PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Round Up or alternative?

pryker
06-26-2004, 08:20 AM
Just bought a gallon of Round Up Pro... $98.00. There has got to be a cheaper location for this stuff?? Where do you guys get yours and how much? Also, is there a cheaper alternative to Round Up? Where can I get that.

One other question... at what percentage to water do you apply round up pro?

Thanks

Phil

MrBarefoot
06-26-2004, 09:02 AM
"Just bought a gallon of Round Up Pro... $98.00. There has got to be a cheaper location for this stuff?? Where do you guys get yours and how much?"

I use Prosecutor SA from Lesco, if you have some haggling skill you can get a better price.

"Also, is there a cheaper alternative to Round Up? Where can I get that."

Check your hardware stores, you will probably find similar generic products for cheaper prices. Before you buy you should check the label and see how much active ingredient there is, don't buy watered down products. keep in mind just because it is cheaper doesn't mean its a better value.

"One other question... at what percentage to water do you apply round up pro?"

Um, this information will be on the label. Round -Up Pro is not the same product as Prosecutor SA, but in my case I mix 1.5 oz of product to one gallon of water, and then spray the target plant until its wet.

ArizPestWeed
06-26-2004, 10:52 AM
The best prices are at Agri. Chem. stores .
Check phone book

pryker
06-26-2004, 11:57 AM
I read the label (actually it was a small book) from cover to cover. There is a section that explains how many onces to use per gallon to get specific percentages (An idiot could figure that out) but does not have a recommendation on percent for killing grass, weeds, etc... I was looking to see what percentage makes the most sense.

Thanks

Phil

Ric
06-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by pryker
I read the label (actually it was a small book) from cover to cover. There is a section that explains how many onces to use per gallon to get specific percentages (An idiot could figure that out) but does not have a recommendation on percent for killing grass, weeds, etc... I was looking to see what percentage makes the most sense.

Thanks

Phil

Phil

Thank you for clearing up your question. The way you wrote your question, I was thinking you were the idiot.

I find that 2.5 oz of Roundup per gallon works best on all weeds. Yes this is the high rate. Roundup will not kill all weeds so anything that is not controlled by this rate generally will not be controlled by Roundup at any rate.

pryker
06-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Ric,

Thanks man!! Hey, you leave in South West Florida? I just moved to Maryland but use to live in Davie Florida. Imagination Farms subdivision. I heard it has been very hot and muggy...

Thanks again.

Phil

Ric
06-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Ric,

Thanks man!! Hey, you leave in South West Florida? I just moved to Maryland but use to live in Davie Florida. Imagination Farms subdivision. I heard it has been very hot and muggy...

Thanks again.

Phil

Phil

You either road your horse to Mc Donald's (Only Mikey D's with a hitching post) or are a retired Dope Smuggler.

Year ago when I did professional trick riding Davie arena was the best kept horse arena in the country. Today Davie Fla. is a upscale Yuppie community and loses it's old Florida cow hunter flavor. Most of old Fla. has also gone the way of the wind.

Gulf coast Florida has been rather dry this year with a late rainy season and temp just at the 90 mark. We are just now getting the much needed rainy season.

ArizPestWeed
06-26-2004, 07:18 PM
I use 2oz per gal.
-That kills all grasses.
When I come across something tuff , I add 1 oz of 24d per gal.

thill
06-26-2004, 11:08 PM
If you are still looking for a lower cost version of round up - glyphosate - try Honcho. It is also produced by Monsanto.

Different label - lower price.

Good Luck

GroundKprs
06-27-2004, 02:24 AM
Just bought a gallon of Round Up Pro... $98.00.

You're going to find that most common chemicals purchased in single gallons will be pricey. For a 2½ gallon jug you would have paid in the range of $140, for the Roundup label. Other generics are cheaper, but most will not be very cheap in 1 gallon lots.

greenerpastures
06-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Glyphosate generics @ agchemical or xsag internet sites can be bought for less than $15/gal. License required and 120 gallon minimum. You can thank the ag industry for plummeting prices due to the huge increase in glyphosate-resistant crops and the corresponding need for large volumes of cheap glyphosate. You can also see the huge profit in packaging glyphosate in 1 gallon containers.

Ric
06-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by thill
If you are still looking for a lower cost version of round up - glyphosate - try Honcho. It is also produced by Monsanto.

Different label - lower price.

Good Luck

Thill

When Monsanto's patent on Glyphosate ran out, Monsanto starting making most of the Knock off label Glyphosate products and kept Roundup Pro. Roundup Pro was the improved version with surfactants that were proven work the best over the years. The Knock off products are Roundup Original. The Surfactants are the original formula and different from Roundup Pro. How much different this makes between product is really anyone guess.

I still buy Roundup Pro. for several reasons. My price is $ 96.00 a 2.5 gallon jug. Roundup Pro label is printed in both Spanish and English and I keep both labels in each truck. Having had my Hispanic workers stop by the State Inspector. They have been able to answer all of his question about the label. Reading from the Spanish and then answering in English. I also believe that Roundup Pro works better than some of the knock off products I have tried.

BTW Glyphosate was developed as a growth regular that was found to control weeds at a higher AI. This in fact was just plan luck for Monsanto, because Roundup is the single biggest profit making Pesticide ever.

BCSteel
06-27-2004, 12:05 PM
I have heard somewhere on here that you can use gas...

pryker
06-27-2004, 05:47 PM
Ric,

Excellent feedback. Thanks for the information. Is there an online source to get Roud Up Pro cheaper? I have been to a few of the local Ag/fert stores in my area and all of them are priced high. Would Lesco sell this or do they have a competing product?

