PDA

View Full Version : Down south LCO's

txlawnking
06-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Hey guys I'm lookig towards winter/ slow season (you can cut @ 9-10 mos a year here) I know the guys up north can plow snow etc., But what are you guys doing? I'm thinking about setting up a repo truck ( I have extensive exp. I just quit doing it for other people, too unsteady) or maybe power washing, I'm open to any wise advice. Especially to ideas involving a realatively low start-up:D Any of you Houston guy's got ideas?? Thanks.

Grass_Nerd
06-24-2004, 01:17 PM
How do commercial properties keep their parking lots clean? Maybe think about contracting properties to clean lots (pick up trash, sweep, etc.). Work night/early morning hours (11 p.m. -5 a.m.)? Just a thought...

txlawnking
06-24-2004, 01:26 PM
I was thinking about parking lot sweeping, but I belive a sweeper truck is around 60g new ( not sure about this), I do notice that most sweepers around here seem to be out of Houston. A guy I used to work for had a sweeper, he didn't seem to be really making that much bread, relative to the cost of the equipt. Great idea though, just seems like a limited market here(locally).

SERRICO
06-24-2004, 03:08 PM
check out this site for sweeping.
I'm thinking about it too. May be after establish my lawn care bz first.
http://www.mascosweepers.com/

txlawnking
06-24-2004, 10:57 PM
Yeah serrico that's the exact company the dude got his from, no joke I'd swear he told me @$60g for his, but you never know he was a crook. I do know that in TX. one of those trucks is considered " enviromental clean-up machinery" and don't have to be registered, tagged or insured, ( although I'd deffinatelly have the last one!!) Maybe I could find one used for the right price. Any one here on LS have a sweeper? I'm really curious, about it now.

SCAG POWER
06-24-2004, 11:13 PM
We have a few companies that do this in the orlando area.If you were working for them you would work the hours of 9:00 pm to 5:00am they pay aroung $60.00 dollars per 8 hour shift nightly.

Thats about 300 a week, think that if you were to cold call for lawns ,like i have been doing you could make morethan what they have to offier.

:alien:

PCLL
06-24-2004, 11:32 PM
Leaf removal, what else? Ferts..

You can always keep the lawns clean while laying frog's hair down for winter color. Maybe it's me but I cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would even offer service to those who won't stay with you throughout the year.

txlawnking
06-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Leaf removal is also something I though of, But it's a fairly limited market here. Do any fellow texans know about the requirements to apply ferts. and pesticides here? I'm under the assumption you need a liscense and am wondering how do you study for a test like that? Where can you learn about that? A few of my better cust. have shown interest in having ferts and such, but as I haven't a clue about this I've declined this work. Thanks guys keep em' coming..

CSRA Landscaping
06-25-2004, 01:39 AM
There's plenty to be done on the landscape scene in the 'off-season.'

txlawnking
06-25-2004, 01:40 AM
You mean as in new plant install's etc., correct?

Envy Lawn Service
06-25-2004, 02:58 AM
I have money coming in year around, so I don't do much more than I have to in the winter. I used to have a lot of leaf work which kept me busy into January easy. Now work the apps hard late fall/early winter then again late winter/early fall. Plus I work the landscaping hard late in the off season as well.

I like the time off I get. I hit the books hard as I do my own accounting ect. I get all that squared away and the taxes. Otherwise I use the winter months to prospect a certain grouping of commercial accounts.

SWD
06-25-2004, 07:46 AM
The state of Texas does not require a license for fertilization only.
You have to have a license for any type of chemical application, liquid or granular (or their permutations) for hire.
The license for you would be a Texas Dept of Ag, class 3A. In addition you need your Texas Nursery and Floral Certificate.
The state requires a seperate file be kept for three years documenting EVERY application.
The state requires proof of financial responsibility prior to issuance of a license. This means commercial insurance, with the rider for pesticide applications.

Contact your local county ag extension service - they can get you all set up.

cajuncutter
06-25-2004, 08:56 AM
I have always tried thinking of things to do during the winter. I deliever Xmas trees from Thanksgiving to about the second week of December then we go back to fall clean up. Then it gets really slow after the second week of January. I figured this year with my first born on the way I would start my own private day care and enjoy my winter off.:D

CSRA Landscaping
06-25-2004, 05:28 PM
No, I'm actually talking about keeping the leaves clean, cutting the rye, blowing the lots, etc.

Precision
06-25-2004, 10:22 PM
I am on a every week mow cycle in the season and a evry other week cycle int the off season. The money is the same, yearly contract monthly pay. So I get every other week off and the same pay. Of course I will be out getting clean ups and all kinds of other stuff. If you do good work and advertise, the problem isn't what to do, but when to sleep.

txlawnking
06-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Guy's thanks for all the input, you strengthened my convictions about pushing landscaping, leaf work and Apps. I really apreicieate the help!! And thanks SWD I'll be contacting the extension office soon....