PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep your trimmer guards on?

Acute Cut
06-26-2004, 06:58 PM
In writing this article for the stihl 110 trimmer i came across an interesting topic with my dealer. Trimmer guards, do you keep them on yes, no, sometimes. Try and elaborate if yall can. Ill post my opinions too. I am also going to make another poll as well about line length, since it ties in with this one i believe i am hoping yall can post there too. Thanks everyone. I will probably be using these results in my article as well.

fga
06-26-2004, 07:00 PM
guard comes off immediately. i wear safety glasses though.

RedWingsDet
06-26-2004, 07:04 PM
i leave mine on. what are the advantages of taking it off?

tiedeman
06-26-2004, 07:04 PM
this is the first year that I took my guards off....why didn't I do it sooner. Saves so much time, less weight on the head, and able to get into tight fitting areas

Acute Cut
06-26-2004, 07:07 PM
:D So far just as i thought. Dont forget to vote too guys. I need actual numbers to be able to write with and quote from. Thanks

RedWingsDet
06-26-2004, 07:08 PM
im going to take mine off this week and see how i like it...

*me runs outside to tackle the stihl 110 and take the guard off!!!*

twwlawn
06-26-2004, 09:44 PM
I leave it on, never the thought of taking it off. Deflects most clippings or whatever might get hit. The new shields are narrow than the older ones.

locutus
06-26-2004, 10:48 PM
I have never taken the guard off of my trimmers, so this leads me to a question I've never seen asked of those who take them off. How do you control the length of line without the cut-off knife? I mean a real DA could wind up with 15" on both sides of the head if he weren't careful. I have a Redmax 2600s and the shield is almost non-existant anyway.

fga
06-26-2004, 10:55 PM
just the act of trimming takes care of the length. the only time i've ever had to cut my line myself, is when i restring it, and its alittle long. I'm constantly tapping, well not as much since i've been using titanium husky:cool:

tiedeman
06-26-2004, 10:57 PM
yup, never have had a problem with long line

two_planks
06-26-2004, 10:59 PM
I've been thinking about trying it with out the guard but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this next week

NNJLandman
06-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Take em off, I find it easier although more dangerous, to trim around things under fences and posts.

Jeff

thapco4
06-26-2004, 11:30 PM
I take mine off immediately. You can get a little more string w/o the guard and it seems to cut better.

RELIABLELAWNMAN
06-26-2004, 11:34 PM
Everything is just like it came from the dealer. My concern is the
liability issue if someone is hurt and the equipment has been modified. My insurance in Calif. is outrageous!!!!

sawman65
06-26-2004, 11:34 PM
if you own a stihl it voids the warranty and stihl warrantys the clutch for life
the only time i have replaced a clutch in the last ten years was when the guard had been removed and i have been selling and repairing stihl for 19 years

viking72
06-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Caught one in my eye.
Guards,shields, ect. reinstalled on all equipment.
Later,
Doug

luke125
06-26-2004, 11:45 PM
i tried it with mine off but theirs one problem if i get too much string out i lose power and it doesn't cut good so im leaving mine on

Acute Cut
06-27-2004, 12:14 AM
honestly, i have run with mine off for years. I changed heads and got narrower string. I can run longer line and be WAYmoreefficieant in a day. I ususually change string Maybe once or twice a day. I have about 10 inches or so on each side of my head. Sometimes more. I would like to see ANYONE running a guard on keep up with me.

Gauntlets dropped.........

BareFootLawn
06-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Burned the clutch out of one while running with the guard off. While trimming high weeks, they would wrap around the shaft. Keeping them on the new one.

fga
06-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by BareFootLawn
Burned the clutch out of one while running with the guard off. While trimming high weeks, they would wrap around the shaft. Keeping them on the new one. i did that recently, on my echo, but i still throw the guard i the garbage.

txlawnking
06-27-2004, 12:48 AM
The guard's still on my Kawi' for durability's sake, But I think I may cut some off of the right side, then I'll still have the line the correct length, and I'll have less weight and more manueverability. Taking it off completely deffinatelly is harder on the clutch and the motor( lugging).

Lbilawncare
06-27-2004, 12:56 AM
We started taking ours off this season and noticed a huge speed up in productivity. As long as you don't let out too much line the motor doesn't bog down, if you do let out too much line just run it along a sidewalk or chainlink fence.

TROTTMAN
06-27-2004, 01:37 AM
I would probably do it, but it voids the warrenty and I am not willing to bolt the thing back on and walk into the shop and lie to the guys in there. I keep mine on while under warrenty!

