PDA

View Full Version : Billygoat?

RedWingsDet
06-26-2004, 01:15 AM
i stumbled across this online, a local dealer also... i never heard or seen of this.... is this a good mower at a cheap price? anyone use it, how does it cut, stripe, and does it operate well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42230&item=4309586337&tc=photo

John Gamba
06-26-2004, 08:01 AM
Its gear drive:p Look at the Better quick 36 om the top of the home page of lawnsite.
John

bntt68
06-26-2004, 09:12 AM
I purchased the Billgoat 33" a month ago. I love it. It lays down a very good stripe. I would like to get a pro-slide or sulky for it. Does any one know if there is any attachments of this type. Takes up very little space on the trailer. 1800 blade tip speed. very good cut also.

GPDesign1
06-26-2004, 10:26 AM
JohnGamba. THANKS for the reco!

:blob2:

the Quick 36 really is a great value.

Cheers!

Gary
Better/

John Gamba
06-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by GPDesign1
JohnGamba. THANKS for the reco!

:blob2:

the Quick 36 really is a great value.

Cheers!

Gary
Better/

I looked at the billy goat friday, Its nice but not a hydro. Yours is also a personnel pace style hydro and you can get the accelerator bagger. I also looked at the simplicity one thats 36" and its long and it has a home owner deck with NO accelerator bagger available. You also have a 30 return policy witch i could of used on my last mower purchase:mad:

If you do a search they are saying good things about the mower.

John

Fareway Lawncare
06-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Allot of those Billygoat Mowers Were Returned to My Dealer in the Spring...That 3 Chamber design Couldn't Handle Lush Turf At All & the Mulch Kit was A Joke...Just a Block-off Plate...

The Quick36" Seems to Have a Similar Deck Design & No True Mulch Kit.....

PeterA
06-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Fareway,
Gary sent me a quick 36 deck to do a catcher fitup a few months ago. I don't know about mulching, but my bet would be that it would handle lush grass pretty well in a bagging or discharge configuration. I was impressed to see the fabricated "tunnel" to allow proper airflow from left to right. Also, the discharge is fairly close to the front edge of the mower (it helps to not have to force the clippings "backwards" as they approach the discharge area). I have not personally used the mower (we only have the deck) but the deck design is impressive.

PMLAWN
06-26-2004, 11:59 PM
I Demo'ed a Billy and it is a gear drive and I found it very hard to shift into rev. BUT it does go backwards when it is in rev. which my belt drive does not.

John Gamba
06-27-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Allot of those Billygoat Mowers Were Returned to My Dealer in the Spring...That 3 Chamber design Couldn't Handle Lush Turf At All & the Mulch Kit was A Joke...Just a Block-off Plate...

The Quick36" Seems to Have a Similar Deck Design & No True Mulch Kit.....

Here! Its similer to the old SFS deck.
John

John Gamba
06-27-2004, 07:05 AM
to change the hight seems simple too.
John

John Gamba
06-27-2004, 07:09 AM
I have a question????? Do the other gear drives like sutek and billy goat have down hill run out????? I dont think going down hill with the hydro better 36 will have this???
john

aVOLanche
06-27-2004, 08:30 AM
I have demoed both the Billy Goat and the Quick36.I ended up with an Exmark(basically,unexpectedly bought my brother in law's residential use only 48" Viking for a song).
Had I not run across the Exmark,I'd have gotten the Quick36 in a heart-beat.The single hydro works well.I wouldn't want to use it as my primary machine in a commercial settinglong term.But for a "gate" model or residential use,it would be great.And that's not due to build quality,but to the single hydro.You do have to turn it.I'm sure with use,it would be easy to turn.It is light for a WB.Quick36=highly recommended.

John Gamba
06-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Has anybody run Double highs on this mower yet?????
John

GPDesign1
06-27-2004, 11:59 AM
We started out with a simple chute blocking plate for our mulching set-up on the Quick 36 and found out that it didn't work well at all. It created a "dead-zone" behind the chute area of the deck and was leaving a trail of clippings. (Kinda hard to do much testing in January and February).

Our new mulching plate works VERY well. The plate now includes an integral baffle that enshrouds the RH blade. It's countoured to fit the taper of our deck tunnel and essentially mirrors the trim side of the deck. Clippings cannot get out of the cutting chambers without multiple passes through the blades. With Gator's, it rocks. It's also very easy to install/remove... 2 bolts. We replaced the old mulch plates at no-charge and with our apologies to customers who had the old set-up.

John mentioned down-hill control... the Quick 36 provides compression braking through the hydro while going down hills. This allows the operator to go just as slow as they want to maintain good control. This thing'll flat climb a hill too!

BTW... for those that have asked for a riding attachment, we're getting close on our 2-wheel "velke-style" rider. Our's will hitch to the power unit much closer to the axle centerline which puts the operator's weight on the drive wheels where it belongs. It also keeps the deck from becoming "floatie". We're also using ball bearings at our pivot points which will give much better life than the bushings commonly used.

Thanks,

Gary
Better Outdoor Products

Fareway Lawncare
06-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Well then You're Decks Should be Much Better than the Billygoat....Discharge Tunnel & Proper Mulch Kit.....BG has Neither!

bntt68
06-27-2004, 06:18 PM
What is the blade tip speed on the Better? I know my BILLYGOAT is over 1800. It has tons of power with the 13 hp. on it. It has went through some of the tallest lushest grass and not bogged a bit. Did I mention how well it stripes also. 1599.00 out the door. You cant go wrong with the Billygoat 33'.

Liberty Lawncare
06-27-2004, 06:28 PM
What do you want it for? I do not like the Briggs engin or the plastic belt cover. My 48 Lesco belt drive with Kawasaki 15hp was only $600 more. I mow at least 37 lawns a week with it. The Lesco has a cloth bag option which works good on all but real big lawns. Thare are sulkie options as well.

twwlawn
06-27-2004, 11:58 PM
Quick 36 web site say's the blade tip speed is 16500.

TROTTMAN
06-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Its very similar to the Sutech Stealth, but more oriented for homeowners. I bet its better than the Sutech though, the deck looks deeper. I owned the Sutech and its fine for the money, but its too tiring to use as a main mower because you have to turn it yourself (no separate sides for steering or holding hills).

John Gamba
06-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by bntt68
What is the blade tip speed on the Better? I know my BILLYGOAT is over 1800. It has tons of power with the 13 hp. on it. It has went through some of the tallest lushest grass and not bogged a bit. Did I mention how well it stripes also. 1599.00 out the door. You cant go wrong with the Billygoat 33'.

How is it going down a hill out of first gear??
John

bntt68
06-28-2004, 02:26 PM
The Billygoat has a brake lever you release a little to travel at the pace you want down hill. It also will only travel the speed of the gear you are in going downhill. Very simple concept. Did I mention that it has a 7 gauge steel fabricated deck. I think the Better Quick only has 11 guage steel deck.The Billygoat is built like a tank.

T2MOW
08-12-2004, 12:55 PM
The Fm 3300 mulch kit includes 3 mulching gator style blades and the block off. I do believe you are incorrect. Check the www.Billy Goat.com website. I purchased this machine in April 04 and it cuts 4.5" grass with no problem. The machine is highly dependent on the dealer who sets it up. I had to adjust my machine after the first use. The speed control was adjusted to much. As for testing a machine you have to mow grass to test the machine not just walk around a parking lot.

gotgreen?
10-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Just a questions about the Quick 36, Is there any planing on the near future for bigger decks and engines?

GPDesign1
10-21-2004, 05:00 PM
got green...

Please keep an eye on the site after the first of the year for announcements.

BTW, for anyone who's interested. We'll have a Quick 36 in the Tuff Torq booth during GIE in Charlotte (November 5-6). Great chance to get answers to your questions and "kick tires".

