PDA

View Full Version : How not to mow near lakeside with a Z

captken
06-26-2004, 10:28 PM
this picture is worth a thousand words.....

many of those, I cannot repeat here.

stupid, stupid, stupid.....:nono:

qualitylandscaping
06-26-2004, 10:30 PM
ooooppss;)

sorry to hear about it

RedWingsDet
06-26-2004, 10:31 PM
damnnn, that tottally SUCKS!!! jeeze oh peats, i bet your pist. did you do that, or did on of your employees?

also, how did you get it out? tow it with your truck?

was anything ruined?

Liberty Lawncare
06-26-2004, 10:43 PM
There is a way to modify the Hustler to mow along a lake side with out getting stuck.

Outrigger, pontoons & an outboard motor.

ElephantNest
06-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Wow, looks like it could have been much worse. Lesson learned, move on. We've all had those moments. lol

Blades of Steel
06-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Ken were where you when you did this? I had a little runin with some mud and a fence today myself..

Tim

captken
06-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Alright, I had to blame it on something....:angel: lol

Other than my stupitidy...

Rainy week,

Bank was littered with these "delectable fresh water crustations"

mounds....

Many Lessions learned today...

captken
06-26-2004, 11:12 PM
These critters made the ground around the lake like pudding.

We had a lot of rain this week!

Was mowing lawns at Bridgetown today Tim.

FLANDERS
06-26-2004, 11:15 PM
Do you happen to know what that thing sticking up behind the rear wheel is?

grasswhacker
06-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Well join the crowd today. I was deck deep in mud this morning doing the church field. Finally rocked my way out. after 20 minutes. What a mess.

Tonyr
06-26-2004, 11:21 PM
LOL! Mate I've done that several times when I had the Walker, those things would slide!

I submerged half the engine and all a few times, a clean out, runs like new still, bought a Toro Z355 after that, no more slides!

My new Z588E, I think would slide like your Hustler, no traction at all on slopes, especially going down.

Wastes a lot of time recovering the mowers though hey.

and not all clients like you driving a 4 x 4 over their property, gota do what you gota do.

Then your boots are wet and full of mud, everything looks like crap....stuffs a good day hey?

Have to ask...what is that black plate looking thing behind the seat?

captken
06-26-2004, 11:40 PM
It was due to ignorance...mowin' wet

Tryin' to save some time weedeating....

That black thing is where the bagger hangs.

Hustler has snorkle!

Much like an Aussie ute?

I miss my FJ-40.

energy
06-26-2004, 11:49 PM
What's more funny is that you actually took a picture standing inside the water. I hope you took that picture from a cell phone, otherwise you're a geek.

captken
06-27-2004, 12:24 AM
stuffs a good day hey?

No,

I didn't let this get me down.

I can laugh at myself and the situation!

However, I took the time to put on my rubber boots,

So I could check to see that the fuel valve was turned off on the left tank....

txlawnking
06-27-2004, 12:35 AM
That's really lame Ken, sorry to see it happen, at least you didn't have to swim to recover it!!! I bet the clean up was no fun too.... I hope next week is better for you, I feel your pain.

fga
06-27-2004, 12:40 AM
on a lighter note...... capt., these are the first pictures I've seen you post where there's no huge field with 4' grass and brush! sorry about your day though.

JBird
06-27-2004, 12:54 AM
Wow, that looks soooooo familiar. Like I was just there...last week. Just wish I would've taken pictures. I was mowing a run off pond at the YMCA with really step banks, got into a large patch of clover and the next thing you know. Slip, Slippin' away, had to call for another cable, I was about 200 feet down the hillside. Once I got it out I had to laugh...to myself of course!

fixer67
06-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by FLANDERS
Do you happen to know what that thing sticking up behind the rear wheel is?

I thank this is what FLANDERS is asking about

FLANDERS
06-27-2004, 01:01 AM
Thanks Fixer, but half your pic shows up black for me.

I hadn't noticed the one in front, which looks like a post of some sort. However, the one in the back looks like it's taken a hit..

captken
06-27-2004, 01:08 AM
posts that made up the piles for the bulkhead [seawall] that rotted away long ago.

We had to take an axe and chop the one in front down,

to clear the castor on the pull out.

