PDA

View Full Version : Filling in Trenches

Bings
06-24-2004, 05:36 PM
I'm going to be trenching with a trencher attachment on a skid steer. I'm curious how you guys are filling in your trenches? I am wondering about taking a old blade and bolting it to the bucket at a 45 degree angle anyone tried this? I'm trying to keep down the damage to lawns ect. and to speed up filling in those long runs. My father-n-law just bid a 1200' water line job, I'd like to figure something out pretty soon.

Tigerotor77W
06-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Many manufacturers now offer dozer blades. That's one option. Another is using the combo bucket and opening it so that the rear back of the bucket acts as a blade.

Mdirrigation
06-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Hor deep does it have to be ? What type of pipe? And what size pipe? I may have a better solution than trenching

Bings
06-24-2004, 10:19 PM
the freeze line here is 18", so water lines have to be deeper than that, Power lines must be 30" deep. This water line is a 2" line but most of the ones we will be doing will be 3/4 or 1". So, trenching is pretty much a must. I'm just trying to get out of buying the expensive dozer attachment. I don't think it needs to be that heavy duty since the dirt will be loose. As far as using the bucket that's not a problem I ordered a 4n1 bucket. But I am afraid the back and forth motion will do a lot of damage to lawns.

Mdirrigation
06-25-2004, 08:01 AM
Find a old snow plow , weld it up solid so it doesnt flip , make a bracket to attach it , it will work on loose dirt. If these are replacement water lines there are ways of replacing without digging up the lawn . Which are faster ,neater , and easier.
On that 1200 foot run I would have a guy dirrectional bore the hole and pull a pipe thru , On runs 400 foot and less we shoot a mole thru the ground , and if its replacing poly pipe we pull a new pipe thru the old with a puller .

Tigerotor77W
06-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Ah-ha! I finally think I understand your problem lol

Here's what I would suggest. If you're not into renting a track loader and a dozer blade (and drive parallel to the trench, once on each side), law down large sheets of plywood and drive over them. Aka...

PLYWOOD

Spoils
Trench
Spoils

PLYWOOD

If your trench is too wide or if your spoils are too distant from the trench, you might have to find a more suitable piece of equipment. If I think of anything, I'll let you know.

Bings
06-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Thanks everybody, I'm going to try making up something with an old blade. Now the search begins for the scrap parts.....

Tevi
06-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Why don't you get a 3point attachment for your skidsteer and get a 3pt blade

Bings
06-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks Tevi, didn't realize there was a 3 pt. adaptor. Great Idea! I've got it ordered now. (that's a lot cheaper than the trench filler)

Tevi
06-26-2004, 12:26 AM
Glad I could help.That's what we're all here for.

Planet Landscaping
06-26-2004, 05:39 AM
Harley rake is great for that.