PDA

View Full Version : Notice To Tailgaters!!!

Canadian GreenScape
06-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Im fed up with tailgaters following my trailer around with half their car over the center line of the road like they're going to pass any min (driving through town..) Im going to put a sign on my trailer that says:
ATTENTION TAILGATERS: TRAILER GATE MAY DROP AT ANY TIME!
I dont know about you guys but I always drive at least 5 under the speed limit in town, they just have to get used to it. :p

Trevors Lawn Care
06-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Canadian GreenScape
Im fed up with tailgaters following my trailer around with half their car over the center line of the road like they're going to pass any min (driving through town..) Im going to put a sign on my trailer that says:
I dont know about you guys but I always drive at least 5 under the speed limit in town, they just have to get used to it. :p

give em a good solid brake check....That usually works.

Trevor

SpudsM15
06-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Push the parking brake right to the floor.... That'll gettem good!

DLCS
06-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by SpudsM15
Push the parking brake right to the floor.... That'll gettem good!

It will get you good too. I run a business don't need uneccesary delays in work.

BCSteel
06-26-2004, 04:04 PM
I always drive slower when someone is trying to drive up my azz.

EastProLawn
06-26-2004, 04:09 PM
Just because they are in a rush does'nt mean I am. I take my sweet time when I see someone following a little too close.

snippy
06-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Im going to put a sign on my trailer that says:

I hate to tell you this CG but the people who are too stupid to keep a safe distance between vehicles on the road are usually the same people that "caint reed nor rite neither" so your sign may in fact be of no use :(

tiedeman
06-26-2004, 05:37 PM
I do two things: brake check or go really slow

jajwrigh
06-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Trevors Lawn Care

Trevor

He** Yeah it does!!!!

fga
06-26-2004, 06:48 PM
i get nervous, cuz my tail light/ brake light fuse blows sometimes......:o :o

Tonyr
06-26-2004, 07:22 PM

Love it! Can I borrow that?

Know how ya feel mate, gotta love the road ragers eh?

RedWingsDet
06-26-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Trevors Lawn Care

Trevor

and you usually get a special finger in return!!! lol

crawdad
06-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Get a bumper sticker, "I brake for tailgaters"

hartslawnmain
06-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Just flip your headlight switch and they'll react thinking it's the brake lights. (Only works during daylight hours.)

odin
06-26-2004, 07:49 PM
i cant believe all you guys ....the tailgater is a misunderstand person .......you all should do as i do strive to understand the people who though no fault of their own were born with sh it for brains.....remember a mind is a terrible thing to WASTE no pun intened

Woody82986
06-26-2004, 08:20 PM
I both brack check and drive slower. I hate it when there is a long line of traffic due to an accident or when you are following a wide load and people try to drive up the side and see how many cars they can pass before they have to get back in line due to some obstacle. Yesterday I saw this was happening to me and a guy in front of me so I gradually slid my rig out to the middle of both lanes so the a-holes would have to wait just like the rest of us in one lane. One guy didn't seem to care so I slid all the way over when he came around and he put himself in the ditch. All I ask is for people to have the same amount of patience as everyone else on the road, but when they lose it and start doing stupid things, I must react.

Palmer Lawn Care
06-26-2004, 09:15 PM
I once saw a bumper sticker that said in small letters "If you can read this, I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

Burger
06-26-2004, 09:18 PM
I am no speed demon, and myself generally give truck and trailer combos some leeway, but you Gotta love it.
Drive under the posted speed limit and then whine about tailgaters. Part of the problem is, you do not recognize your part of the problem. Traffic, when flowing properly, should be a ballet. Stacking up a row of vehicles just so you can feel safe is neither safe nor smart. Some states, like mine, require you to pull over if you are hindering more than three vehicles. The last thing we need is people who think they know better messing it up for the rest of us who do.
1) Drive
2) Drive defensively.
3) DRIVE

P.S. I recently discovered with the purchase of a GPS that each every single vehicle I own is five or ten off on the speedometer. some faster, some slower. I'd imagine that in all actuality your not five under, your ten or more, and therefore creating a hazard, yes SLOW traffic is a hazard. I know they do not teach you that in driving school anymore, however, I have logged Millions of miles, over many vehicles, and I say this, Speed does not kill, Stupidity does.
Going to Fast, is, of course, stupid.
Going to slow, is, of course, stupid as well.
Both cause accidents and kill people for the same reason.

Drive Safe

RedWingsDet
06-26-2004, 09:21 PM
what about doing 25mph in a 65zone acting like an old gramma at 8pm while cars are SPEEDING past you while you in the middle of a 3 lane highway!!! lol i havent done this, but ive heard of someone doing it. all i could do is laugh, but if someone hit them, jeezus, i dont even want to know the outcome!!!

