PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Tonic Recipe-Anyone ever used this?

tsh1773
06-24-2004, 02:02 PM
This was seen on a local news channel's website. Have any of you ever tried this? If so please share your results.

Lawn Tonic Recipe
One can of soda – must not be diet soda
One can of beer – not light beer
1/2 cup of liquid dishwashing soap
1/2 cup of mouthwash
1/2 cup of household ammonia

All ingredients should be mixed into a 10-gallon hose-end sprayer.

You’ll want to apply it every three weeks. You should mow your lawn late in the evening and then apply the lawn tonic immediately after that.

J-dub
06-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Heard of it, never tried it though. I think the guy's name is Jerry Baker -- he makes it look pretty simple/easy. I've also heard that the contents of the "tonic" are too miniscule to help most residential lawns; in other words, you'd need gallons of this stuff.

However, if someone thinks it makes their lawn look better then by all means use it..

captken
06-24-2004, 03:16 PM
lol lol Wlhat kind of beer?lol :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

take one down,

pass it around,

99 bottles of beer on the wall......

:angel:

couldn't resist,

kenny

Shuter
06-24-2004, 03:23 PM
I always lose it on the beer part. Much better for me than the lawn.

Grass_Nerd
06-24-2004, 04:10 PM
What is the point? To green the grass? Fight weeds?

Remsen1
06-24-2004, 05:21 PM
what's the point? ...my guess is jack schit.

Grassmechanic
06-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Oh boy, here we go again. Do a search - Jerry Baker is a fraud and his so-called tonics don't work.

tsh1773
06-24-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks Grassmechanic!

NC Big Daddy
06-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Ever wonder why the Green Industry gets a black eye? This crook ( Jerry Baker) is one reason! There is ABSOLUTELY no scientific verification to any of his "tonic's".

dvmcmrhp52
06-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Let's see.....................
The beer and soda feed the microbes in the soil.............
The dishwashing soap is nothing more than a surfactant.............
The Mouthwash and ammonia fight fungal infections and weeds...............
As the beer feeds the microbes in the soil it helps the soil utilize the cuttings from mowing which turn into additional nitrogen.............

The black eye may not be quite correct,although I don't believe I'd spend my time.
It's called organics folks.........better get used to it a bit,more and more will be required.

Carolina Cutter
06-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Tried it.......didn't see any difference though.

NC Big Daddy
06-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by dvmcmrhp52
Let's see.....................
The beer and soda feed the microbes in the soil.............
The dishwashing soap is nothing more than a surfactant.............
The Mouthwash and ammonia fight fungal infections and weeds...............
As the beer feeds the microbes in the soil it helps the soil utilize the cuttings from mowing which turn into additional nitrogen.............

The black eye may not be quite correct,although I don't believe I'd spend my time.
It's called organics folks.........better get used to it a bit,more and more will be required.

So going along those lines of thinking if you were to leave say your Red 71 Dodge Swinger to rust in the front lawn thats a Iron application. And the sulfates in the paint will kill any insects and or grub's. I've read a few of your post and if you think Jerry Bakers ideas are "Organic" you're out of touch.
One other thing just so we're straight what study were you quoting when you said beer and soda feed microbes? and mouthwash fights fungal infections? I know it's the Internet and all but some facts along with the snake oil would be nice.

Remsen1
06-25-2004, 03:58 PM
in addition to what big daddy said... soda, dishwashing soap and mouthwash contain too many chemicals to be considered "organic".

grasswhacker
06-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Who let "Grama Putz" out of the barn again?