PDA

View Full Version : Help with Crabgrass and Nutgrass

FFEMT
06-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi all..

Does anyone make a pesticide that could knock out Crabgrass and Nutgrass without totally browning my lawn?

Or maybe I could mix 2....??

I have used Msma about a month ago and I would say my lawn is 90% better..
But the Crabgrass and Nutgrass are coming back..

Thanks..

MrBarefoot
06-26-2004, 09:42 PM
MSMA is the only thing that I am aware of that will will control Crabgrass and some sedge's. I used it last year but after I burned a lawn with it, I swore it off and will never use it again.

Manage works well against sedge's, but it won't bother crabgrass.

Drive 75, and Acclaim both work well against crabgrass, but I don't think either is effective on sedges.

As far as mixing the two??? I don't know, how that will work. I suppose if the label is silent about it, you could mix a small amount in a jar and see if the are compatible together. If they seem to be, then try it on a small section of lawn to see if still works on your weeds and not kills your grass.

One more thing, both Manage and drive are pretty expensive products, you may want to do a cost justification before you spend your money.

James Cormier
06-26-2004, 10:24 PM
I just sprayed a lawn with manage and acclaim mixed in my pg, no problems, both products work great together.

That was my first time with manage and Ive been using acclaim for years now and love the results

FFEMT
06-26-2004, 11:03 PM
Had a friend rec a product called Image to me..

Was at home depot last week and picked some up.
Sez it will kill nutsedge but nothing about crabgrass..

Should I return the Image and try the Manage , Acclain mix...?

MrBarefoot
06-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by FFEMT
Had a friend rec a product called Image to me...

...Should I return the Image and try the Manage , Acclain mix...?

That depends, what is the active ingredient in Image? It might be MSMA.

greenerpastures
06-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Mange(halosulfuron) and Image(imazaquin) are different products. Both offer sedge control. Neither are an MSMA product. Neither offer crabgrass control. Manage is labeled for both purple and yellow nutsedge----and last I checked, Image is labeled for yellow only. Both will give some broadleaf control, but expense is a factor.

Hamons
06-27-2004, 10:11 AM
I mix Drive and Manage as a special spot spray mix for nutsedge and Crabgrass.

Ric
06-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Pennant is a Pre-emerge that is labeled for both Crabgrass and Sedge. I have found it to really help control these weeds. I mix it with my spot spray of Crabgrass. However check the label because warm season turf uses different Post-emerges.

Enviro Green
06-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Hamons!

That might be one of the most expensive sprays I have heard of yet!

Hope you are doing well....

EG

Hamons
06-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Thats why I mix it 16oz at a time

Enviro Green
06-28-2004, 10:31 PM
That's the way I mix a lot of my drinks....

LOL

vango123
06-30-2004, 04:03 PM
msma 1oz/ gallon, manage .9 gram/gallon,, pendulum ec 1oz/gallon will burn bermuda but recovers quick, try getting permit at the co-op same as manage but cheaper, this is for just spot/spray in bermuda lawns, take it easy with the hybrid

TSM
06-30-2004, 04:58 PM
been using MSMA for many years. only time a burn problem has come up is when its used in a hand can of some type. we tank mix, the higher volume of water makes it much more friendly towards turf.

we've gotten good control over sedges with just one treatment...crabgrass might need 2 treatments within 10-14 days of each other, especially latter in summer when those plants are huge.

if we are spot treating then we use manage for sedges and drive for crabgrass

so typically we break out the MSMA if we pick up a new customer this time of year whos lawn has been neglected and of course they must be willing to pay extra $$$ for this midseason application.

NAT
07-01-2004, 08:50 PM
seems like trimec plus takes two apps on crab and nut.tryed the 2.5 rate seems ok ,tryed the recomened rate 3.0 and smoked some spots last year.

Norm Al
07-02-2004, 12:05 AM
try this it works www.crabgrassalert.com but NOTHING will get rid of those weeds forever,,,,,they will be coming back!

scweedman
07-02-2004, 09:04 AM
I use manage and quicksilver together for nutsedge. The best
thing i have ever used. I also use image, it works but its slow.

lawnguy26
07-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Ric,

I mix it with my spot spray of Crabgrass

What are you spot spraying Crabgrass with?

Ric
07-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by lawnguy26
Ric,

What are you spot spraying Crabgrass with?

Lawnguy

Norm Al has posted a link to a product that might work for you. If you have any question PM Norm Al, he knows this product very well.

lawnguy26
07-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Ric,

Yes, I know this product..but my question was..what are YOU using to spot spray Crabgrass?

lawnguy26
07-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Ric
I mix it with my spot spray of Crabgrass.

Crabgrass is taking over my lawns. Please help. What are using to spot spray Crabgrass?

lawnguy26
07-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Norm Al
try this it works www.crabgrassalert.com but NOTHING will get rid of those weeds forever,,,,,they will be coming back!

Isn't this just baking soda? Is it labeled for Floratan?

Ric
07-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by lawnguy26
Isn't this just baking soda? Is it labeled for Floratan?

Lawguy26

That product is the only one currently labeled for St Augustine and Crabgrass as a post emerge to my knowledge. You can however wait until late fall. Temperatures below 50 degrees will kill off your Crabgrass.

BTW where in Florida are you??

donal
08-07-2004, 09:29 AM
msma /basagran mix will control both crabgrass and sedge. However it will do a good job on yellow sedge and only knock purple sedge. It will need more than one application to fully control both the yellow sedge and the crab grass.

Ric
08-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by donal
msma /basagran mix will control both crabgrass and sedge. However it will do a good job on yellow sedge and only knock purple sedge. It will need more than one application to fully control both the yellow sedge and the crab grass.

Donal

MSMA will wipe out St Augustine grass. In fact our golf courses use it on Bermuda to control St Augustine. We have nothing still labeled for St Augustine to control Crabgrass except the product I listed above. I am not sure on Cool Season C-3 turf because I am in the subtropics and work with Warm Season C-4 turf. In fact I believe you and I are in the same Zone just opposite sides of the Equator.