PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done?

MMLawn
06-25-2004, 02:38 PM
This morning at 7:15AM right as I am beginning the day I get a phone call from a young gentleman that I gave a quote to for lawn care (cuttting only) about a month ago. Small yard $30. He nevers gets back to me. Well this morning he says that "he is in a bind and hasn't cut his grass in 3 weeks" and can I cut it. Sure, I say we do that area on Thursday's and we were just there in that subdivison yesterday. "oh he says. Well, like I said I'm in a bind can you cut it today" Well, maybe I can work you in. Will this be full lawn care on a regular weekly basis (keep in mind that is what my Price was also based on). He says "Oh, no not weekly at all just when I get behind" So I think okay you let it get 3 weeks behind which means it is probably 12-18" and topped out (Fescue) at this point and you only want me to clean up your mess and once I do I'll never hear from you again unless you miss another 3 weeks. So I say, no I am very sorry but without a committment of either weekly or bi-weekly (at an added ccost for Bi) I can't help you.

Just curious, What would ya'll have done?

all degree
06-25-2004, 02:47 PM
You did the right thing. I may have tried to get the one time cut for $100. Around here the towns fine you if you do not cut your grass and a lot of people have summer homes and do not take care of them. (if they dont come down for weeks) I have people come up to me in a panic and ask if I can do it fast and I say sure for $150. (normal charge would be $30) About half say yes and I usually only spend 30 minutes.

If they try to use you let them but make the PAY

Remsen1
06-25-2004, 02:51 PM
"One time" $60, "today" another $20 = $80

grasswhacker
06-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Not worth ruining your equipment over. Tell him to try "Rent-a Goat" 1-877-WEGRAZE

MMLawn
06-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Yeah I though about at least doubling the price, but with the probable height I figured more wear on the blades that it was worth maybe. He was almost in a panic so I figure that he most have received a "letter" from the Home Owners Assc.

DFW Area Landscaper
06-25-2004, 03:15 PM
You did the right thing. Even when you charge more for these types of cuts, it's still not enough. You can't throw out a price that will sound fair to a home owner. They're thinking in terms of hair cuts...they're the same price whether their hair is long or short. They just don't understand how you can quote such a price without trying to gouge them.

I did one of these last week. It should have been a $25 weekly cut. I told the guy $40 for a one time cut, which was the maximum I felt I could away with. I cranked the Ferris up as far as it would go...three inches. Myself and my employee were on that property for 65 minutes to gross forty bucks.

I've got to start turning down opportunities for one time cuts. There's just no money in it. I'm probably better off passing out door hangers with the time they take.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

locutus
06-25-2004, 03:38 PM
You did exactly the right thing. That idiot would have called you once a month to cut his crap-ass yard. I dispise people that try to take advantage of you.

muddstopper
01-17-2006, 09:06 PM
This morning at 7:15AM right as I am beginning the day I get a phone call from a young gentleman that I gave a quote to for lawn care (cuttting only) about a month ago. Small yard $30. He nevers gets back to me. Well this morning he says that "he is in a bind and hasn't cut his grass in 3 weeks" and can I cut it. Sure, I say we do that area on Thursday's and we were just there in that subdivison yesterday. "oh he says. Well, like I said I'm in a bind can you cut it today" Well, maybe I can work you in. Will this be full lawn care on a regular weekly basis (keep in mind that is what my Price was also based on). He says "Oh, no not weekly at all just when I get behind" So I think okay you let it get 3 weeks behind which means it is probably 12-18" and topped out (Fescue) at this point and you only want me to clean up your mess and once I do I'll never hear from you again unless you miss another 3 weeks. So I say, no I am very sorry but without a committment of either weekly or bi-weekly (at an added ccost for Bi) I can't help you.

Just curious, What would ya'll have done?

Couldnt help myself

sheshovel
01-17-2006, 09:33 PM
I would have squeezed him in for $75.00 emergency call,that includes mowing a overgrown lawn and changing my schedual at the last moment to fit him in.Then I would have informed him I do not run and ON_CALL business and if he needed me in the future
I would only mow with a commitment of at least one years service on contract and would need at least two weeks notice before I could get him in.

Mueller Landscape Inc
01-17-2006, 09:34 PM
:drinkup: :p

Jpocket
01-17-2006, 09:38 PM
If I wasn't busy sure I would have done it for no less than $75.00.

PLS-Tx
01-17-2006, 09:43 PM
There was a time I would have done this for an extra charge. I don't think I would do it now, if I did he would have to take out a loan to pay the bill.:p

Precision
01-17-2006, 11:14 PM
got one of those the other week.

told the lady, $100 minimum and if it is really bad may go up to $140 for her 1/4 acre. She had a code violation from the city.

She started to give me a hassle. Ma'am to you know how much it costs if the city mows it. "no". Well I do. $250 - up to $500 added directly to the property tax. Call around you might find someone who can do it soon and cheaper. Me, it is $100 minimum and you will meet me on the property and pay cash before I unload my equipment. 8AM tomorrow morning.
It wasn't THAT bad so I told her $100 and she ended up giving me $125 as her way of saying thanks. $30 minutes later I was completely done.

Now I mow 2 of her properties weekly.

It happens, but most of the time they are the dirt bags looking for a one time cut at the contract price.

daveintoledo
01-17-2006, 11:20 PM
3 times normal rate, or no way...heck your probably busy enough to tell the guy to take a hike anyway....

(cold and wet up here, nothing growing, no snow):mad:

leadarrows
01-17-2006, 11:22 PM
19 month old post. JFYI :)

ronniez71
01-17-2006, 11:46 PM
I would had to see the yard first? Then threw a high bid at him!!!

The Captain
01-18-2006, 12:06 AM
leadarrows, that was a great call..... Reading this sure beat watching re-runs on TV. Now if I can just get the "hook" out, I can say, you didn't catch me.

Jim

muddstopper
01-18-2006, 06:25 PM

I know i shouldnt have done it..........but he kept whinning about the other old post getting bumped up.

Flex-Deck
01-18-2006, 06:40 PM
I would have squeezed him in for $75.00 emergency call,that includes mowing a overgrown lawn and changing my schedual at the last moment to fit him in.Then I would have informed him I do not run and ON_CALL business and if he needed me in the future
I would only mow with a commitment of at least one years service on contract and would need at least two weeks notice before I could get him in.

Bingo - I agree - Except I think $100 emergency charge would get his attention better. Just something about the number 100 that seems to get people to stop and think.

lawnprosteveo
01-18-2006, 06:44 PM
I wouldnt do it for under $120. Paid up front. If thats not ok, let him cut it.

olderthandirt
01-18-2006, 06:47 PM

19 months later and I'd still pass on it. It has trouble written all over it and moneys only one, I can see this guy making claims against your ins. co. for damages that were never there.

BENTLEY'S
01-18-2006, 06:52 PM
One time cuts start at $75.00 and go up from there. Most people laugh and hang up. Fine by me.

Bentley's

MMLawn
01-18-2006, 06:55 PM
19 months later and I'd still pass on it. It has trouble written all over it and moneys only one, I can see this guy making claims against your ins. co. for damages that were never there.

Exactly Mac! The answer was as I said 2 years ago no and even if I was still taking residentials today 2 years later, which I'm not, it would still be no.:blob1: