PDA

View Full Version : what up with Lawnboy

lawnchopper
06-26-2004, 12:15 AM
Ive been reading posts about 21" mowers and wondering whats up with Lawnboy??? someone said there going out of business some say they are dropping there 2 stroke motor. I know they are owned by toro and now I see they have Honda engines on them and look similar to the toro 22".
Ive been thinking of purchasing one to start mowing small lawns on the side and Id like a 2 stroke LB cause they last forever You still see Lbs that are 3o yrs old still being used.
What is the future with LB????

PMLAWN
06-26-2004, 02:14 AM
Lowes still carries a 2 stroke but it is not the old commerical unit.
Toro owns Lawnboy and yes they make a few that are the same as Toro. The 2 stroke is out next year for good. If you want a commerical 2 cycle than your best bet is to shop the dealers and beg them to find one. They dont make any more so it's what is left somewhere. You may find a Toro hiding out there.
Was at my dealer today and his feeling is that lawnboy green will disappear totally in a few years.

vipermanz
06-26-2004, 02:26 AM
my dealer has 75% honda powered and 25% two stroke,
Damn you EPA!!

sawman65
06-26-2004, 07:05 AM
its a sad day for sure when that happens the first(lightweight)
rotary mower the best mulching mower made ever

txlawnking
06-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Amen sawman, I hate the cursed EPA. First 2 stroke street bikes, soon dirtbikes and now mowers and trimmers for cryin' out loud curse them and the damn hippy tree huggers that support them!!!

chuckers
06-26-2004, 01:37 PM
oh ya dont forget snowmobiles are going to have to change to a different engine in 2006

Steve9
06-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Jetskis are already changing.....

txlawnking
06-26-2004, 02:13 PM
:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin EPA

dishboy
06-26-2004, 03:05 PM
I like four cycles on mowers as it saves lots of cash on mix every week and they get better gas mileage as it only fires half as much. Light is good but not worth the trade off IMO.

Fareway Lawncare
06-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Tons of Cash to Run 2-Stroke Mowers?!?!

I can Fill 5-1Gallon Tanks for Less than $4 of Oil...

...Factor in Increased Maint. of 4 Strokes...Much Heavier Weight...2 Stroke 21"s Are Much More Productive than 4 stroke Montrosities....

Luckily I stocked Up!

Diesel
06-26-2004, 06:57 PM
This really is a shame. The 2-cycle engine definitely has its place. Small equipment definitely. Always liked 2-cycle dirt bikes and Lawnboys. I gues I will have to keep my Lawnboy forever....

dishboy
06-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Tons of Cash to Run 2-Stroke Mowers?!?!

I can Fill 5-1Gallon Tanks for Less than $4 of Oil...

...Factor in Increased Maint. of 4 Strokes...Much Heavier Weight...2 Stroke 21"s Are Much More Productive than 4 stroke Montrosities....

Luckily I stocked Up!

Does not take any longer to turn the Honda over and dump the oil out and fill, than to mix oil and gas all the time. I owned two strokes Toro,s and no way is that machine more productive than the HRC 216 Honda. Wet tall grass and it will cut circles around the Toro. Unless they stepped up the hp Suzuki 2 is underpowered IMO.

Fareway Lawncare
06-26-2004, 10:43 PM
I Own Several Prolines & Several Lawnboys....a Few Errant 4 Strokes....Mistakes.....The 4 Strokes Sit as Back-ups Only....

The 5.5 Suzuki Is Fine @3600 RPM...The 6.5hp Duraforce is Better...

4 Stroke 21"s are the Wave of the Future...But they Still Suck!

Aaron Marshall
06-26-2004, 10:59 PM
I suppose next they are going to go after the chain saws, I'd like to see a 4 stroke chain saw last in all the different angles you put them through!

txlawnking
06-26-2004, 11:24 PM
I'd like to see a 4 stroke chainsaw of equal power to a modern 2 stroke that you could pick up, let alone use!!!!! LOL

fixer67
06-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Well, I have been hearing that the EPA is wanting to put a special tax on 2-cycle mix. They claim it is to help pay for clean up programs and such but I thank it is there way of making 2-cycle equipment cost too much to use.

txlawnking
06-27-2004, 02:10 AM
No surprise there fixer. About the only thing good I can say @ the epa is they made Dow chemical clean up their act here in freeport, and actually Dow was already cleaning up and the epa had to chime in with their 2 bits... Lets see other things the epa has ruined, detroit diesel, outboards, 20 yrs ago I'd say cars ( thats fixin' to get worse)....

kedeg
06-28-2004, 12:39 AM
Blame California. The lawn-boy DuraForce and the great Suzuki engines are gone. What your dealer has is it. Neither were produced after Jan 2004. You can by short blocks for the Suzuki, but complete engines cannot be sold. Toro asked for a short extension because they were so close to EPA compliance but CARB denied it. You will see many more small engines be equiped with catalytic converters. The Stihl handheld blowers have them and Stihl is switching to the $mix engines instead of the old FS85 engines. RedMax are compliant w/o cat converters (strato)

bwalker
07-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Does anyone know for certain that LB will not be producing two cycles for 05? I talked to the lanwboy 800 number today and no one new anything about them not producing the two cycles for next year.
Regardless I just bought a new comercial unit, but ti would be a hsame if they got rid of this great engine.

locutus
07-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Lawnboy's new catalogue states that the Gold Pro will be the only mower with the 2-cycle Duraforce this year. I'm extremely tempted to get one for my own personal use.