PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Super Z not cutting well?

Steve1
06-24-2004, 05:24 PM
I just demo'd a new Super Z for a second time and was not particularly happy with the cut. Maybe I'm being too picky and if I am, tell me but the deck had trouble cutting small clover 100%. It would leave a few blossoms here and there no matter how slow I drove. Driving faster (~6-8mph) only made it worse.

The cutting height was at 3". When I set it down to 2.75" it helped. Is there a problem with a lack of vacuum on the Hustler deck?

This unit had sharp blades and was table-top level. I demo'd others in the same grass without this problem so I'm sure it's something to do with the deck.

I want to give this unit the benefit of the doubt - have any of you seen this before or is this something wrong with just this deck?

Flex-Deck
06-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Were you some what skeptical of the hustler before the demo? - Have seen people that have one white clover leave left in one acre and say ------ See - It does not mow clover.

imograss
06-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Clover is very difficult to cut no matter what mower you are using. There will be those that say their mowers will cut it but I beg to differ. I have seen clover left by the red mowers, green, orange, stainless steel, and yellow ones. I have the yellow one.

Flex-Deck
06-24-2004, 06:08 PM
imograss - well said

Steve1
06-24-2004, 09:27 PM
Well, I wasn't skeptical at all. It was just noticeable and I wanted to ask about it before I pulled the trigger on the unit.

The thing is built like a tank on steroids and rides extremely well. The only other thing I saw that gave me a slight amount of concern was that the motor (27 Koh) blew a fair amount of blue smoke upon startup but it did clear quickly. Is that normal?

I want to love this mower but I don't want to have a serious case of buyer's remorse once the check changes hands.

P&J Lawncare
06-24-2004, 09:35 PM
blue smoke is normal for the first start of the day, 2 of mine do it in the morning and no problems ever with the motors.

Steve1
06-24-2004, 10:50 PM
Anyone else seeing this? The unit is brand new other than 50 hours of demo time. It even LOOKS brand new. The blades were sharp and the dealer is throwing in a brand new set as well along with the ones that are on the unit.

I just want to be sure I'm buying a brilliant yellow ZTR and not a brilliant yellow lemon. ;)

Shady Brook
06-24-2004, 11:01 PM
Steve

Just bought a 27/60 Super Z a couple days ago.... I am so happy. I tested the new Toro, and the New Gravely 260z, and have a Cub, and had a Tiger. I have demod several others, and I would not give her up for any of them. I have found the cut quality to be very good. Last year I was cutting a weed field with a Hustler Z, and was amazed how clean the cut was. My Tiger left all sorts of weeds and seed heads poping up right behind the mower. I would think if the Hustler did not perform well, there was something wrong with the setup, or any other mower would do the same thing. This machine just flat out slays the grass. I think you will be very happy with the Super Z.

Jay