PDA

View Full Version : Blade Balancing Question

Dblume
06-25-2004, 11:45 AM
I was wondering if there was any cheap and easy way to balance the blades, i am getting and un even cut and lots of vibtration.

65hoss
06-25-2004, 11:46 AM
cheap isn't always the best way to go. You need a Magna balancer. The only way to go and get a true balance. The cheap cones and nails don't do it even close to the real balancer. I always thought I was close until I bought a Magna. I was way wrong.

steinerguy
06-25-2004, 12:52 PM
I made one the other night that most certianly not at the level of a magna-matic, but I thought I would try it. I purchased a small bearing with a 1/2" ID. I then installed a 1/2" bolt, locked in place with a nut. It spins very smooth. I then attached it to a vertical surface and place my blades on the protruding stud. It seemed to do very well at rotating the heavy side down. I used a 1/2" bolt as that is the size of the attaching bolt for my blades. This will only work on blades with a 1/2" hole, but I don't have much invested.

Ax Man
06-25-2004, 01:32 PM
My guess is that your home made unit works just fine. I have a magna matic and it is good for different sized blades, checks for bent blades too.

Steppenwolf
06-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Beside blades, are your tire pressures the same, are your blade spacers the same and is your belt at the proper tension...these items can also give you an uneven cut not to mention a bent blade.

olderthandirt
06-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Whats good does it do to balance a blade when each one weighs a little difference, and as soon as you get a knick in one its out of balance. By the time they wear the bearings in spindle out its long since time to throw all the old blades out and buy a few sets of new ones.

Mac

ken50
06-25-2004, 10:46 PM
How many times do you sharpen your blades before you replace them on average?

Andyinchville
06-25-2004, 10:50 PM
I took and old screwdriver and sharpened the end to a sharp point....Take the blade hole and center it on the tip of the sharpened screwdriver point ....Be very careful not to drop the blade on your foot.....especially after grinding it sharp.....this method works better than the cone type balancer for me.

chuckwk
06-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by ken50
How many times do you sharpen your blades before you replace them on average?

That depends on a lot of different things/situations ... under normal usage... under heavy use ...

But, I would have to say ... replace them when they are worn out.

chuckwk
06-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Andyinchville
I took and old screwdriver and sharpened the end to a sharp point....Take the blade hole and center it on the tip of the sharpened screwdriver point ....Be very careful not to drop the blade on your foot.....especially after grinding it sharp.....this method works better than the cone type balancer for me.

:nono:

Dblume
06-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the help, i'll look into the home made and if that doesnt' fix it try a magna

MikeLT1Z28
06-26-2004, 12:22 AM
you didn't mention what type of mower you are using, but if it's on a mower (ex. 21") that the blade is directly connected to the crankshaft, you might have a bent crank.