PDA

View Full Version : Stick edgers..Push edgers.. Oh My..

icatcher
06-24-2004, 11:49 PM
I am needing to add another stick edger to the mix and was looking for opinions.

I currently run echos however between the overgrown bed edges and the amout of rain, thus moist soil, the echo gets clogged easily.

I am considering the Redmax or the Stihl. Need opinions on which model you prefer and why. Also would I be better to add a push edger to use to define/redefine the edge and a stick for maint.
I currently only run a stick for both..

Thanks!

Avery
06-24-2004, 11:58 PM
Get the new 4 Mix Stihl. No clog head. You will not need to use a push edger. It will establish and maintain an edge.

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 11:58 PM
I have been using a the same redmax edger for the last 3 years with no trouble at all. We edge our lawns once a week, and use the hell out of it. The truth is I had one problem with it, the head mounts to the pole by one screw thru it and due to extreme use and abuse the hole has wormed its self bigger. and the head has swivle in it. I picked up a new pole for it for around 40 bucks and now I just have to put it on. I am thinking about getting another edger and am looking at the stihl new 4mix powered one as I am so happy with my stihl 4mix powered weed eater. But I will have the same problems on my stihl as the redmax as both edger heads are mounted the same. I just want another edger for big jobs and a back up.

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 11:59 PM
I was wrong ,it has been around 4 years we have ran this redmax edger.

RedWingsDet
06-25-2004, 12:05 AM
i have a stihl 4mix, and i put a star blade on, and wow, it works SOOO much better than just the standard blade!!!

naturescape
06-25-2004, 12:46 AM
The new Echo sticks have an open faced guard, it won't clog easily.

naturescape
06-25-2004, 12:47 AM
icatcher:
I bet you could just change the guard on yours to the newer style.

protouchlawn
06-25-2004, 09:07 AM
The Stihl 4-mix is absolutely GREAT!!!
Premier, where did you find the star blade? Is there a part number for them?

Thanks.

heybruck34
06-25-2004, 09:42 AM
I really like my Stihl FC-85. It is the "old" style 2 cycle and runs great. I am very happy with it and have had no trouble. It has plenty of power to do whatever I need- sometimes I just have to go over it a couple times if it's a new yard that hasn't been edged.

Whatever you do- buy a straight solid shaft- the bent shaft cable units just don't seem to have the torque to do the job.

Potchkins
06-25-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by PremierLandscaping
i have a stihl 4mix, and i put a star blade on, and wow, it works SOOO much better than just the standard blade!!!

i second that but i got a FC 85

AuburnGuy
06-25-2004, 02:46 PM
Your echo probably has the plastic shield on it. I have the 230 with the plastic shield. You can take a jig saw or something and cut the outside of that shield off (like the new ones). It works a lot better after you do that.

LikeBrothers1
06-25-2004, 07:12 PM
I would definately get a stick and not a push

odin
06-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by protouchlawn
The Stihl 4-mix is absolutely GREAT!!!
Premier, where did you find the star blade? Is there a part number for them?

Thanks.

correct the 4 mix is fantastic...www.j-thomas sells em .....i use 8 point blade even better then the star ..get mine from my dealer but j-thomas sell them to im sure.