FLANDERS
06-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Well, assuming that you didn't hit them, I think ElephantNest was right saying it could have been alot worse...

fixer67
06-27-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by FLANDERS
Thanks Fixer, but half your pic shows up black for me.

I hadn't noticed the one in front, which looks like a post of some sort. However, the one in the back looks like it's taken a hit..

That was my fault. I keep forgeting to check file size before uploading photos. I was within my time limit for edit so I was able to fit it.

captken
06-27-2004, 01:34 AM
Guys,

There were many lessons I learned today.

Patience.

Pay attention and keep alert.

Just because I've mowed it before, things change...

Walk the property again....

This customer has been with me 3 years.

He wasn't mad...

Said he expected this sooner or later....

When I knocked on his door, he laughed and said "I wondered

when it would happen to you"

He is older now and remembers when he used to mow his own

yard and how many times he actually went into the lake!

It was no problem to him.....

So things actually worked out pretty good!

TheKingNJ
06-27-2004, 01:43 AM
wow you make it seem like your Hustler can do anything. I guess you just proved that it does not float though

rambler
06-27-2004, 01:52 AM
hey grasswhacker what church i live in nicholasville:)

Burger
06-27-2004, 02:52 AM
but were the fish biting? did you catch anything?

chuckers
06-27-2004, 02:57 AM
its the hustler hummer

Acute Cut
06-27-2004, 03:27 AM
CaptKen:
You ARE aware there are better ways to wash your mower right?:D

Envy Lawn Service
06-27-2004, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by TheKingNJ
wow you make it seem like your Hustler can do anything. I guess you just proved that it does not float though
I was reading along and waiting for that one to pop up. Taking it no farther than that, you did learn something good today...

"Just because I've mowed it before, things change..."

That is exactly right, even if the area is nowhere near pushing the envelope. But add to that... all zero turn mowers are unpredictable at times due to the very nature of the zero turn design, which all ZTR's share.

That's what I have found.... and the very best hilling Z's wipe out the worst when they do break loose.... most of the time because they are already somewhere you couldn't get another one in the first place.

After my first year on a Z, I started avoiding certain accounts where I could. I turned down 5, dropped 4 and skipped even placing bids on several others I would not have when I ran lawn tractors. But I can't avoid them all. I still put myself at risk. But I don't go out chasing it and I try not to take anything that has a problem area with no recovery zone.

I would have taken that account. But I would always be leary of it when wet, real dry or at times when growth is sappy and I would always stay far enough away from the water that the machine would have to run away to some degree before making a splash. Plus I mulch, which adds a couple of degrees of extra difficulty at all times.

Itsgottobegreen
06-27-2004, 04:32 AM
Don't worry to much. I did that with my Kubota brushhogging. Got the tractor stuck in mud up to rear axel. The pond was over flowing. So the ground was soft(didn't know that at the time). Well I sunk right in. I couldn't get out, even in 4X4. Than god I had a friend come by with a comalong and some chains. It took an hour to get it out.

captken
06-27-2004, 04:41 AM
And I agree with you. I expected to get blasted. I should know better.

Maybe someone who reads this will learn from my mistake.

Fact is I was in too much of a hurry.

That hill breaks [near] flat at the bottom, 15 feet or so from the edge.

I got too close to the edge, and

The left tire got stuck.

All terrain tires would have probably prevented this from happening in the first place.

[Tracks shown, where I first got stuck, trailing behind the mower, in the first picture.]

I should have gotten off the mower and gone for help.

Instead,

I tried to power it out,

didn't work...made matters worse.

right wheel moving forward,

left wheel spinning, stuck,

pitched the mower left.

get chain and come along....like Itsgottabegreen said.

Live and Learn.

Envy Lawn Service
06-27-2004, 06:26 AM
Yep, live and learn. We make some of our worst mistakes while we are in a hurry and not taking time to think about things.

Speaking of tires.... I asked you about those Turf Savers a long time ago. I'm just glad for you that there wasn't a sharp drop off into deep water. That would have been really bad.

BOLO
07-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Hey Capt, Now i know not to do next door in Bridgetown. As you know i just bought that new Walker and i really dont want that to happen to me.