BCSteel,

If I caught someone using gas to kill weeds I would turn them into to whatever authority I could. I live in a neighborhood that is on well water and even though the gas evaporates I am sure it leaves some nasties behind. NO THANKS!!

Phil

greenerpastures
06-27-2004, 06:16 PM
As Ric stated, Monsanto found the motherlode when it patented roundup. But as patents have expired, Monsanto moved their interests into the technology rights of glyphosate-resistant plant breeding. If you ever get a chance to see some of their research labs it is truly "you wont believe it" stuff--who knows what they have in the secure areas. Unfortunately, their corporate politics have caused some marketing blunders in the US and they have allowed foreign countries (Brazil and Argentina) to pirate the technology we US consumers paid for. --sorry for the unasked opinion.

I also agree with Ric in that their product is still the most reliable and consistent. Their packaging and field support has no legitimate competitor from a generic. We use generics at less than half the cost of Monsanto product where a retreatment would be possible if failure occurs (which is very seldom). We use Monsanto Roundup weathermax which is a greater than 50% ai material on sprays that require absolute action and rainfastness in less than 30 minutes. Monsanto tries to enforce a minimum price structure on their products.

The generics often contain the same technical material source as the original, but the difference is in the surfactant and its formulation with the glyphosate.

Ric
06-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Phil

I average buying Fertilizer by the pallet and more than two pallets per month year round. Therefore I would hope I get better prices on most products. I keeping trying to buy from Lesco because of their service and location. However I can not get a competitive price from them at the quantity I buy at. Buying everything from Lesco can cost me a couple thousand more per years. I still buy many things from lesco and would recommend smaller owner operator to use them for the service they give. Sometimes you must pay a little more to get a lot more. We try and sell our services for as much as we can. So does Lesco.

Lesco sells Prosecutor a knock off roundup by Monsanto, or Roundup Ordinal for about the same price. Tractor supply also sell a Monsanto knock off for a good price. Buying on line is not always the best because of shipping costs and hassles.

BCSteel
06-27-2004, 10:05 PM
BCSteel,

If I caught someone using gas to kill weeds I would turn them into to whatever authority I could. I live in a neighborhood that is on well water and even though the gas evaporates I am sure it leaves some nasties behind. NO THANKS!!

Phil

Ya, I know. I was poking fun at the guy who started the gas for weeding thread.

ArizPestWeed
06-28-2004, 01:03 AM
What have you read about Glyfosate ?

Greenpastures

ALVW
06-28-2004, 03:30 PM
Generics work just as well as Round UP PRO. You are simply paying for the Round UP name.

walker-talker
06-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Last time I bought a gallon of Killzall, by Hi-Yield, it cost around $58 a gallon and works well.

ArizPestWeed
06-28-2004, 07:58 PM
I pay $65.00 for honcho 2.5 gal

khutch
06-29-2004, 08:04 AM
Any surfacant needed w/Honcho?

anteater6788
07-08-2004, 07:46 PM
On our farm we have used over 250 gallons of Roundup or generic glysophate so far this year and have used the generics side by side with Roundup for three years now. We have seen no difference in the two products, we have a GPS guidance system on our sprayer which allowed me to spray every other 60' wide pass in one field with a generic and then fill in the middles with Weathermax and there was never any difference that you could see between the two. The generic we used this year was Mirage and it cost right around $14/gallon in 120 gallon quantities. For what it is worth when we are spraying roundup resistant soybeans we use 32 oz of generic or 22 oz of Weathermax per acre along with 12.5 gallons of water as carrier. We can save about $3/acre by using the generic's which adds up fast when you are spraying 1,000+ acres a year with it.

Ric
07-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by anteater6788
On our farm we have used over 250 gallons of Roundup or generic glysophate so far this year and have used the generics side by side with Roundup for three years now. We have seen no difference in the two products, we have a GPS guidance system on our sprayer which allowed me to spray every other 60' wide pass in one field with a generic and then fill in the middles with Weathermax and there was never any difference that you could see between the two. The generic we used this year was Mirage and it cost right around $14/gallon in 120 gallon quantities. For what it is worth when we are spraying roundup resistant soybeans we use 32 oz of generic or 22 oz of Weathermax per acre along with 12.5 gallons of water as carrier. We can save about $3/acre by using the generic's which adds up fast when you are spraying 1,000+ acres a year with it.

Anteater

I once spend a couple of years in college in Fairfield just N.W. of town. The College no longer goes by the same name or is it related to the original College. That was 2 life times ago by the age in your profile. I remember Fairfield as a very rich money making town for its size. Not only lots of good farm land but Industry also. I think Blue Bird Bus was the largest Manufacture there at that time. They make School buses. Even Short ones for BooBy. Yes I had a lot of good times in Fairfield and shouldn't admit I went Parsons College it was a real party School in its day.:D

Roundup is a selective herbicide and yes Agi uses it by the train car load. Most Knock off Roundup is in fact made by Monsanto the makers of Roundup. It is the surfactants that are difference in each of these brand names. There are special blends of Roundup for different Crops also.

sprayman73703
07-09-2004, 12:57 AM
I bought a generic glyphos the other day for 11.95/ gallon in a 30 gallon drum. Of Course this was 41% and not with surfactant. I also have found in my farming and lawn spraying career That a high rate of roundup isn't always neccessary. I have went as low as 8 OZ per acre with 2 OZ per acre banvel 2,4-d mix and some surfactant and had a perfect kill. But you have to have the banvel, D added to help the brodleafs take up the roundup.

Garden Panzer
07-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Where I live Glypho only REALLY works on grasses and SMALL broadleafs. I buy razor by the drum and mix in cheap dish soap, ( under $4 a gall ), and add TriMec or varient.
I up the soap in the wet seasons....