PDA

View Full Version : Equipment

rookie03
06-26-2004, 05:47 PM
How many of you stay away from using push mowers? For those of you that stick to smaller lawns I know the push mower gets quite a bit of use, but for those doing large accounts with ditches or tight areas that you can't get the Z, what do you use? Push mower? Trimmer? Walk Behind? I've seen a lot of ppl around here w/ 2 ZTR's and no walk behind or push mower. I guess they trim where they can't get the Z, but wouldn't it be much faster if they used a walk behind or push mower at the least?

Mark McC
06-26-2004, 07:38 PM
I suppose it depends on one's route, but I cannot imagine handling the work around these parts (northern Virginia) without a walk-behind.

It's possible to have a couple of really large properties that one could do with just a zero and a 21" mower, but that strikes me as really atypical. Any slopes of a certain grade and size (if it's a 25-degree slope, but it's only ten feet long and four feet high, who cares?) will kinda scream for a walk-behind.

In Florida, maybe one could get away with just a 21 and a zero, but around here? No dice.

BSDeality
06-26-2004, 07:58 PM
60 Z + 48" WB and a trimmer is what i go out with. if i need to use a 21" i pass on the job.

Diesel
06-26-2004, 08:02 PM
I have a 52" Bunton Hydro that is extremely manueverable. Can't say that I have tried a rider, other than my JD 3010 tractor......

locutus
06-26-2004, 08:45 PM
If my 36" is too big, I dont want the account.

Kelly's Landscaping
06-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by rookie03
I guess they trim where they can't get the Z, but wouldn't it be much faster if they used a walk behind or push mower at the least?

Actually I can mow a 1500 square feet area with a trimmer in less time then it would take to get a 21 inch push mower down and set up. Push mowers have there place they make better lines but in all honesty I can get a better cut with a line trimmer then I can double cutting with a push mower. Now walk behind there is no competing with of course a 36-60 inch WB is going to be faster then weed wacking. But they donít always fit and sometimes the hills to steep for even WBs.

I currently run 2 crews one with a WB a ZTR and two 21 inch snappers. And one with a pair of ZTRs. The ZTR crew is mine and it makes a lot more money but an account is an account and why turn them down if its still makes a proffit.

RedWingsDet
06-26-2004, 09:27 PM
i take anything i can get, unless it takes me 30+ minutes to drive there and cant charge enough to make a profit

PMLAWN
06-26-2004, 11:41 PM
I still need a 21 on some of my jobs and I am starting an HOA July 1 that I need one with a bag in the pool area. I have a 2cycle Lawnboy as a good mower and my dealer is looking for a 2 cycle Toro or Exmark. I also have 4 junk 21" MTDs and Huskys that I use on some of my commerical jobs. I use those to cut the drainage ditch as it is much quicker than string trimmer and I feel it looks better. 3 were given to me and the 4th was $5.00 at a garage sale. I will mix and match parts to keep one running but I will not put money into them. My main mower on small lots is a 36 hydro that I just picked up.