PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle weed in sidewalk/driveway cracks?

walker-talker
06-24-2004, 07:02 PM
I am curious how some of you take care of this problem?

BareFootLawn
06-24-2004, 07:11 PM
I keep a bottle of "round-up" at all times, when they're noticable we hit them. We only do the driveway and the front walk. If more needs to be done, then we offer our services for $$.

bobbygedd
06-24-2004, 07:13 PM
spray with roundup at no extra cost. just the walks and driveway

Avery
06-24-2004, 07:13 PM
If they are in the expansion joint we use the stick edger to remove the weed and any soil. If it is an uneven seam caused by a crack we treat with Round-Up. No extra charge. Small details like this are included in our service.

Itsgottobegreen
06-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Be hold the power of some roundup. I always have a 1 gallon pump spray bottle in the truck. A little here and a little there. Its not even worth the time to write a bill for it. It costs me a buck here and there ever month when I refill the bottle. But I really don't care. It makes the job look nice.

tiedeman
06-24-2004, 08:09 PM
spray the weeds at an extra cost

BCSteel
06-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Round up and simazine twice per year. Dosent even give them a chance.

outsidepride
06-24-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by BCSteel
Round up and simazine twice per year. Dosent even give them a chance.

BC how do you use the simizine i have some but not had the occason to use it is it mixed with round up?

ElephantNest
06-24-2004, 09:00 PM
I offer it free, along with fire ant control. No beds, just concrete or paved areas.

NNJLandman
06-24-2004, 09:03 PM
I get weed killer from the garden center I work at, the damaged bottles, non sellable at a discounted price or for nothing, so if weeds are a problem i can take care of it with that stuff.

Jeff

CamLand
06-24-2004, 09:06 PM
we use a miss called Death,and nothing comes back up in those cracks

Death is a homemade mix of 2 concentrated solutions

BCSteel
06-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by outsidepride
BC how do you use the simizine i have some but not had the occason to use it is it mixed with round up?

Ya, its mixed with the r-up. I calculated it all out one time and it comes out to 40 ml (dry) of princep (simazine) w/150 ml of r-up weather max in 15 L of water.

That is also the same mixture that I use in the garden beds for weed control too.

Steppenwolf
06-24-2004, 09:53 PM
The easiest way to prevent weeds from poping up in cracks is to make sure you blow the cracks out after you cut,don't give the weed a place to germinate,dead grass is a perfect place for a weed to grow. Look at the cracks, is there dead grass,(white grass) in the cracks...gonna have weeds for sure,spurge is poping up right now so keep the cracks clean and you will be better off.

M Raggs Yard Service
06-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Same here as Barefoot & Bobbygedd.

outsidepride
06-25-2004, 07:24 AM
Ya, its mixed with the r-up. I calculated it all out one time and it comes out to 40 ml (dry) of princep (simazine) w/150 ml of r-up weather max in 15 L of water.

That is also the same mixture that I use in the garden beds for weed control too.

Thanks BC

BCSteel
06-25-2004, 09:03 AM
No problem. What have you been using so far?

outsidepride
06-25-2004, 06:03 PM
No problem. What have you been using so far?

straight round up over and over when necessary i had simizine for the last couple years but never used it. Do you use that mixture everywhere you use round up?

BCSteel
06-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by outsidepride
straight round up over and over when necessary i had simizine for the last couple years but never used it. Do you use that mixture everywhere you use round up?

Yes, unless I'm killing off an old lawn to re-seed or re-turf.

Craig T
06-25-2004, 11:00 PM
Walker-Talker get some Roundup for those cracks.

walker-talker
06-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Actually, I have been using a product from Hi-Yield called Killzall....something like that. It's much cheaper and works well. I am looking into something that will sterilize the ground. I have read that Sahara will prevent vegetation for 2-3 years.

DLCS
06-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by walker-talker
Actually, I have been using a product from Hi-Yield called Killzall....something like that. It's much cheaper and works well. I am looking into something that will sterilize the ground. I have read that Sahara will prevent vegetation for 2-3 years.

I've never used Sahara but doesn't that stuff leach really bad, I don't think that is meant for cracks in sidewalks.

Carolina Cutter
06-26-2004, 02:13 PM
I take my trimmer and go to the cracks like I would when I am edging. They ususally come back on the next trip then I do it again. I have used roundup but my customers say that even though the weed is dead they have to look at the brown weed still in the crack. Besides its quicker and leaves a more finished appearance.