PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Lazer HP demo

Tider6972
06-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Guys, I am demoing for a 52/54 zrt.

This past week, I demoed a Lazer HP 52" 23hp Kawasaki. This mower was the Exmark rep's mower. It was used because it was set up to mulch. It had 9hours on the hour meter.

The lawn was a 1 acre lawn of a $550,000 house. The front is Zoysia, thick Zoysia. The back has Zoysia next to the house, then blends with Bermuda, then Bermuda with 'other stuff' from crab grass to Dallis grass-there's even a 20' X 20' patch of dense St. Augustine ! This I think is a good yard for demoing a mower. It's mostly flat but there's a berm ~7-10 ' tall at the back of the lot, with about a 20 degree slope. There was about 10 days growth, and it was damp.

What results can reasonably be expected of a mower in these conditions? Should I expect a good clean cut? Clumping? Windrows? Should the mower cut this grass without too much bogging at a slow pace? Should I be able to cut this at a fast pace? Should I have to slow to a crawl (so slow that the grass 'burns' from the blades)?

I have also used a JD 737 with mulch kit on this same lawn in very close to the exact same conditions; and a Hustler Super mini-Z 52-25 with Bac-Vac also very close to same conditions.

Thoughts from you pros on what I should expect?
Thanks

AuburnGuy
06-24-2004, 04:54 PM
So were you impressed with the cut it gave? I have demoed hustler so far. I think i may try exmark this weekend and i have a ferris demo set up for tuesday.

Where are you in Alabama? I'm in birmingham.

Moguy
06-28-2004, 10:23 AM
I run a mulch kit on my 52 Lazer and with that many days growth along with being damp, you will get clumps. It will bog down somewhat if you mow it too fast. That being done on cool season grasses, since I live in the midwest.

brucec32
06-28-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Tider6972
Guys, I am demoing for a 52/54 zrt.

This past week, I demoed a Lazer HP 52" 23hp Kawasaki. This mower was the Exmark rep's mower. It was used because it was set up to mulch. It had 9hours on the hour meter.

The lawn was a 1 acre lawn of a $550,000 house. The front is Zoysia, thick Zoysia. The back has Zoysia next to the house, then blends with Bermuda, then Bermuda with 'other stuff' from crab grass to Dallis grass-there's even a 20' X 20' patch of dense St. Augustine ! This I think is a good yard for demoing a mower. It's mostly flat but there's a berm ~7-10 ' tall at the back of the lot, with about a 20 degree slope. There was about 10 days growth, and it was damp.

What results can reasonably be expected of a mower in these conditions? Should I expect a good clean cut? Clumping? Windrows? Should the mower cut this grass without too much bogging at a slow pace? Should I be able to cut this at a fast pace? Should I have to slow to a crawl (so slow that the grass 'burns' from the blades)?

I have also used a JD 737 with mulch kit on this same lawn in very close to the exact same conditions; and a Hustler Super mini-Z 52-25 with Bac-Vac also very close to same conditions.

Thoughts from you pros on what I should expect?
Thanks

Lots of different stuff there. How tall or wet the grass is is probably the biggest factor. The mower should handle most of it fine with some double cutting possible in spots. Still beats bagging or spraying clumps of grass on shrubs in tight spots. I found discharging on decent quality Bermuda lawns to be unacceptable, and they often got very thatchy from all the large stem parts.

If it's Emerald or other dense slow growing Zoysia, 10 days growth isn't that bad normally. If it's the type zoysia above, which I'm familiar with, it will tend to show flaws in the surface of the lawn more than a deck with less overhang. Consider buying the 48" instead if you mow a lot of Bermuda or Emerald Zoysia. I see berms cut a lot that are horrible looking, because the mower leaves check shaped marks where the deck overhang digs in when a wheel drops or whatever. I used a 52" loaner on a Bermuda lawn and it did quite well on relatively flat areas, but on rolling slopes it left more of the typical Bermuda mow lines that look really bad.

Mowing below 3" I got better results when mulching than mowing tall floppy grass at 3.5" or above. St. Aug mulches decently cutting off 6" of growth at 4" mowing height, because it's stiffer and doesn't need the extra vac to stand it up like some grasses. Of course less growth gives a better one-pass cut result.

The Exmarks aren't tops at everything, but on Bermuda and Zoysia, I highly recommend it. I mulched 100% of Bermuda and Zoysia last year in Atlanta and it was a real time saver. Not a single customer ever requested bagging instead. You will still need two passes on really heavy stuff, but again, it beats bagging. If you have to double cut, imagine how many clippings you'd have to deal with.