Burger
06-26-2004, 09:27 PM
My personal fave pet peeve is Traffic, driving at 45 on a 65 MPH freeway, slows down when it hits a 55 MPH zone. Drives me absolutely nuts. But, what can you do, they are being "Safe"

qualitylandscaping
06-26-2004, 09:36 PM
I've had people so close to the back of my dump trailer, I can't even see them.. That thing has at least 150' of blind view on the back of it.. Probably close to 400' when its loaded up.. People who don't tow trailers, will never understand..

locutus
06-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Burger hit the nail on the proverbial head. I see driving under the posted speed limit as passive aggressive act. The only time I dont see it as aggressive is when it's a blue hair driving the vehicle. I'm a little more tolerant of the blue hairs.

Eric 1
06-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I hate that, it is one of my top 5 pet peeves. I once ruined a set of tires for a guy giving him the brake check, He locked them down so hard it made a noise like a wreck and smoke like a good burn out. He had some nice flat spots for a while, and almost put it in the ditch.

But also i agree that driving slow is as bad to because it blocks up traffic.

fixer67
06-26-2004, 11:12 PM
I know where there is a truck that has a "brake light test switch" on the dash. You can push the button and the brake lights come on without really using the brakes. Just a though. And you can hit the Hazard Warning Lights, that bright flash will scare them the sh** out of them. Now that I have done.

Itsgottobegreen
06-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Palmer Lawn Care
Iers "If you can read this, I can slam on my brakes and sue you"
Thats funny. I think I might go and put that on my truck.

txlawnking
06-26-2004, 11:57 PM
I agree Burger, to get a driver's license in America should be much more difficult. If there was an outright idiot test we wouldn't have near as many cars or traffic or "pollution" so then we could get rid of the cursed EPA, and get our 2 stroke mowers back!!!!!!!

GLS
06-27-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Burger
I am no speed demon, and myself generally give truck and trailer combos some leeway, but you Gotta love it.
Drive under the posted speed limit and then whine about tailgaters. Part of the problem is, you do not recognize your part of the problem. Traffic, when flowing properly, should be a ballet. Stacking up a row of vehicles just so you can feel safe is neither safe nor smart. Some states, like mine, require you to pull over if you are hindering more than three vehicles. The last thing we need is people who think they know better messing it up for the rest of us who do.
1) Drive
2) Drive defensively.
3) DRIVE

P.S. I recently discovered with the purchase of a GPS that each every single vehicle I own is five or ten off on the speedometer. some faster, some slower. I'd imagine that in all actuality your not five under, your ten or more, and therefore creating a hazard, yes SLOW traffic is a hazard. I know they do not teach you that in driving school anymore, however, I have logged Millions of miles, over many vehicles, and I say this, Speed does not kill, Stupidity does.
Going to Fast, is, of course, stupid.
Going to slow, is, of course, stupid as well.
Both cause accidents and kill people for the same reason.

Drive Safe

Very well said, I couldn't agree more.

I do not tailgate, and I do not speed that much. But people who drive 10+ UNDER the speed limit get on my nerves. It slows everyone down and is more dangerous.

TROTTMAN
06-27-2004, 12:46 AM
I'm with Burger, you gotta at least go the speed limit, especially in town. The speed limits are so slow anyway that its almost too safe! JK

HighGrass
06-27-2004, 01:27 AM
Sometimes i wissh i could rig a paint pellot gun to the front and back of my truck...you know,,,just for a little relief.:p

Burger
06-27-2004, 01:35 AM
I once worked my way up through a twenty seven car string in a two and a half ton service truck on a single lane road traveling 35-45 MPH. The Lead car was a lil Subaru hatch back with two lil old ladies in it just a clucking away. My rig had a GOVENOR and I passed em. they pulled off the road in a huff and sat there and watched as twenty seven vehicles accelerated past them to the speed limit.

If your on the road, Drive, please.

Canadian GreenScape
06-27-2004, 08:36 AM
i agree with Burger on the freeway speeds and holding up traffic etc.. If im on a two lane road I pull over to let cars pass if theres a few behind me (its usually my neibours anyway) But Im talking about driving through downtown small town Sussex NB here with crosswalks and pedestrians and cars pulling out of parallel parking spaces.. I have to go a bit slower or Ill have to jam the brakes on. Im gonna keep going under the speed limit in town thank you very much. Trust me its safer where Im talking about.

dishboy
06-27-2004, 10:09 AM
i agree with Burger on the freeway speeds and holding up traffic etc.. If im on a two lane road I pull over to let cars pass if theres a few behind me (its usually my neibours anyway) But Im talking about driving through downtown small town Sussex NB here with crosswalks and pedestrians and cars pulling out of parallel parking spaces.. I have to go a bit slower or Ill have to jam the brakes on. Im gonna keep going under the speed limit in town thank you very much. Trust me its safer where Im talking about.