Acute Cut
06-27-2004, 03:21 AM
wow, yet another post that surprises the heck out of me. I always think of LCO's as lawn style Tim Allen's like me. Bigger, better, faster. I aint great or nothing, but i love my big ol trimmers. It blows me away to see that over 60% of yall like guards and the such. I guess i see now why trimmer companies keep putting out these small trimmers. My market is as follows:

:D
POWER
14 INCH LINE (Per side if i can get away with it)
Chromed handle!
POWER!!
Fuel efficiency to last for days
A trimmer head made for PROFESSIONALA and not NEWBIES!
POWER!!!!!
I dont give a BobbyGedd's (rats:D )Arse about weight, i want POWER!
I can get Arnold looking arms from doing my job and i am complaining why? NOT I!!!
My personal opinion (after a few here) GIMME THE DANG POWER! I DONT CARE IF YOU HAVE TO MOUNT AN INLINE 6 ON A TRIMMER, I WANT MORE!!!!!!!! HEAVY? ILL GET BIGGER THEN!!!!!!!!!!!! ARG ARG ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I have seriously asked my mechinic if he could mount my 6hp motor from my 21 onto a trimmer shaft. I aint mech. inclined so he explained my 42 cc tanaka was better than the 6 hp 21 engine. Is this true? If not i want to MONSTER TRIM!!(TM?, lol)

I think it was best said by Snoop"Want some, get some, bad enough take some!"
Man i love my trimmer!:D :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:
(psst: And my rum and cokes tonight! Dont tell though. shhhh!!!!))

TClawn
06-27-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by locutus
I have never taken the guard off of my trimmers, so this leads me to a question I've never seen asked of those who take them off. How do you control the length of line without the cut-off knife? I mean a real DA could wind up with 15" on both sides of the head if he weren't careful. I have a Redmax 2600s and the shield is almost non-existant anyway.

if your using a bump feed just don't bump it on full throttle.

TClawn
06-27-2004, 03:41 AM
how would having the guard off brake the clutch?

dishboy
06-27-2004, 08:57 AM
No guards for lawns, one line real long, and just replace clutches.

lawnman_scott
06-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by TClawn
how would having the guard off brake the clutch? By having it off and running the line longer it burns out the clutch faster. The clutch is about $15-20 and will last about a year with the gaurd off. Its the first thing to go on mine, followed by the spark arrester.

John Gamba
06-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Yes i keep them on._________________________

kels
06-27-2004, 10:00 AM
I took mine off last year and noticed an increase in speed.

1. I can get in tighter areas.
2. can get around small objects without circling them (now can trim with the backside of the trimmer)
3. can let out more length of line when cutting slopes.

For these reasons alone I will replace clutches and whatever else may break and still come out better in the long run.

I also noticed that I do not get hit with more debris, the guard on the Redmax was not a big help in that area.

On another note I put an extra handle (now I have 2) on the shaft for better control in tighter areas, helped out alot.

selnoil
06-27-2004, 10:22 AM
I saw a bunch of guys around here with them off so we gave it a try. We really liked not having them on. Our speed did pick up but the biggest thing we noticed was that less grass went into the mulch beds. Now that our grass has started to slow down it probably wouldn't make a difference but it sure did during the growth spirt.

Regarding sting length, we switched to rapid loader heads this season and really like them. No more winding sting, we just cut a bunch of 8" sting put them in a cup by our trimmers and the guys grab a couple sets put them in there pocket and away they go. The head will take all different size string so we've got some really large stuff for the nasty stuff (which eats up the normal string) and a big roll of the normal every day string.

With our rapid load heads we don't have a string length problem but if you get into peabbles or dirt you need to becareful. But even with the guard on you'd need to becareful. My advise is to give it a try, it only took a couple minute to remove them. You can always put them back on.

Mike

Acute Cut
07-14-2004, 02:51 AM
just gonna bump it up as i am writing the article tomorrow and wanna let everyone get a chance at getting in on this. I guess it is technically called a "bump"

Mico Landscaping design
07-14-2004, 08:43 PM
The minute we i buy a weed wip its off the second i get out side the store... They are use less unless your a newbie and take stuff down to the dirt... so i voted the first one :) with it off u can let the string out further and its so much better

Paul Corsetti
07-14-2004, 11:21 PM
wait till you get hurt or an employee gets hurt, or you hit a new lincoln with a rock that could have hit the deflector, your leaving your self open for a law suit, my motto is a job is not as important as your safety or someones property,it cant save but a few min. having a few inches of longer line

kels
07-16-2004, 12:23 AM
I don't think the deflector is a safety feature, I believe it is only a means to keep the line at a certain length to ensure the motor is running at the proper rpm.

If it comes to a law suit, once the courts see your "deflector" I don't think it will be much of a defense. I have busted several glass doors and my own back windshield with the "deflector" and since I have taken it off I have busted no glass, go figure.

Lawn-Scapes
07-16-2004, 12:54 AM
No I don't keep mine on... however I don't think the guard is useless.