PDA

View Full Version : I'm dumb....difference b/n gear and belt drive?

grassrootsinab
06-24-2004, 04:11 PM
I read alot here about belt drives and not being able to reverse them. I've only ever run my 38" Deere gear drive and it has full reverse. I don't see belts going to the drive wheels like on the Gravelly I looked at. Is there a difference between a gear drive and a belt drive or am I missing something? I really like my machine but can SURE see where a hydro would be beneficial.

John Gamba
06-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Can you post a picture of your mower?? Honda had or has a gear drive that you cant see the belts.
John

grassrootsinab
06-24-2004, 04:29 PM
These are the only 2 pics I have...hope it helps.

grassrootsinab
06-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Another shot of only the WB

John Gamba
06-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks
I think your belts are inside of the engine's deck. Do you have to pull a leaver back and hold on to it to stay in reverse?? If so you are better with a hydro.
John

grassrootsinab
06-24-2004, 04:42 PM
No, there is a gear shift that puts the transmission into reverse. I've 5 forward gears and a reverse.

I'll try to get some more close ups tonight. Maybe they'll help.

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 06:23 PM
My toro 36 is a belt. You select the gear and push the T bar down the same for both foward and reverse. Perhaps your mower works on the same principle.

John Gamba
06-25-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by grassrootsinab
No, there is a gear shift that puts the transmission into reverse. I've 5 forward gears and a reverse.

I'll try to get some more close ups tonight. Maybe they'll help.

Thank you!
My friend has a older deere that you hold the leaver back. its stupid because the mower will not back up straight.
John