Safer for who?

Canadian GreenScape
06-27-2004, 01:05 PM
For everyone .....

brucec32
06-27-2004, 04:51 PM
If you are so in a hurry that someone going the speed limit makes you crazy, you need to reorganize your life so that you have more time. I hate tail gaters and on more than one occasion have dialed 911 and had them pulled over when they got too aggressive. And before anyone says that's wasting police time, they're simply redirecting a traffic unit sitting by the side of the road with a radar gun, not a car headed to a bank robbery.

I knew a guy who solved the problem by tossing pennies up through his sunroof, where they struck the following car, but were so small they couldn't figure out where the objects were coming from. Not smart, but it worked. They probably assumed he was kicking up rocks and backed off.

DLCS
06-27-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by brucec32
If you are so in a hurry that someone going the speed limit makes you crazy, you need to reorganize your life so that you have more time.

Bruce,

I agree with you. But, Canadian Greenscape said that he goes at least 5mph under when pulling a trailer. I can see how that would upset someone and it would me too if i was behind him. Just like the people who drive 5mph under the limit when a cop is following behind them on a busy 2 lane road. Slower moving vehicles are a hazard cause this makes people do silling actions to get around them.

Burger
06-27-2004, 08:16 PM
I am not worried about people who are actually driving, just the fine folks who think they know better who are NOT driving. I believe there is a difference.

mtdman
06-27-2004, 08:31 PM
I wait the day that one of these idiot tailgaters slams into my trailer because they are too close to me. I worry about it all the time, as close as some of them drive. It's stupid to follow a car that closely, I don't care if I'm driving too slow. Riding my ass isn't going to get me to drive faster. Back off or pass.

Precision
06-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Back off or pass is right.

I find that I never get tailgated when I have a load of yard debris on the trailer. Even though it is tarped and everything, the idiot parade is afraid of the stray leaf blowing out.

BUT, they are not afraid of rear-ending me and having a 1200 lb gravely PM 260 land on their hood.

I gradually grind to a near halt with obsessive tailgaters.

When I am not in my lawn rig, I will occassionally (only with the worst offenders) wait until they have to slow down or it me, then accelerate away from them for a while and wait for them to catch up then let off the gas and down shift. Of course keeping a real close eye on them. This usually scares the cr ap out of them. No brake lights but a suddenly slower car.

Worked wonders for a guy that kept charging me then slamming on his brakes. He had flat spots on his tires. Really stupid thing was that I had 20+ cars in front of me all spaced at proper following distance and we were already 15 over in a 70 zone.

Canadian GreenScape
06-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Thats 5km/h below the speed limit (Im in Canada) Speed limit is 50km/h (31mph) in town, I go 45km/h (28mph) usually.

The Land Transport Safety Authority States that:

- When towing your loaded trailer, you must be capable of stopping within seven metres from a speed of 30 km/h.

- For "light trailers" the maximum towing speed is 80km/h. They also state that when towing you should travel at a "moderate" speed (I take that to be at or just below the speed limit)

Yes my trailer has electric brakes.. If any of you guys in a rush are ever behind me when Im going my 5km/h under the speed limit beep your horn 3 times and give the secret LCO hand signal and Ill pull over and let you pass :p

MikeLT1Z28
06-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by brucec32
I knew a guy who solved the problem by tossing pennies up through his sunroof, where they struck the following car, but were so small they couldn't figure out where the objects were coming from. Not smart, but it worked. They probably assumed he was kicking up rocks and backed off.

a friend of mine had an old datsun 710 in high school. we took all the carpet out to clean it one day and noticed a hole in the floor board. he cut a hole in the carpet (under a floor mat) and when he had a 'gater, he pulled the mat out of the way and dispersed a few BB's out of said hole. those things really bounce at highway speeds, makes some noise against the floor pan too. probably looked just like a rock coming out from under the car.

dishboy
06-28-2004, 06:02 PM
For everyone .....

It's not safer for anyone, for you,for the guy that plows into you when you stop and the guy behind him, or anybody in the way when the guy behind you flies by you. When everybody drives 5 over and your 5 under all's it does is piss the world off at you and create a traffic bottleneck. No way is this safer. If you can't stop in a reasonable amount of time at the posted limit the problem is your equipment and you might consider upgrading.

Canadian GreenScape
06-28-2004, 09:37 PM
Well I dont agree with you but thats the way it is I guess...

qualitylandscaping
06-28-2004, 10:26 PM
SPEED LIMITS are made for a reason.. go THE speed limit or get off the road

topsites
03-27-2005, 10:57 AM

The book answer is to allow MORE distance in FRONT of you :-)

But yes, the tailgating frustates me, too ...
Somedays it outright tests me.

