PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with accessing trimmer damage

triadncman
06-25-2004, 06:36 PM
was wondering if any one out there knows the inner workings of a trimmer. I had one get rolled over by a vehicle. It did not damage the power unit or the head at all. It did leave the shaft with a slight bend. Do I need to go through the cost and trouble of replacing the shaft?? I could no doubt bend it back to nearly straight im sure. I just dont want to do any damage to the power head by running it this way. It runs now however it does feel as though it may be working a little harder to run, but i could be wrong. I was just wondering cause I know there are trimmers with curved shafts, Mine was a straight shaft, and in case it matters its a Husqvarna 326L. Any info would be appreciated. I am counting on the fact that this has happed to someone else before.

Thanks

Luscious Lawns
06-25-2004, 06:42 PM
I ran over an old Echo srm series straight shaft with a 1 ton truck. Bent the shaft into a lazy u shape and broke the handel. We just put a new handel on it and banged the outer shaft against a tree untill it was mostly straight. Of corse the SRM series has a flex drive shaft and I'm sure a solid shaft would not have taken the beating and banging as well. My guess if the Husky has a flex driveshaft...............bang that sucker into something to get the outer shaft halfway straight. If it has a solid drive shaft, I think I'd break it doun and see what the damage was. I'm sure the warped solid shaft would be very hard to get into alignment/balance.

triadncman
06-25-2004, 07:08 PM
not sure what type of drive shaft it has......anyone know?

qball98
06-25-2004, 07:42 PM
I believe it has a solid drive shaft

nelbuts
06-25-2004, 07:50 PM
There is a simple solution to this problem.

1. Straighten the shaft and start the weedeater.

2. Does it work?

3. If it works continue to use until it no longer works.

You will do no further damage as your would have to replace the shaft and tube anyway. If it does not work then price fixing it. Sometimes the cost of repair is more than the current machine is worth. If that is the case, then buy the same type of weedeater and then keep all parts from damaged unit for parts. The motor will be a great thing to have in the future.

LynyrdSkynyrd
06-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Triadncman
If the power head and angle gear head unit are not damaged.
All you will need is a new "tube" shaft and solid drive shaft.

If you seperate the power head from the shaft. Then remove the Angle head gear box. You can hold the shaft straight up and jab the splined end of the shaft into something hard such as a piece of hard wood. The shaft will break loose from the bushing inwhich it runs. The clutch bell can then be removed from the shaft. It is just screwed into the clutch bell. Then the bearing can be removed. The shaft can be tight. So use caution when removing it from the clutch bell, for you can warp or damage the bell.

I need to look..

But I think I have a good outer shaft tube (silver tube) here somewhere. If I do.. I would be glad to put it into the mail for you free of charge.. I do not want anything for the part and I will be glad to pay shipping also.

Then all you would need to buy from a dealer is the solid drive shaft.

I would not try to straighen the shaft. For you will never get it back to factory condition (run out)) and running a bent shaft would place a lot of stress on the enitre system from viberation.

Shoot me an email and I will get back to you if you need any help with your trimmer.

dirthawg@despammed.com