PDA

View Full Version : looking for the best pull behind aerator

perfectlawncare
06-26-2004, 12:01 PM
I am looking for the best pull behind aerator for my Dixie Chopper.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jason Holder

www.perfectlawncare.tk

imograss
06-26-2004, 12:05 PM
I really like me Lesco 48 pull behing core aerator. It is built very heavy and leaves nice long cores. It is also the split rotor type.

Itsgottobegreen
06-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Millcreek. The best of the best. The frame is made from 1.5" solid square bar. I have a 3pt version, which they just add a draw bar then its a tow behind. Its heavy, but I added a lot of tractor weights. My 60" 630 model w/ weights is over 1100 pounds. (the tractor struggles to pick it up) They are not cheap. A bare 60" 3 pt runs $1500. Tow units are $500 more. I got mine used and rebuilt it.

grasscutter122003
06-26-2004, 04:35 PM
I have a Blue Bird/ husqvarna tow behind unit. I really works nice and is a rental grade piece of equipment. I got mine before Husky bought out BlueBird. Nice unit can accept as much weight as you can put on it. It has a crank type lowering system, which means you can lower it to your taste. :)

perfectlawncare
06-27-2004, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys. I want something I can use for a long time and not wear out my wheel motors on my Dixie. I like the Lesco but it seems alittle heavy.

Thanks again for your help,

Jason Holder
www.perfectlawncare.tk

walker-talker
06-27-2004, 02:41 AM
Look into the Classen...they are a good brand. I do not own one, but came close. I did searches and found nothing but good about them.

imograss
06-27-2004, 09:15 AM
I believe the Lesco and the Classen are 1 in the same in the pull behinds, I could be wrong, but I thing ones green and the other is red.

Runner
06-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Yes, they are the same. I have the Millcreek, and while it's a good machine (it's the older model, so it's heavier duty than the new ones), it can't compare to the Classen for structural quality. There is more than twice as much steel on a Classen than there is on the Millcreek. I've been looking at these Classens for some time, now.

DLCS
06-27-2004, 05:44 PM
I don't have one but some guys here use a TurfVent.

http://www.turfvent.com

Lawn-Scapes
06-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Jason,

You say it (the Lesco) seems heavy but it really won't be heavy enough by itself. You will need to add weight to get the deep holes.

Mr. Elm used his Dixie with plenty of added weight... you should be fine once it starts rolling.

Runner
06-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Oops! I made a big mistake. The one I have IS the Turfvent, by Feldmann. Not the Millcreek. The Millcreek IS better built than the Turfvent - especially the new Turfvents. They have really skimped since the earlier ones.