PDA

View Full Version : How do I edge beds with 3/4" rock mulch?

tonym10
06-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Can anyone here help me with how I should edge my landscape beds? I am a homeowner and all the mulch in my landscape has been replaced with 3/4" red stone. I used to edge it , before the stone , with a stick edger, now the edger just constantly hits the stones. What do I do? Thank you

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 07:25 PM
I would just use a shovle as its your just doing it on your lawn. It will take longer but it will get the job done with no broken windows/ eyes put out.

BSDeality
06-24-2004, 07:34 PM
rake all the stone away from the edge, edge it, and then rake the stone back.

tonym10
06-24-2004, 07:40 PM
Both of those answers is what I was afriad of.

lqmustang
06-24-2004, 07:47 PM
Maybe trench out a deeper edge, keeping the stone further away from your edger? Just a thought.

GeeVee
06-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Sacrifice a little more turf by creating a new bed edge with the back of a shovel or a tool called an Action Hoe. Remove this dirt/thin grass/rock mixture to a different location-

Topdress some rock over the entire area, and work a few stone into the face fo the bed edge (wet).

Oops re-read your post.

Ensure you have adequate eye protection, and learn how to run your line trimmer perpindicular to the ground. Half speed or less, is all the throtttle you'll need if you are traveling in the right direction and are just spinning the tips of the line along what needs to be cut, considering you are vigiliant and are timely with your efforts. Every week or so.

Creating this new edge requires that you can maintain it. Endevour to use the edger to keep a four inch gap. Once you have all of your bed edges appearing the same way, it looks more natural.

Another tip would be to use a pitchfork dragging backwards to turn each rock over, to freshen the color.

Here's a tip, relax and pay attention to what you are trying to get the machine to do. If you have to see the chiropractor or the ENT, yer holdin on to it too hard.

I tell any person that asks me for advice on what to get for their own consumer use: Buy commercial equipment. All handheld GP stuff should be bought new. No split booms , no motor with fifty attachements. If you have four K worth of turf or more and a suitable garage, go buy a used 36" commercial Belt Driven W/B.

ProMo
06-25-2004, 09:35 AM
I tell my customers who use rock to install the black plastic edging then all you need to do is string trim it.

Tharrell
06-25-2004, 10:31 AM
The last thing you want is a rock to get out onto the lawn and become a projectile when you mow. If you're using rock, do whatever it takes to contain it.

MOW ED
06-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Hire someone to spray a PGR and you will notice dramatic results. The areas will have less growth and it will be very easy to cautiously trim there when needed.

The edge along that fence used to be trimmed twice a week. This picture was aprox week 5 after Embark. I know its not a rock bed but the results will be the same. Good Luck

tonym10
06-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Can you tell me what a PGR is?

brucec32
06-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Another seasoned veteran with years of experience goes into business for himself, I see.

MOW ED
06-25-2004, 08:34 PM
:confused:

Plant
Growth
Regulator

products in this category include ;

Embark
or
Primo Maxx.

DennisF
06-25-2004, 08:55 PM
I do not edge beds with rock mulch. Edging a bed with stone or rock mulch is dangerous and will almost always result in rocks flying into places where they do not belong. Trimming with a string trimmer (cautiously) is all that I will do for a customer with those types of beds.

broken leg
06-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Easy fix Roundup works every time If the customer does not like find new customer. be sure to explane to customer why.

Strawbridge Lawn
06-29-2004, 07:57 AM
MOW ED has the right idea. NEVER boarder grass with rock. Even mulch or pine straw will get thrown into the turf. Edging pavers are a good solution for some applications, but others require the small 2-4" trench that is maintained each week with a trimmer.

Coffeecraver
08-15-2004, 10:41 PM
remove the stone6-8 inches from the edge,and dig down about 6-8"install 3 layers of black plastic and reinstall the stone.

(Install in this case means to cut the plastic to correct size
and pin it tight to the ground with those electrical staples,maybe use a hammer.)

a little work but is better in the long run.

I have a bed that I did that to in 1998 and still have no problems with it.