Gary
Better/

John Gamba
10-21-2004, 05:25 PM
got green...

Please keep an eye on the site after the first of the year for announcements.

BTW, for anyone who's interested. We'll have a Quick 36 in the Tuff Torq booth during GIE in Charlotte (November 5-6). Great chance to get answers to your questions and "kick tires".

Gary
Better/

Good Luck :waving:
John

T2MOW
04-21-2005, 08:06 AM
It is strongly possible it was operator error not the machine? (Cutting at a faster speed), I also picked up the FM3300 for tight spaces and it cut tall wet grass and bagged it without a mess and the BS never hesitated! remember every manufacturer of any kind of equipment produces a few lemons..

IMoLwnz.com
04-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Im getting one next week with the mulch kit and bagger. Im hopping it will replace the push mower. I only use it on small places. the open rear and light weight should be a plus for me the way Ill use it. Ill let you know.

I was looking at the Quick but I need a smaller deck. 36 is to wide for some gates.

33 should be great!! Or at least I hope so.

greenlawngone
04-21-2005, 09:37 AM
I also own a Billygoat mower.Went through 4 inch tall grass at 8 in the morning on friday,no problem's,and as always good stripes.It's a good mower for the money,and great for those gate's.

T2MOW
04-25-2005, 10:09 PM
I Installed the mulch kit and used it for the first half of the season, and then used the stock blades sharpened for the second half and couldn't tell the difference. It is nice to share information but it seems to me this better outdoor products is using this Lawnsite forum as a advertising pool. It is better to sell products based on praise than to bash competition products based on speculation.

The Lawn Caddy
05-05-2005, 10:39 PM
2005 FM3300 FOR SALE. USED TWICE THIS YEAR. LOST ACCOUNT I NEEDED IT FOR. PAID 1700.00. HAS 200.00 BAG KIT. MY LOSS YOUR GAIN. YOU PAY NO TAX AND GET THE BAGGER KIT. E-MAIL WITH QUESTIONS CHADERICKSON5091@AOL.COM.

The Lawn Caddy
05-05-2005, 10:44 PM
FM3300 USED TWICE. JUST BOUGHGT 3 WEEKS AGO. lOST ACCOUNT WAS NEEDED ON. MY LOSS YOUR GAIN. NO TAX AND YOU GET THE 200.00 BAGGER KIT INCLUDED. E-MAIL WITH QUESTIONS CHADERICKSON5091@AOL.COM

IMoLwnz.com
05-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Im having a PROBLEM!!!! I DO like the Billy goat BUT It will not mow low enough for me... I am using it now with NO spacers on the bottom and it cuts... ok but it sits TO high in the back. I called the company and they said there is a lowering kit for it. I said I was not happy but what can I do... Im looking into smaller tires for the rear and that will solve the problem. what tires to you guys have and how "level" does it sit???

I have 13 6.5 6 Rear tires. also the front tires loose pressure and break the bead and are FLAT... its works ok with the flats but am I the only one with all these tire problems?????? :realmad:

bntt68
05-13-2005, 08:54 AM
I had the same problem on the front casters. I put slime in them and did not have another leak in over a year.

T2MOW
05-14-2005, 04:43 PM
I had the front tire lose a bead once and I just used some slime and increased the pressure a few lbs and haven't had any problems. I have the same tires and it cuts real nice with only 2 spacers on the bottom. Try deflating the back tires. How low do you want to cut?

IMoLwnz.com
05-16-2005, 08:54 AM
I did try the deflate Idea and its still not what I think it should be. I am wanting to gut at 3.25 and its doesnt seem that its there Ill try and measure today. I didnt do it with the tires deflated.

Ill see what happens.

T2MOW
05-16-2005, 09:22 PM
I am running doubles, mulching blade on top of the standard lift and my cut is 3 inches with 2 spacers on the bottom of the front casters.