PDA

View Full Version : Removing Deck Belt Guards

Canadian GreenScape
06-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Is there any reason why I should leave the belt guard on my 54" deck? It gets packed with grass and im afraid the spindles will overheat or somthing.. I know theres the obvious thing of not stepping on the belt but is there anything else I should consider? Does everyone else remove them?

GeeVee
06-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Drag a tree branch into the belt/sheave and you'll get whacked.

Open, it will colect even more.

Don't step on a deck, anywhere.

DLCS
I assume you are talking about the plastic guards on the 7 Iron decks? I remove all of mine, all they do is pack full of grass and blowing them out is easier with them off.

Avery
I remove them several times a day and blow the area out to remove the debris. Removing them will not help keep the grass out. Leave them in place.

FrankenScagMachines
06-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Avery
I remove them several times a day and blow the area out to remove the debris.
How do you get any lawns mowed? I don't have time to do that!! LOL

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Some days its all I can do just to put gas in mine, let alone removing and blowing out my belt guards several times a day. Im not saying doing it is a bad thing, I just aint got that kind a time.

Avery
06-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Hire some help guys. I do that while my guys are finishing up the trimming/edging/blowing. I usually have 5 or 10 minutes before they catch me. Plenty of time. Takes only a few minutes for each mower.

green acres lawns
06-26-2004, 10:30 AM
I started removing the deck pulley/belt covers years ago on all my mowers. All they did was trap wet grass and cause rust problems. I blow the grass off the deck's at the end of the day. I have not had any problems caused by not having the covers on.

grassdaddy
06-26-2004, 11:01 AM
No belt covers on my turftiger..