PDA

View Full Version : What did this customer do?

khutch
06-25-2004, 09:00 AM
Got a customer with a BERMUDA lawn, every other week schedule. Not a bad lawn but far from "great", guy is always messing in it and the shrubs, just has me mow it when its hot. 'Bout 6 weeks ago start noticing some patches turning brown. By last week they looked full out fried. Asked him and he said he read about mixing herbicides on the Internet! Asked him what he did and he showed me his supply of chemicals in the garage. He said it was an equal (full stregth) mix of Ortho Weed b Gone (Mecoprop, 2,4-D, Dicamba) and Ortho Crabgrass killer (methanersonate). I saw Round-up among other things on the shelf and I'm thinking that found it's way by mistake in his sprayer. He asked me about the grass coming back and I tried to be positive. We have had 2 weeks with a lot of rain. If it was Round-up, (I think it was, the spots look pretty gone...) I know it's not coming back soon, but what about brown outs from the other 2 products. I don't use them and haven't mixed 'em, so I can't really guess what to expect. Any opinions I can offer him or steps to nurse back the injured areas?
One big clump of Dallisgrass was over by the corner of his lot. Had to point out to him "Looks like you missed a spot!"

Tscape
06-25-2004, 12:29 PM
It ain't coming back.

Rtom45
06-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Dead is dead, it doesn't make any difference how it got there.
Another example of why chemicals should be removed from the home owner marketplace.

khutch
06-25-2004, 02:01 PM
Spoke with the homeowner again today and he swears he didn't put down any Round-Up. I'll take his word for it - We did have some low 90 temps around the time he did this so I'm sure he burned it bad.

2 questions- If the Bermuda isn't dead, anything to do to ease it back?
Last, can those 2 chems be mixed together?

vegomatic40
06-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Too many unknown factors to take into account to determine what caused the damage. MSMA alone can be tricky,even in a bermuda lawn in warm temps. A little too much mixed in the tank or, too much appplied in one spot can damage or kill. Same thing with the "Weed-b-Gone". The weeds are likely to try to invade the dead areas but at least you have an agressive turf that should cover over the areas soon enough. Fert. , water and mow and all should be ok in a few weeks. Once hired to service a lawn, I've often told certain customers (lacking critical gray matter) that the only 3 things on their lawn should be water, a mower and their feet. I'll handle the rest.

Luscious Lawns
06-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Keep in mind all of these chemicals have little or no soil residudal activity. (When applien even remotely correctly) Like vegomatic 40 said, The neighboring Bermuda through normal stolon and rhizomes expansions should retake the spots at about the rate of 1 inch from all sided of any remaining Bermuda. You might want to suggest the home owner "Leave the chems to the pros"

specialtylc
06-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Too much WEED B Gone or any weed product will kill the grass if put down at a heavy rate. I know cool season grass will recover and come back.

George777
06-25-2004, 10:49 PM
First off if he truly cared about his Bermuda he would not have you on a 2 week cutting cycle. 90 degrees and this turf grows like a weed. What height are you cutting this lawn at? Explain to him the proper maintenance of Bermuda grass. I bet you could show up at 12:00 in the afternoon and the grass still is wet from the dew

khutch
06-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Question about specialtylc posts- Is he talking about NorthWest cool season grasses only, coming back that is? Is that due to their climate? I thought stolon and rhizomes grasses had a better chance of recovery.
Thanks for the posts - The client in question is an OK guy, he's got such a small yard (2k) I guess he thinks he can do it himself- in this case perhaps info on the net got the best of him. It's a 10 house Subdivision and I'm doing 7 of em, so I figure its a matter of time that he's the eight.

Eastview Lawncare
07-01-2004, 11:41 PM
rake out the dead / brown patches & then vertrically cut edges of green bermuda to force out new growth . Add nitrogen fertilizer to force repairs . seed after 14-21 days residual of roundup which was probably used to kill weeds in flower beds & never cleaned out tank before adding weed b gone to kill weeds in grass.

earlk6
07-02-2004, 08:20 PM
My quess is some Roundup was left in the tank and not rinised out throughly. Mixed with full strength Weed B Gon and Othro weed control is like putting gasoline on a fire in the hot weather. Weed control is tricky enought without mixing un know quanties and unfamiliar products. To quote a phrase "Dead is Dead"
Wait 10 to 14 days and reseed the area with whatever is most popular in your area. \
I get on or two of these evey summer from neighbors of my customers who wanted to "save a little money" and end up costing them a lot more in the long run to fix the problem.