PDA

View Full Version : Cut Price in Half for cutting just half for cust?

mexiking
06-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi, One of my customers that normally gets charged $35 per visit... We didn't cut the front half because there was a lot of construction going on, On the back half we kept doing though. He wrote me an email that I'm killing him with the bill. "Lets settle on
$20 per cut for June and we can return to the $35 full price now that you
have started to cut the front again."
Should I Lower the price or say that price is same. What do you guys do on these situations?

Mr_Marc
06-26-2004, 12:59 PM
I would cut him a break.

Fantasy Lawns
06-26-2004, 01:01 PM
We charge monthly ... same price .... year round

What I would do is aggree to the "discount" n when the debri is removed the grass should be taller than normal n charge an additional amount to cover the added labor

mexiking
06-26-2004, 01:34 PM
yeah I agree with fantasy lawns more

Woody82986
06-26-2004, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't give him any breaks. You had to drive there to mow it. If anything, keep to bill the same and just don't charge him too much more for the extra work you are having to do to get his front lawn back into shape. I know that if I cut the price for not being able to mow part of a property I am basically mowing for free.

Expert Lawns
06-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Fantasy said it all, exactly what I did in that s ituation

EagleLandscape
06-26-2004, 02:56 PM
All i know is that a little goodwill will go a long way... That's all I'm saying.

CSRA Landscaping
06-26-2004, 03:15 PM
I'd cut him some slack this time. Just be sure he understands that it's a one-time deal. He'll appreciate it. And while I understand charging for more labor, unless it's SIGNIFICANTLY more, I wouldn't do it, personally.

EastProLawn
06-26-2004, 03:59 PM
I really don't have a sraight answer for you on whether or not to cut the price but what I do want to say is, it should be you that iniates the prices not the customer. I have been in the same situation a few times and have never had a customer ask me to take something off the price. I have always offered and they have always said, we agreed on a price and that's where we will keep it. If you don't stay in control they will start to demand crazier and crazier things.

TheKingNJ
06-26-2004, 05:09 PM
how long has he been your coustomer? Do you like mowing his yard? I'd consider cutting him a break but then on the other hand I won't go anywhere for anything less then 35 bucks. Anything smaller then that is not worth me opening up my trailer.

ollie212@tds.net
06-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Heres how we handle something like this.. I will knock off 5.00 while im not mowing the front .. not to say his front is only worth 5.00 but i still have to drive there pay taxes ins. gas, wages, and etc. If he doesnt like this offer then maybe u have to evaluate is he worth keeping .. 20.00 is just not worth it to me . we have a 35.00 min. period no exceptions. if im not making 35.00 im not making any money.. im not going to trade dollar for dollar.. what that means is after expenses im not going to break even.

Lux Lawn
06-26-2004, 05:32 PM
One price for the month is what we charge if there are 5 Mondays in the month they still get charged the same as 4 but if there ids a drought and I skip it a week they still get charged a full month.

mexiking
06-26-2004, 07:11 PM
yeah I do 15 houses there...
Hes been a customer for like 3 years pretty good... ALways pays. I think I'm going to give a discount and just charge more for whatever long I take on the long parts.

dkeisala
06-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Our price is our price. We run a packed and tight schedule. Why should I take it in the shorts because a customers lawn is unaccessible? It's their problem, not ours. You reduce the price and you've just slashed your profit because your expenses are still relatively the same.

crawdad
06-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Woody's got a good point, if you were unable to cut the front for a long time, it must have been a bush-hog job by the time you got to it.
Screw the email, go there, look him in the eye and tell him you have a minimum charge, even if it's only 25 bucks. We can't let the customers dictate the prices. We are not the kid up the road with Dad's mower.
Crawdad

mexiking
06-26-2004, 07:30 PM
yeah the discount won't be the $20 he says... Its whatever I say. Which will be 25.

HOOLIE
06-28-2004, 12:55 AM
This time of year a lot of customers have those annoying 'summer projects' going on, with contractors leaving all their junk all over my lawns. I just mow right around it. If the customer didn't give me a heads up I'm not gonna wait till these guys finish building that deck. It used to be, I would see sawhorses and stuff, and I would knock on the door. Then they get talking to you, wasting more of your precious time. Then they still want you to cut it, so it ends up taking longer than normal.

But if you want to negotiate a lower price, make sure it is worthwhile. Minimum charges don't matter, what matters is how much you make per hour. And if there is construction in the backyard, the grass won't be a foot tall in 3 weeks. It's gonna be trampled, flattened like the proverbial pancake. So just make sure you make out on your end...

impactlandscaping
06-28-2004, 02:08 AM
Regardless of how long he has been a client, It is crazy to drop the price in half, or close to it. The price you agreed to mow should have been a figure you arrived at to cover gas, employees, comp, taxes, etc. Those costs aren't going down for you, are they? I have seen some people abuse the "this stuff will only be here a week" line with contractor's tearing around the property. I've seen several " one week " projects run as long as 3 months, and I assume no less. Charge the full contracted price for the lawn, and eventually he will light a fire under them to get going and clear the material from the lawn. Then, if necessary, charge for a high cut and cleanup in the front. I don't let customers dictate how we do business, give an inch, and they'll take a mile and then some...JMHO..