PDA

View Full Version : More mosquito ?'s

DiscoveryLawn
06-24-2004, 02:34 PM
All this talk about mosquito apps has my wheels turning. I ordered a gallon of Mosquito Barrier on Monday and am looking forward to trying it out. If this product delivers what it promises I am going to agressively pursue marketing this service. I liked what Cormier and TSM has shared about their experience thus far.
I would like to know if ...
You would consider sharing some of your marketing and sales techniques of this service.
What are realistic repelling expectations?
Will this really work in a heavily infested area?
Is it easier to repel on larger properties than on small lots where the untreated area of the neighbors lawns is only 20 to 30 ft away from where the customer may be spending time outside?
Thanks in advance.

David

DiscoveryLawn
06-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Also...
How well does the Mosquito Barrier repel fleas and ticks?

David (again)

Turf Medic
06-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Don't have any experience with it yet, but looks like to me selling this product should just about roll through the neighborhood once you get one person to bite. Ever walk through a bunch of mosquitos with someone that is wearing repellent when you aren't might be my imagination, but it seems like the buggers are worse than just walking by yourself.

James Cormier
06-24-2004, 05:17 PM
[
"You would consider sharing some of your marketing and sales techniques of this service. "
Not a problem once I come up with one.

"What are realistic repelling expectations? "
Reduces population by 75-80% I think this will get better with repeat treatments

"Will this really work in a heavily infested area?"
I think it will work better cause you really would notice a difference

"Is it easier to repel on larger properties than on small lots where the untreated area of the neighbors lawns is only 20 to 30 ft away from where the customer may be spending time outside?"

From what IVe read this is true, Urban settings with small lawns close together have far less product sprayed so results are not as good, Unless you sell it as a " neighborhood spray " I have several of these where I spray some small lawns close together, Still get good feed back from the customer.

TSM
06-24-2004, 06:25 PM
we do some smaller properties. every one of them asked the same question, "if my neighbors dont do it is it worth it?"

we have had very good results in these situations. mosquitoes are much more likely to hit the neighbors. I tell folks to expect the neighbors to hate them for sending the mosquitoes over to them :)

it is a lot like wearing repellent on your body. if you are covered yet your buddy is not, you might get a few bites but he's going to be covered!

I really even hate talking about this, because i truely feel this is going to be a huge profit center for us 9not that i dont want everyone to make money...but you know what i mean, right?

we began to market just to our existing lawncare customers via postcards and newsletters. we also have room on our invoices for marketing services any particular customer does not recieve. Once a few customers tried it...bingo...they spread the word like crazy. we had planned on starting a radio and newspaper campaign this week marketing just mosquito control. but we have had a difficult time keeping up with the demand we now have...so i iced that campaign til next spring.

BTW, we broke open another case on Monday, seems like we got a 'bad batch'? not that it is not working but it is kinda chunky and clogging up our sprayers. This will be a real problem if this continues, took us twice as long to treat with this batch...had to keep cleaning the screens and nozzles....you definately want to wear spray gloves when handling this stuff...i got a bit aggrivated and cleaned a screen/nozzle without the gloves...i can still smell and taste garlic on my fingers...luckily i like italian food!

Green Dreams
06-24-2004, 08:56 PM
E-mail them about it. I'd like to hear their response....

James Cormier
06-24-2004, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TSM
[B]

I really even hate talking about this, because i truely feel this is going to be a huge profit center for us 9not that i dont want everyone to make money...but you know what i mean, right?

Yes I do..And hey where in the same state, but I know you dont want to come all the way out here to central mass, theres not as many bugs out this way :p anyways.