PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Zero users please tell me what you think

blair smock
06-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Hi guys, After trying about everything, I just demoed a Mini Z- Wow, Thing is built like a tank and I thought was very responsive, Only thing I had a hard time with was seeing quality of cut. The dealer did not have much room and the grass didnt need cut. I was looking at the 52" w/Kawasaki. it will be used for about 7 rental prop as well as two Churches (who are sort of Picky) With a well balanced deck and good blades am I going to be dissapointed? Also I was curious how it mulched? With there 1300.00 off special it is hard to beat the price. Any Users with Input APPRECIATED!! Thanks Blair

John Gamba
06-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by blair smock
Hi guys, After trying about everything, I just demoed a Mini Z- Wow, Thing is built like a tank and I thought was very responsive, Only thing I had a hard time with was seeing quality of cut. The dealer did not have much room and the grass didnt need cut. I was looking at the 52" w/Kawasaki. it will be used for about 7 rental prop as well as two Churches (who are sort of Picky) With a well balanced deck and good blades am I going to be dissapointed? Also I was curious how it mulched? With there 1300.00 off special it is hard to beat the price. Any Users with Input APPRECIATED!! Thanks Blair

You seem happy!! Go for it!!
John

KL Squared
06-24-2004, 04:11 PM
I bought a Hustler mini z this year. I am very pleased. Good machine and it cuts well. I have a mulch kit under mine. The only complaint is very heavy grass. It leaves small trails behind that require blowing off the yard or going over a second time.

AuburnGuy
06-24-2004, 04:36 PM
I also demoed the mini, super mini, and Super Z. I did not feel very comfortable on the mini. It was built good, but not that impressed. I drove the super Z. It was like a cadillac, much smoother and it will stick to the side of a hill. The mini seemed good for flat stuff, but the Z seemed a lot better if you are not in tight spaces or have any hills. I was kindof dissapointed because i need the size of the mini, but liked the Z much better. I think it will be too big for my yards.

DennisF
06-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Love my Hustler Z!!! Tough as nails and fast, fast, fast. The cut quality is excellent even when mowing at full speed if you have razor sharp blades. The only complaint I have is the black seat and arm rests. Here in FL the sun heats up the black seat quickly. I use a white terry cloth towel to keep from getting burned. Other than that the Hustler can't be beat. JMO.

P&J Lawncare
06-24-2004, 10:40 PM
I love all of mine.

akmattingly
06-25-2004, 12:02 PM
Just bought the Super Z 60". Great gut. I love it, as mentioned above "rides like a cadillac".:blob3:

Fescue Farmer
06-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Bought two 25hp kawasaki / 52" super mini - Z's in April this year.

Pro's: Fast!!!!
Foot Operated deck control is great - can lift the deck about 6" high to go over obstacles and can quickly change cutting heights with the pull pin.
Low center of gravity = great traction in reverse up a hill - side hilling is great - better than any Z I have mowed with.
Clean cut on thick fescue lawns at full speed.
Suspension seat is grand - back doesn't hurt as much at end of long day.
Automotive style drum brakes automatically lock when handles are pulled to the sides - work great.
12 gallon fuel capacity = less stops for fuel.
Simple design - lifetime warranty on leading edge of deck, frame and gauranteed never to leak where there is a hydraulic fitting!
Still light weight compared to other Z's of the same size - 980 lbs.
Smooth hydaulic controls - they are dampened, but they don't feel like a Scag.
Light in the front - caster tires to not twist turf in a nice fescue lawn like a heavy in the front mower (Scag) will.
With the engine clocked the way it is it is easy to change oil - very little mess.

Cons:

Low center of gravity means low in the rear - the rear departure angle is bad - the rear bogey wheels catch on our Isuzu gate when backing up and occasionally catch when coming off of or going up a steep hill - the moveable joints that stabilize the mower deck are really low and occasionally catch on things.
The offset deck - the mower deck is offset to give you more trim capacity - this is nice, but for striping purposes I like to have my rear tires close to the edge of the deck on both sides to give a crisp contrast between light and dark lines. Too solve this I turned the trim side rear tire inside out and had to get used to the fact that when I am sitting on the mower the deck is not centered under me, but is offset to the left.
They are fast, but I wish that the Hydro pumps or motors were geared a little lower - they seem to strain when in a bind or going up a steep hill. Maybe you can't have speed and lower geared pumps or motors at the same time?
When the turf is high, the mower deck cuts fine, but it does seem to not want to disperse the clippings as well as other Z's I have mowed with. It will occasionally spit out a clump of grass that seems to have gotten caught on the trailing edge of the discharge opening.
The stock factory blades are odd sized (17 7/8") and did not seem to cut well. We solved the problem by buying inexpensive (I don't know the brand - an Exmark dealer here sells them) 18" full length cutting edge blades and grinding 1/16" off of each end and rebalancing them.

Hope this helps!

RedWingsDet
06-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by P&J Lawncare
I love all of mine.

im druling over your equipment!!! im JEALOUS!!! how long did it take you to establish your company to be able to buy all that?

P&J Lawncare
06-26-2004, 09:23 PM
This is my 11th year in this business, I have more equipment that is on the other side of my garage.

gene gls
06-26-2004, 10:51 PM
If you have a chance, demo an Everride Warrior. It has a "free flow" deck and more torque to the wheels for better performance in unfaverable cutting conditions.

Gene

energy
06-27-2004, 12:10 AM
Premier, stop drooling, a good credit can get you all those machines and more. They all look pretty much new, you think he handed cash for all that?

bayfish
06-27-2004, 12:34 AM
I have 2 Hustler Z's and love'em both. Good speed, great cut, smooth hydros, good on slopes.

affordableyardcare
06-27-2004, 02:01 PM
I have a new Hustler Super Mini Z with the 24 hp Honda 52" deck this thing is great plenty of power, super fast,rides well and cuts really nice at speed.