf with no fertilization program, just 1 broadleaf application / year. Personally, if it will control that growth for 4 weeks for me, then I break even with the time that it normally takes to trim (product vs. labor cost).

Time will only tell now.

Oh yes, one more thing. Anyone that wants to contribute money into the pot of this test that I just ran for probably 20-30 of you guys... my address is...... :D

BCSteel
06-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Ummm... all I see are red X's

turfsurfer
06-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Ummm... me too.

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Noooo....

For reals?

Someone's gotta tell me what I did wrong then.

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2004, 11:45 PM
K, I redid the compression on all the pics, on my computer they come up, but for the rest of you, I don't know what to say.

Can I post pics right off of my computer? Or do I have to set them up on a different free website somewhere?

KenH
06-26-2004, 07:28 AM
I believe you can see them because they are on your computer. I cant......

LwnmwrMan22
06-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Did this picture work?????????

FERT-TEK
06-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Yes / no the picture came out but is very pixelated. This is caused by trying to blow a picture up too much usually. Please try again, I am very interested in what you have to show. Please explain what the picture is (entire area treated, 1/2 ?)

Diesel
06-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Yes this last picture worked. Previous pics did not.

LwnmwrMan22
06-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Okay....I'll post all the pics under a new thread tonight. The last one was very "pixeled" because I thought the detail was too good. I've got it all figured out, and I'll redo the whole she-bang tonight, but it'll be late. Heading to the Mall of America after I go finish mowing two schools.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-26-2004, 03:31 PM
lets see the pics