PDA

View Full Version : John Deere JX75

ken50
06-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Well, my Home Depot special bit the dust yesterday, so I went out and bought the John Deere JX75 that I had been wanting. Came home last night and mowed my yard with it, loved the cut, love the machine. Only problem is, it comes set up to bag. The mulch plug has to be bought separately, for about $20, according to the dealer. On top of that, the mulch plugs are backordered, so that means today I have to bag all the lawns I do. Why would JD sell their mowers that way? Why not just sell it with the mulch plug and blade? Isn't that what most of us use them for, or is it just me?

Blades of Steel
06-25-2004, 09:15 AM
get on JD.com and see if you can order one. If not get on-line and find every JD dealer within a hundred miles of you and I'll bet one of them would have one. If that doesn't help I'll bet some of us could call around and find one to mail you as lon as you cover the cost and shipping.

Let us kow.

captken
06-25-2004, 09:17 AM
the door will close, and

the chute will jam up

with grass. Like this...

And the mower will still work okay,

Just with more than usual blowout..

Will not slow you down.

It will get you by until you can get your mulch plug...

Just don't leave home without it like I did...

hope this helps..

kenny

:)

captken
06-25-2004, 09:23 AM
ordering the side discharge chute attachment

shown installed.

In addition to your mulch plug.

I love this mower...

I started out with it as my only mower....

A solid work horse...

You can upgrade your model to the discontinued model, the JX-85.

If you order the kawasaki oil filter kit.

And the heavy duty aluminum wheels.

Sold seperate, to the best of my memory...

My discontinued model.....

kenny:)

bjack312
06-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Ken50,

You should have pressed the dealer to throw the plug in for free. If he really wanted to sell the machine, he probably wouldn't think twice about it. I even got a free oil filter kit and 2 hats for my son an myself.

You can mulch without the mulch plug, just let the chute get filled with grass and it will act like a plug. I have done it when I forgot the plug and it works OK.

As for the JX75, I think it has the best cut quality of any 21" on the market. I demoed alot of the top end mowers (honda, toro, snapper) and the JX75 was IMO the best do everything mower that I saw.

My mower doesn't get the abuse that some of the others on lawnsite might give a mower, I own 10 rent houses that I cut weekly plus mine and my mothers. It is going into its 5th season and still looks and runs like new.

captken
06-25-2004, 09:39 AM
let her fill up,

and keep on goin' and mowin'

used it this way before

when customer demanded I bag.

Never noticed any difference.

I'll bet bobbygeld has done this too!

Blades of Steel
06-25-2004, 09:41 AM
captken,

What oil filter are you using? I have cross referenced mine to Fram. Just curious.

No cutting this morning. Looks like me and the little man are off to breakfast at the IHOP. Too wet to cut..

Tim

captken
06-25-2004, 09:50 AM
shown is Kawasaki brand,

however, I just bought

Oregon 83-282.

6 bucks each.

How much are frams?

Part numbers?

Really wet here today huh?

Hope it quits, I hate having to mow

in the rain.

Same size fits all my mowers!

Rick Jones
06-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Can the JX75 be equipped with the spin-on oil filter on a BBC machine?

BCSteel
06-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Did you get the new model 75? Or is it the old style? The new one has the 6.75 hp engine on it. I already blew a head gasket on it in less than 20 hrs. I have had 4, 6 hp kawis last for over 2000 hrs so hopefully yours will do better.

ken50
06-25-2004, 05:37 PM
BCSteel, I bought the new one...6.75 hp Kawasaki,sure hope I have better luck than you did. Dealer worked with me pretty well on price, I got it for $799, which I thought was good, a lot better than my local dealer would have done. Made it worth the drive anyway. I used it like you guys said all day today, worked out just fine. Still going to get the plug when it comes in. Thanks for all the advice.

specialtylc
06-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by ken50
BCSteel, I bought the new one...6.75 hp Kawasaki,sure hope I have better luck than you did. Dealer worked with me pretty well on price, I got it for $799, which I thought was good, a lot better than my local dealer would have done. Made it worth the drive anyway. I used it like you guys said all day today, worked out just fine. Still going to get the plug when it comes in. Thanks for all the advice.
I hope you have better luck with the 75 than I did with the Jx85. I replaced 2 BBC and bearings in 2.5 years with the one I had. I have yet to replace one on my Hondas.

joed
06-25-2004, 08:44 PM
How much does the new JX75 with the 6.75 hp engine weigh?

Is the 6.75 hp kawasaki better than the old 6 hp?

BCSteel
06-25-2004, 10:04 PM
I dont know exactly how much it weighs, but the new model is lighter than last years, probably around 100 lbs. So far I'd have to say that the stronger engine sucks! Blown head gasket after 20 hrs!! This is the last year that I buy JD.

My old 85 went out in a blaze of glory, litterly, after about 3000 hrs on it. My helper was side discharging some really long grass with it when it starts to make this god awfull noise. Rattling and banging like crazy. I look over and the guy is frozen with fear. Smoke is billowing out every where and the mower is hopping all over the place. It was crazy. Still, if a mower is going to kick it, its nice that it will go with a show.

captken
06-25-2004, 11:03 PM
shipping weight..120lbs.

Cutting height range.....1/2---3-1/2 in. 13----90mm.

operating range [engine speed] 3200-3400rpm.

VERY slick 5-speed [positive shifting] transmission.

Drive to the tranny is via V-belt off engine.

speed range is

1.3------4.4mph....2.0-----7.0kph

The only problem I had was that I backed over the mower with the truck,

Cracked the deck...thought she was done for...

Ordered a new deck [only] from my dealer,

Changed out easy...

My family has owned the full range of John Deere

Farm equipment and empliments.

since the 1930's to today!

We know quality.....

Dad said "tell them what you want and get it"

Would have bought all John Deere lawn equipment

[at the time]......

The local dealership has had our family's business for decades....literally.

They will make it right....

If not for the stamped decks.....[ZTR]

And rebar looking deck edge reinforcement..

Does not appear to have enough beef for me....

I would probably be sportin' Green,

However

Yellow is still my favorite color in regards to ztrs.