PDA

View Full Version : What do you multiply materials by for total cost?

GreaterMilwLawnscape
06-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Sprinkler Installers, im doing my first install, a commercial building and have about 5,000.00 in materials, 14 zones, what do you multiply it to figure total cost. 2 x, 2.5x, 3, 4??? Please help me out!! THANK YOU

Mdirrigation
06-24-2004, 10:05 PM
If you bought the materials and have the job already whats the point of the question? The total job cost has more factors than the materials cost , the degree of diffilculty comes into play . You have to pay the plumber for the backflow and permit . If this is your first job you are in for a learning experience , part of that learning is figuring out what to charge .

DGI
06-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Obviously parts are a fixed cost and and the real variable you're trying to find here is labor. You cannot determine how much a job should cost based on the parts.

That said, I determine markup on materials based essentially on the competition I have for the job, also factoring in the overall desirability.

(I should note that I always find it humorous when I read things like this. 5 grand wholesale in parts and it's his first job. :confused: )

ejd
06-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Have you already agreed on the cost of the job, or is the customer going to pay what ever you want after the job is done?

I mark up material by 15% ( low I know, I'm just part time ) then tack on what I want to make, usually $400 - $600, then add in any extra labor I may need. But thats just me.

jwilson32
06-25-2004, 01:43 AM
I figure out how many heads i have....for rotors i charge $75 and for sprays i charge $35. Then i charge $100 for tap and $150 for my machine use. The system im putting in today was 123 sprays and 15 rotors...123x35=$4305 11x75=$825 +$150+$100=$5380
quick and easy

JeffY
06-25-2004, 09:42 PM
damn...thats a lot of sprays. were these all turf or landscape included?

jwilson32
06-26-2004, 06:59 PM
I know. it sucks, but the material list was cheap. so im doing alright on it. theres an old system already installed. It has the old school valves that stick out of the ground and each have there own pvb. I think their illegal. This guy has 2 drive ways and on circle drive and like 5 sidewalks to go under. A lot of boring. Ill send some pics if i can.

MOlawnman
06-26-2004, 08:22 PM
It has the old school valves that stick out of the ground and each have there own pvb. I think their illegal.

These valves are actually atmospheric vaccum breaker valves and they are considered an untestable valve. In my area and most others they are illegal and will need to be replaced. In my opinion you should replace these valves with regular valves and install a backflow preventer (probably an RPZ in Kansas). This would be the best way to go but I know sometimes it is hard to convince customer of this added expense. If this is a new install then you will be required to install a backflow preventer.

JimLewis
07-23-2004, 04:00 AM
Ha! The old "I want a formula I can use everywhere" post.

Yah, I used to try to do that too.

Eventually, you'll realize that formulas for doing irrigation installs are totally pointless. Every job is different. There's no way to plug in some formula for estimating. Unfortunately, you gotta estimate each job the right way.

1) Figure out how many man hours it will take to do the job.
2) Figure out what your hourly rate is.
3) Multliply #1 by #2.
4) Add in materials
5) Add in profit.

That's it!

I still bid every job exactly like this.