Parking brake? No way, that wears the crap out of the rear brakes and can cause a skid.

Wait until you drive 5 OVER to compensate, and it doesn't help (it usually doesn't). What I found helps is:
a) Have extra running lights and turn lights ON during the day.
b) Coast. Lots. It's like brake-testing but without the danger. Brake-testing is, unfortunately, not defensive driving (don't get me wrong, I am sorely tempted to do it somedays).
c) Increase distance in front of you slowly and drive leisurely. Sometimes this helps set the mood: lalala ... Which can help the person behind you not be in so much a rush. A quiet muffler and an easy throttle helps also.

And to the tailgater: If you stayed off the gas a little more, you'd save fuel.
No, drafting does not conserve enough fuel, and it is risky.

Last note:
- IF someone hits you in the rear, it is ALWAYS the fault of the person who hit you in the rear, except:
If you tested your brakes then that is your fault because you helped cause the accident (I think it's called willful negligence or something). You can lie about it, but it doesn't make it right :-)

topsites
03-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Get a bumper sticker, "I brake for tailgaters"

May not be a good idea, if someone does hit you, the police may be influenced by the sticker to think you may have done it on purpose (even if you didn't).
And suddenly it's your fault.

topsites
03-27-2005, 11:06 AM
I wait the day that one of these idiot tailgaters slams into my trailer because they are too close to me. I worry about it all the time, as close as some of them drive. It's stupid to follow a car that closely, I don't care if I'm driving too slow. Riding my ass isn't going to get me to drive faster. Back off or pass.

As Dale Earnhart used to say:
Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta the way.

LawnsRUsInc.
03-27-2005, 11:07 AM
In winter we just hit them with a little salt from the salt spreader it work every time. I recieved a call last year becasue my guys wouldnt let some lady pass and she got all upset. The trailer was to wide and long ok lady tough.

BobR
03-27-2005, 11:42 AM
If possible I always do the speed limit when towing . If my speed is limited by another driver or procession of slower vehicles I will maintain that speed with an adequate amount of room ahead of me for any one who is able to pass to do so. Tailgaters are a concern but I do not retaliate for their aggressive stupidity. What REALLY lights my fire are the jerks that use the breakdown lane in their personal haste in making a right turn, If I ever have an accident it will probably involve on of those bozo's.

BobR

lawnlubber
03-27-2005, 12:39 PM
I drive a 17 ft cube van. It is slow climbing hills and getting up to speed to merge, so I keep it in the slow lane and off the I system. But if a tailgator rearends me in town it's all their problem. At that speed in my rig (It weighs 5 tons loaded and has a massive rear bumper) I won't feel a thing and they'll pay a ticket and do massive damage to their own car. BTW I can't see you back there so I don't do any brake checks or anything else, just please don't someone kill themselves thinking they can force me to drive faster.

tjgray
03-27-2005, 03:40 PM
It's not the tailgaters that worry me so much as the ones who are risking their lives to get in front of you.

Most of the drive here is interstate and the common speed is 75mph to 80mph. There is no way I ever want my husband doing 80mph in our trucks especially when he is carrying 100 gallons of chemicals.

It is my biggest worry as the folks around are always in such a rush and drive like they are in a race every day. They cut you off without a moments hesitation and then will slam on their breaks at the drop of a dime. Cutting across three lanes of traffic to exit is common place. Trust me no way to describe it but craziness. There are wrecks all over the place all the time.

I have often wished that we could move away from the city and still make our business profitable but unfortunately those 4 million race car drivers that drive the interstates daily also all like their properties to be beautiful.

Big city life definitely has it's disadvantages and headaches but unfortunately big cities are where the money is.....

One day we shall make that million and retire from this place but it won't be anytime soon. Until then my husband will just have to hear my daily be carefuls :)

Eddie B
03-27-2005, 04:23 PM
I hate it when I need to change lanes, and people are too busy passing me to even let me over.

GTLC
03-27-2005, 04:52 PM
What I do- I slow down to a mere crawl then gun it or stay going slow then when they try to pass illegally on a double yellow I gun it and try to keep them back.

spoolinaround
03-27-2005, 06:45 PM
I have electric trailer brakes and my controller has a panic button and when you press that button it LOCKS up the trailer brakes and activates the brakelights too nomatter what, it feeds 12v to the magnets and the wheels lockup, even with a 7000# load

I like to get someone on the freeway behind me that thinks he has to go faster but is scared to pass so he tries to push me, all I do is let off the gas a little and push that button, instant tiresmoke and brakelights and 9 times out of 10 they swerve off into the median and I just keep going while LMAO

LOL

lpwhandyman
03-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Just drift off the road enough to go over the white line a little bit. It kicks up all of those loose stones and it works almost every time.