PDA

View Full Version : How Often?

drains
06-26-2004, 12:24 AM
How often do you grease the gearbox on your trimmers? What brand/type grease do you use? Ever have one seize due to lack of lubrication? Does anyone have a grease zerk on thiers? I use Shindaiwa's and they dont have grease zerks on them, thinking of adding one to them. Thanks

RedWingsDet
06-26-2004, 12:31 AM
i must be lost, but ive read the manual for all my equipment, and have never saw anything like that on any of my 2 cycle equipment

MikeLT1Z28
06-26-2004, 12:37 AM
not sure about the 110 but on my 80 and most all other stihl, there is a little bolt with a torx pattern on it near the side of the trimmer head, this is where you grease them.

drains
06-26-2004, 12:45 AM
I know where to grease the gearbox. I was just thinking that it might be more convenient to add a zerk instead of taking that plug out every time. Thanks

MikeLT1Z28
06-26-2004, 12:47 AM
sorry, that answer was more for premier. i think yearly is what they recommend, i know you don't want to let it run dry or over grease it.

drains
06-26-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by PremierLandscaping
i must be lost, but ive read the manual for all my equipment, and have never saw anything like that on any of my 2 cycle equipment

I'm pretty sure they all need to be greased. I think my Shindaiwas are every 50 hours. I do it when I think about it, sometimes:D

RedWingsDet
06-26-2004, 12:51 AM
thanks guys!

also, do i just use the same grease that is inside the zerk gun?

crawdad
06-26-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by MikeLT1Z28
not sure about the 110 but on my 80 and most all other stihl, there is a little bolt with a torx pattern on it near the side of the trimmer head, this is where you grease them.

Stihl has a little tube, loks like a toothpaste tube, but way more expensive. I bought it for my old Stihl hedge trimmer, it threads right into the hole when you take out the bolt.
Guess what? They changed the size, it does not thread into the newer stuff(FS85) so I just squeeze a little in there and put the plug back on.
Crawdad

lahanko
06-26-2004, 07:32 AM
I would not put a grease zerk fitting on. A grease gun has waaaaay to much pressure, something will give. I add grease to my Stihl once a year.

ProMo
06-26-2004, 08:37 AM
on my stihl I just take the end off of my grease gun and the tube threads right on, I ussually do it when the gear box gets real hot

DLCS
06-26-2004, 09:10 AM
Use a needle adapter to grease the gear boxes on your trimmers, you can get them at any auto parts store. I wouldn't grease them but once a year.

Itsgottobegreen
06-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by DLCS
Use a needle adapter to grease the gear boxes on your trimmers, you can get them at any auto parts store.

That is exactly what I do. But I do it twice, once in the beginning and once about mid season.

I got my needle adapter at tractor supply. I lost my first one, so I when and bought 5 more so when I need one I can find it.

mkwl
06-26-2004, 10:21 AM
There is a grease zerk on the gearbox on my new Red Max trimmer which I love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pjslawncare/landscap
06-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Shindowa sells grease in a tube that is special just for trimmer heads. I add once a year in winter as I service all my equipment