PDA

View Full Version : Starting to hate my Redmax

Eric 1
06-24-2004, 09:54 PM
I bought a new redmax trimmer this spring, it worked great for a month or so then it started getting hard to start. When i first got it it would start in 2 pulls, then it got so bad were it took 10 pulls. It has been back to the dealer twice and they got it better to where it takes a bout 4-5 pulls. I had planed on going to all redmax 2 stroke, but am now thinking thats not going to happen.

Anyone had this problem?

I am starting to hate this thing.

Oh just as a side note, i just bought a stihl fs85 with the split shaft at a pawn shop for $70 it is about 2 years old and starts on the 2-3 pull, EVERY time. I guess its time to pay a visit to the stihl dealer.

mkwl
06-24-2004, 10:05 PM
I just bought a Red Max BCZ2600S trimmer 3 months ago and it always starts on the second pull! I love my Red Max and I would buy no other brand trimmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avery
06-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Eric 1
I bought a new redmax trimmer this spring, it worked great for a month or so then it started getting hard to start. When i first got it it would start in 2 pulls, then it got so bad were it took 10 pulls. It has been back to the dealer twice and they got it better to where it takes a bout 4-5 pulls. I had planed on going to all redmax 2 stroke, but am now thinking thats not going to happen.

Anyone had this problem?

I am starting to hate this thing.

Oh just as a side note, i just bought a stihl fs85 with the split shaft at a pawn shop for $70 it is about 2 years old and starts on the 2-3 pull, EVERY time. I guess its time to pay a visit to the stihl dealer.

Same with us. Stihl is more dependable and outperforms any other brand we have tried. The new 4 Mix trimmers start 1st or 2nd pull.....day in and day out.

Eric 1
06-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Avery, did you have a redmax that did this?

And yes the 4mix is nice two.

I think as soon as stihl gets a good powerful blower out i will start going with stihl products. I have never herd the first dad word about them, and besides i already have 2.

Albemarle Lawn
06-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Or better yet remove it.

First thing I do when I get a new Redmax is remove the spark arrestor (aka horespower restrictor)

It clogs with charred carbon. Your old Redmax machines will run like new and your new ones will run like a scalded dog.

12+ Redmax machines and never a problem as a result.

KB

CharlieBingo
06-24-2004, 10:29 PM
Eric, I'm in the same boat. I bought the 2600s two months ago as a trial before I bought five new ones. Couple of small problems then the engine seized yesterday. My old redmaxes could not be killed with a sledgehammer but these new ones have me concerened.

Eric 1
06-24-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Albemarle Lawn
Or better yet remove it.

First thing I do when I get a new Redmax is remove the spark arrestor (aka horespower restrictor)

It clogs with charred carbon. Your old Redmax machines will run like new and your new ones will run like a scalded dog.

12+ Redmax machines and never a problem as a result.

KB

It is new, and if i do that it will void the warranty.

Would it realy clog that fast?

timsjeep
06-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Cloged mine in 4 weeks. Pulled it with some pliers and wow, what a diff. Starts better and runs a hell of a lot better. Love my three Redmax's now that the arresters are gone.

Woody82986
06-24-2004, 11:02 PM
My friend bought a Redmax about a month ago and he is having that exact problem. It used to start on the second pull and now it is taking about three minutes of pulling to get it started. He took it to the dealer today so I will see what the dealer had to say.

McCauley3
06-24-2004, 11:06 PM
I've had the same experience with carbon build up in the spark arrestor on a redmax. Clogs pretty quick on my new 2600. Keep a pair of pliers and a steel brush with you and it's quick fix. The spark arrestor on my redmax backpack blower seems fine, never clogged like the one on the trimmer.

Lawn-Scapes
06-24-2004, 11:15 PM
I've had the same experience with mine... a strato charged unit. I got disgusted with it last spring after a month of use and stuck it in the shed. Pulled it out this year because my Echo failed.

I have found (for some reason) that it starts easier if I don't prime it . Also.. mine has a trigger lock and I have to have it in the locked position to start. Why... I don't know? It's still a b!cth to start but it does start after 4-5 pulls.

I'm not sure but I think the muffler is sealed.. so how do you get the arrestor out?

RedWingsDet
06-24-2004, 11:19 PM
where us the spark arrestor? i want to see if i have any build up on my bp blower because it seems to be somewhat difficult to start sometimes.

FuzzyOne
06-25-2004, 01:52 AM
My screens get pulled before I even put gas in for the first time. Had one clog years ago. They serve no purpose if your not cutting in a dry forest. :confused:

McCauley3
06-25-2004, 02:08 AM
Lawnscapes, here' the spark arrestor. Pulls out with a pair of pliers. Clean it with a steel brush and push it back into the muffler. Or, just simply take it out and leave it.

Eric 1
06-25-2004, 09:12 PM
I guess i will chance it and remove the arrestor, i can always put it back in. I will try that tomorrow and let you know what happens.