PDA

View Full Version : customer hires others for extras...

bobbygedd
06-26-2004, 01:39 PM
would this upset you? a customer, very good customer, needed extras done. #1- at a house she just bought, but is occupied by her son, she needed alot of brush, stumps cleared and disposed of. she asked me for a quote, i told her, never got an answer. same customer incident #2-she's putting in a shed in her back yard. she wants a 14x14 section torn up, leveled, and 2.5" of blue stone put in. i quoted $375. she hired someone else to do both jobs, she was very nice, but said my prices were a bit high. would this get you upset?

txlawnking
06-26-2004, 01:42 PM
My best customer farms out her bed work to another landscaper as I haven't developed that end of my biz yet. Quit whining at least you still have her as a customer.

bobbygedd
06-26-2004, 01:47 PM
i'm not whining, in the least. if i can't get my price, i can't do the job. pretty simple

Rich's Lawn Care
06-26-2004, 02:03 PM
I had the samething happen!! One of my weekly customers asked me for a price on doing her mulch and it was a big job for me 10 yards. I gave her the quote and called her the next day and she said that they where not going to do mulch this year. Two weeks later I pull up to mow and they have all new mulch I knock on the door and asked here what was up and she said that they got a better price from the guy with the bark blowing truck.

Ol'time Lawncare
06-26-2004, 02:55 PM
If i roll up and any other landscaping crew is on any of my lawns , doing any thing,i'll drop that custom like a hot potato!they all except my prizes!thats it, put it in your contrack.

GrassBustersLawn
06-26-2004, 03:04 PM
I don't care if they don't use me, if my price is higher then someone else (mulching for example). I don't like being LIED TO. For some reason some people can't tell the truth. If I quote a price for mulching (per yard) and someone else wants to do it for HALF THAT PRICE, I figure GO RIGHT AHEAD. I'm not breaking my back if I'm not making the money necessary to make a profit. In fact, I'd rather MOW ALL DAY, because I can make more per hour doing that (with less effort) then doing a mulch or cleanup job.

Mike

EastProLawn
06-26-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm with you on this one Bobby. It's their choice to hire whoever they want, but it would be a polite gesture to give us the work. Especially the if you have been good to them in the past. On have only a few customers who have done this to me and I know I should'nt let it bother me, but it does. After all, we are in this business to pick up more work which in return equals more money.

rodfather
06-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Wouldn't bother me a bit bg...they're one-time extras...bfd. Forget bout it IMO.

bobbygedd
06-26-2004, 04:53 PM
i'm not upset one bit. my biggest problem is curiousity. what did this guy charge that was so much lower that he got the work?

Rich's Lawn Care
06-26-2004, 05:28 PM
It didn't bother me that someone else did there mulch, what bothered me was she said they where not going to do mulch this year. And then had someone do it. I would have no problem if it was price.

ollie212@tds.net
06-26-2004, 06:39 PM
add ons / extras are very big money .. to turn them down or lose money by not doing them can hurt you.. and allowing another lawn care/ landscaping co. to be in your account could cause u to lose them for mowing.. customer says hey if mulch price is better maybe mowing price is to. we guard our customers very tightly..thats why we offer everything lawn care landscaping ,fert,ponds, retaining walls , patios , etc. I found out 12 years ago that if you dont someone else will ..companies like to pay one lco to do it all . thats why we have very loyal customer base,,many be with me from the start. very big commercial accounts. and residential.. we offering abid like tha say if you do look for another bid how about giving me a chance to beat it .. 25.00 maybe the only thing keeping you from getting the job.. good luck

Lux Lawn
06-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Sometimes I have a problem with it if its a job I want then yes if there has been a lot of rain and we are backed up then know I don't care because most of the time another job will take its place when we are caught up.

Lux Lawn
06-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Bobby

Are you doing snowplowing in the winter? because thats what pisses me off is when your landscaping customers have somebodyelse plow there driveway.

BSDeality
06-26-2004, 07:49 PM
he probably did it for nothing (in comparison). i had that happen to me this spring, one customer found "another guy" to do the spring clean up on 1.5acres for $75 including dethatching it all!. i said, hell for $75 he can bust his ass all day for it, no sweat off my butt. The guy showed up with a crew of 3 and was there for 4 hours! thats practically $6/hr! i have no problem with competition, but $6/hr? come on!

I got a call from my ex-customer last week. saying he'd like to get back into my schedule cause the other guy started was starting to become unreasonably expensive. he used the spring cleanup as his way in to get the account then started inflating prices.

bobbygedd
06-26-2004, 07:53 PM
lux, not plowing, just residential walkways and driveways. snowblower, shovel, coors light

Tonyr
06-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Thing thay gets me Bobby is, funny how clients want our 150% loyalty to serve them, but they will show none back and scre.w you first chance they get.

people are funny.

dkeisala
06-26-2004, 08:13 PM
I had this sort of thing happen once. I dropped the customer and never looked back. Seems like it's always the people with the most money that want to give the other guy their business because he's $10 cheaper, regardless of the quality of the work you've done for them in the past. Loyalty means nothing to them.

bobbygedd
06-26-2004, 08:14 PM
tony, like i said, i give service with a smile, i'm pleasant, courteous, respectful. as long as they aint tryin to screw me. the minute they try to shaft me out of a nickle, they get the dr. jeckle and mr. hyde treatment. i know i'm nothing to them, and i never forget they are nothing to me.

olderthandirt
06-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Bobby it sounds to me that you won't have to put up with this customer to long. If they start shopping prices on 1 thing they will shop them on all, and you know all that loyalty crap suppose to only work one way, you to them. I would get her for all I could on a job and then drop her!:angry: if she still wants you, up your price and come on back

Mac

twwlawn
06-26-2004, 10:46 PM
If is something that I don't do, I have no problems, but if it is in the contract, I drop them less than a heartbeat after being payed to date. Don't have time for two faced customers.

