PDA

View Full Version : Scag Cut

kemmer
06-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Does anybody have a scag 36" mower with a 15hp Kaw? Or if not maybe just a scag? It seems like it has lost its quality of its cut, and yes i just put sharp blades on. It seems like the front casters are pushing the grass down and theres not enough suction to pull it up in time. do you recommend putting different blades on, b/c i have the stock ones on. or do you recommend changing the spaces under the deck by the blades b/c i heard on some thread that it increases the suction under the blade, like if the blades higher in the deck does that improve the suction?

Norm Al
06-24-2004, 09:58 PM
i recommend taking a cutting torch and cutting 3"s out of the front of your mower,,,,,all the way across!

grass_cuttin_fool
06-24-2004, 10:19 PM
I would change to a set of high lift blades and see if that helps

kemmer
06-25-2004, 12:13 PM
grass_cuttin_fool- thanks, ill try that see if it helps.

Norm Al- what the hell are you talking about?

SERRICO
06-25-2004, 12:48 PM
I use mulching blade on my 36 w/b belt drive.
Works great.
But keep it sharp.

Littleriver1
06-25-2004, 03:54 PM
You need to have a 1/4" slope on the blades, back toward the front.
Bill

grassdaddy
06-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Run doubles-highlift on top,standard on bottom.I've run that combo on my scag w/b for 3 seasons,works for me.

bobcat175
06-25-2004, 04:12 PM
double check that the underneath of your deck is clean. That is usually the culprit.

ProStreetCamaro
06-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Dont feel bad. Our 36" scag has always cut bad. Clean deck with sharp blades and it still cuts bad. No matter what we try it doesnt help any. Good luck!

kemmer
06-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Littleriver1, is that a scag 36? what mower you using that setup on?

kemmer
06-27-2004, 07:08 PM
oops that last post was for grassdaddy.

Grassdaddy, is that a scag 36? what mower you using that setup on?

TheKingNJ
06-27-2004, 08:20 PM
my scags cut like crapola

2k1yzfr1
06-27-2004, 09:11 PM
I've always heard that scags cut bad...........I bought a 5-7 year old 36" scag last summer just to have a side dischage 36" for crap yards. Turns out this old scag with gator blades leaves a better cut than the exmark metro with mulching kit and the 52" z500.

grassdaddy
06-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Snowlyleaflandscapin
oops that last post was for grassdaddy.

Grassdaddy, is that a scag 36? what mower you using that setup on?

No,its a 48" advantage with 17hp.It cuts awful over 3".At 3" with doubles it leaves no stringers,but it will pack deck full if grass is wet.--My 61" turftiger never leaves stringers,I don't run doubles on it.-----Both advantage decks,I think bladetip speed makes the diffeence here.:)

Steve9
06-27-2004, 09:24 PM
My Skag 36 cuts great. Stock blades with a mulch kit. I notice the people complaining seem to be up north. Im cuttting bermuda and St augustine here.
I planted winter rye this past winter and it looks like crap even when I cut it with the 21. The wheels would lay it down and when i got done it looked ridiculous. Tough being a yankee i guess!

kemmer
06-28-2004, 05:09 PM
i was looking at the mower today and i realized that at 3" the deck looks like its not level but it tilted up in the front

MikeLT1Z28
06-28-2004, 05:15 PM
set your cutting height to where you want it. measure on flat ground from bottom of the front part of the deck to the ground. now measure from the rear edge of the deck to the ground. should be at least 1/8" and no more than 1/4" difference. you can use air pressure to get it close. should give you a much better cut. adding blades isn't fixing the problem, it's just getting around it. if it used to cut right and now it's not, something has changed somewhere.

kemmer
06-28-2004, 05:19 PM
picture didnt load

kemmer
06-28-2004, 05:24 PM
could i move the deck up?

rbeitz
06-28-2004, 05:31 PM
That's your problem. The front of your deck is higher than the rear. The front should be 1/4 inch lower than the rear. You should be able to fix this by adjusting the spacers on the caster wheels.

MikeLT1Z28
06-28-2004, 05:31 PM
is that a fixed deck wb?

MikeLT1Z28
06-28-2004, 05:32 PM
sounds like the from bushing in the casters may be worn, or the front wheel/tire assembly or axle bushings. how old, how many hours? did the cut get bad suddenly or instantly?

kemmer
06-28-2004, 07:25 PM
MikeLT1Z28- yes it is a fixed deck, it has less then 200 hrs on it.

The reason why i realized this is because a customer asked me to cut it at 3", I usually cut at 2.5". when i cut at 2.5", the cut was ok, but not what iv seen other mowers like this one do, but when i raised it up to 3" it was terrible.

rbeitz
06-28-2004, 07:38 PM
MikeLT1Z28- yes it is a fixed deck, it has less then 200 hrs on it.

The reason why i realized this is because a customer asked me to cut it at 3", I usually cut at 2.5". when i cut at 2.5", the cut was ok, but not what iv seen other mowers like this one do, but when i raised it up to 3" it was terrible.

