PDA

View Full Version : Which would be the best motor to buy?, and a story.

pops56
06-24-2004, 09:21 PM
A Kohler 23 hp V-Twin or an 18 hp Kawasaki? Don't know my motors to well. Seems like the 23 hp would be the best. Unless it is a piece of junk compared to the 18hp Kawasaki.

Was mowing today and the neighbor lady comes over to see what I would mow her lawn for, its a real snake pit. She wants it every other week.

My schedule if full for what I want to do so I tell her I only take accounts that are on a weekly basis. (unless it is during the dry season) So she still wants a quote. Well since it is easy to get to and a small lawn I tell her $20.00 for each cutting.

She seems upset and says she will pay me $100 a month (thats $25 a mow unless it is a 5 week month of which I think there are two), but must be billed the third week of each month (that is when her SS check comes in). It just amazed me why she did not take my $20 offer.

I say OK and go ahead and mow the lawn, and I will mow it every week just like her neighbor. She agrees and off I go (took 10 min). It will be interesting to see how this story finally ends. I may have just done my good deed for the day.

robertyb
06-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Your good deed will be to actually charge her the $20.00 per cut when it comes time for her to pay. Old ladies get confused easily and are easily taken advantage of.

Think of her as your elderly grandmother (she is someones) and do right by her. That is $5.00 a week in food on her table out of a pitifully small SS check.

She will praise you to her kinfolk and neighbors and one day you will reap the rewards. What goes around comes around.

P.S. - Go for the 23HP twin.

mkwl
06-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Definitely get the Kawasaki engine!!!!!!!!!

locutus
06-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Kawasaki. Once upon a time there were three engines..............

ProStreetCamaro
06-25-2004, 03:50 PM
Kawi over a 23 Kohler? Are you guys on CRACK? The Kohler will walk all over the kawi and when the kawi die's you still got another year or more left in the kohler.

locutus
06-25-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by ProStreetCamaro
Kawi over a 23 Kohler? Are you guys on CRACK? The Kohler will walk all over the kawi and when the kawi die's you still got another year or more left in the kohler. This is the first time I've read a statement like this on this forum. If you do a search in the Mechanic and repair forum, you will be overwhelmed with bad Kohler stories. BTW my previous mower had a Kohler engine and I had continual valve problems with it.

chuckers
06-25-2004, 04:15 PM
frick kohler get a kawi and be done with it kawi has alot more power in it

ProStreetCamaro
06-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by locutus
This is the first time I've read a statement like this on this forum. If you do a search in the Mechanic and repair forum, you will be overwhelmed with bad Kohler stories. BTW my previous mower had a Kohler engine and I had continual valve problems with it.
And I am saying that we have used Kohlers for 20 years now and the ONLY thing we EVER had go bad was 1 control module. We have yet to ever have a valve problem and have yet to ever have 1 blow. So to each his own i guess. Just stick with what you have luck with.

On a side note 3 weeks ago when we were looking into getting a new lazer the dealer told us they had it with both a kohler and a kawi and they recommended we stay away from the kawi because of some sort of problem but i cant recall what the problem was. They brought us back into there repair shop and there were 4 lazers, 5scags and 2 bob-cats that all had kawi's with some sort of motor problem. They had 2 lazers with a kohler motor problem. We just simply havent had any luck what so ever with kawi. The 12.5 kawi on our scag has had a bad oil seap problem and is hard to start when its cool outside. The oil is coming from where the block comes together and I will be DAMED if I am going to tear the motor down to replace a stupid gasket that shouldnt be leaking in the first place.

mowhigh
06-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Don't have time (or care) to get into another Kohler vs Kawasaki piss-off. Can't go wrong with either one. For every person who's had problems with either one, I know someone who curses the other (same for dealers, tech reps, etc.). I've used both with great success (and occasional frustrations). But if you're asking me to choose between an 18hp of either one vs a 23hp twin of the other, I'd go with the latter in a heartbeat. (I'd also go with the $20/cut - - you and the customer will each sleep better).