Tonyr
06-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
tony, like i said, i give service with a smile, i'm pleasant, courteous, respectful. as long as they aint tryin to screw me. the minute they try to shaft me out of a nickle, they get the dr. jeckle and mr. hyde treatment. i know i'm nothing to them, and i never forget they are nothing to me.

Yeah mate, same here, I'm nice always until they change the game then I'm still pleasant but don't take the crap, we have to stand our ground, after all it's us who supplies the expensive gear, us who work in the heat etc, they should feel lucky when they get a good contractor, many do, a lot don't, my quotes vary with clients attitude, if they are crap win them or not doesn't matter, crap clients are temporary ones nowadays.

your last comment is so true and I wish more guys would wake up to this instead of acting like we are the clients lawn who.res.

I treat clients the way they treat me, nice is good, abrupt works for me too, rude earns me an extra 30%, I can drop a client as quick as they can drop me, start getting buddy buddy and this clouds everything up, we are here to earn money, not make friends, if a friendship is made unintentionally that's a bonus, but can make business decisions hard when things go sour.

We are just lawn whor,es to many of em, they are just money to us, no love lost, just a game we play to survive, we know how many think of us due to the crap work many do, if we keep that in mind when they are pissin.g in our pocket when we are writing quotes we are better off.

business is business, and recently I read how guys will stop for jobs and charge$5, this is part of the problem, why charge at all then...hell no, any stop must be a set min. regardless of size, we are our worse enemy, really...reckon the client will keep you if the next kid charged $4? Hell no! See what I mean....?

Richard Martin
06-27-2004, 03:49 AM
It doesn't bother me one little bit if they hire someone else to do the extras. In fact if they want extras done they had better hire someone else. I do one thing and I do it well. I am not distracted by concerns of if materials will be delivered or if I have time this week to get to something.

A few years ago a lady with a fairly nice waterfront stopped me and asked me to give her a price on servicing her lawn and taking care of her landscaping. I explained to her that I would be glad to service her lawn but she would have to find someone else to take care of the landscaping. She said thanks but no thanks.

Well 3 years go by and 2 different full service contractors. She finally called me and asked for just a lawn service pricing. She said that she saw me constantly on the same lawns week after week and that it didn't seem that I ever missed a cut. Her full service contractors always had an excuse for not showing up whether it be because they were backed up or somebody didn't show up for work or whatever.

I make darn good money by just cutting grass and that is through consistancy and maximizing and taking every advantage of every opportunity to get on a customers lawn.

moneyman
06-27-2004, 05:29 AM
Its called an estimate not a contract.If you hate giving free estimates then start charging for them. Its the cost of doing business.
She has no obligation to pick you. Yours prices are probaly to high for her if she is choosing someone else. Its her money let her spend it her way otherwise she might as well sign the checking account over to you.

bobbygedd
06-27-2004, 09:28 AM
moneyman i agree totally, and am not upset that she hired someone else. like i said i'm damn curious about how low his price was. i use this mechanic in town. he's good, he's fair, he's honest, he's a small operation. i could get my oil changed for $14.99, but i use him for $25. he is actually a little higher on most services, but i use him because we have established a relationship.

Itsgottobegreen
06-27-2004, 11:17 AM
I hate when I see someone else on my properties. Unless its the spray guy(I don't do that, I sub it out) but then I get upset since I can cut because he just sprayed

When I do see someone else its because they undercut me. But you get what you pay for. When I do mulch, I used a bedmaster(buddy's machine, I am buying on next year), weed, spray, place all mulch in by hand, and level the mulch. So I charge a premium for all this. Every mulch customer I have wants me back again and again.

The people that under cut me just put down mulch and it looks bad. No edging, no weeding, spray is a maybe, etc. I had one job that was $1100, the next closest bid was $700. I still did it, because the people knew my rep.

The main reason I bought my kubota tractor was to offer more services. There are less and less LCO that do it all. loyal customers want it all done, no matter what the price. I got one guy, that tells me not to bother even giving him a price. Just do it and bill me. (I have done a lot of work for him, he keeps me busy 1/2 day to a day each week between, his two houses and his son's house)

I drop PITAs even if it costs me, I might drop this one account thats starting to become one. I got to much other work to do to put up with PITAs accounts.

EastProLawn
06-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Tonyr
Thing thay gets me Bobby is, funny how clients want our 150% loyalty to serve them, but they will show none back and scre.w you first chance they get.

people are funny. My sentiments exactly, that's why it does bother me a little bit. They want all the perks from you but then shaft you on a good little money making project.