Please don't take this the wrong way but how did you raise your cutting height? It appears from the picture that you raised it using the spacers on your caster wheels and now the front is higher than the rear. That will make for a real crappy cut. You've got to get the front of that deck back down.

I have an SW48 and I adjust my cutting height by raising or lowering the blades. This is accomplished with the spacer washers on the spindle shafts.

kemmer
06-28-2004, 07:59 PM
i do adjust the hight with the front casters and the spacers but if i lower it i cant be cutting at the hight that i want. should i raise the back so that the front will be lower again?

odin
06-28-2004, 08:15 PM
if you cut at 3 inchs a lot ...id move those three bolts by the drive wheels up to the highest setting ....

rbeitz
06-28-2004, 08:17 PM
i do adjust the hight with the front casters and the spacers but if i lower it i cant be cutting at the hight that i want. should i raise the back so that the front will be lower again?

OK first thing to do is lower the front of that deck back down by adjusting the castor wheel spacers. Then raise your cutting height by raising your blades only. You can adjust the blade height by moving the spacers on the spindle shafts. Take blades off and move the spacers above or below the blades to get the cutting height that you want. That will easily get you up to your 3" cutting height.

kemmer
06-28-2004, 08:43 PM
but wont that also effect the cut with suction, etc.?

rbeitz
06-28-2004, 10:04 PM
but wont that also effect the cut with suction, etc.?

I don't see why it would. I have my blades set to a 3 inch cut and it cuts just fine, plenty of suction and it leaves nice stripes. I do use the high lift blades but even with the original marbain blades it cut just fine this way.

You'll have to use your best judgement as to what will work best for you. Either lower the front back down and raise the blades (easiest thing to do in my opinion) or raise the rear of the deck up. But, until you get the rear of that deck 1/4 inch higher than the front you are going to have a crappy cut.

rbeitz
06-28-2004, 10:20 PM
I just ran out to my garage and gave my mower a good look. My rear deck is mounted in the same holes as yours. My caster wheels have 2 spacers above the bushing and 2 spacers below. My blades have 1 spacer between the blade and deck and the rest are on top of the spindle shaft above the deck. My blades are set to exactly 3 inches above the garage floor.

TLS
06-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Here is how mine is setup.

Deck mount Bolts in the LOWER of the 3 holes (highest rear setting)

All 4 front caster spacers BELOW caster arm.

4 blade spacers between spindle and blade, one spacer on top of spindle under the nut.

This cuts at a PERFECTLY level 3.5" height.

If I change to 3 under one over on the caster arm spacers, I get a decent rake and just under 3.25"

TLS
06-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Here is one of the front caster setup for 3.5" cut height.

odin
06-28-2004, 10:33 PM
same setup i do tommy ...he can play with air pressure in the tires to get a pretty good pitch

TLS
06-28-2004, 10:33 PM
I got real lucky on this shot. I just stuck the camera under the deck and snapped! :D

Shows the 4 spacers between spindle and blade.

Sometimes I'll put all 5 under there. The lower the blade within the deck, the better!

kemmer
06-29-2004, 04:41 PM
thanks everyone for the help. I raised the deckfrom the back bolts, ill see how the cut is tomorrow.

rbeitz
06-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Hey Tommy,

With your deck up that high how low of a cut can you get by lowering your blades with all 5 spacers? Can you get it down to 3" or less?

I always leave my cut at 3 inches year round. I'm not unhappy with the cut I have today but if I raised the deck up and lowered the blades lower in the deck, would I get less grass buildup under the deck? I really pack it in when it's wet.

kemmer
06-29-2004, 06:03 PM
the lowest you can cut is 2".

TLS
06-29-2004, 06:11 PM
With 3 under 1 over on the front casters, and 5 under on the blade, you should be able to get to 3" no problem.

I just feel, that with the grass around our way, 3" is way too low of a cut. Especially this time of year. I find that all scalping and cut issues are gone with this setup. Still cant touch the cut of my Lazer, but I believe it's simply a 16" blade vs a 20" blade and all the HP the Lazer has.

rbeitz
06-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks. I think I'll try raising the deck this week. I'll try cutting at 3.5" for the summer and see how I like it. But in the spring it just grows too fast to keep up with.

I'm still looking to pick up a good used ZTR to cut my mowing time down. There was a used Lazer sitting over on RT 724 near Spring City for a couple months now. It only has 1200 hours on it but it looked really beat up. Needs a new seat etc. The sign said $3500 OBO but I never called to find out about it. It was there last night when I drove by and this morning at 6:30 it was gone.

jtm45
07-05-2004, 02:39 AM
if your trying to set pitch, in the manual it says to measure the blades not the deck. i measured from my deck down to the concrete floor and i got the same measurements front and back(measuring the deck on the sides) then i measured the blades front to back, i got a 1/8" pitch front to back, to get the 1/4" suggested, i need to take 1/8" of one castor spacer on each side with a belt sander or maybe someone sells thin spacers?, i live in niyak and the grass is beginning to brownout. cuts super and leaves nice lines on its own. i like the hanlebars over the T bar, not so jittery/bouncy, just let go and it satys straight!!