PDA

View Full Version : hitches

seymour_glass
06-26-2004, 11:09 PM
hey all.
are trailer hitches rather difficult or easy to install on a vehicle, or does this depend on the vehicle? I'm talking mostly about the wiring, etc. I'm wondering whether I should have this profesionally done or do it myself and save the 40 bucks or so.
Thanks.

bldinkel
06-26-2004, 11:52 PM
It's easy to wire your truck up for a trailer. I know that for some trucks they make a wiring harnesses that just plugs into the connectors for your tail lights. Check with your local parts store and see what they have for you. Sometimes its as easy as just plugging in a couple of things. Might be worth it to ask.

GLS
06-27-2004, 01:14 AM
It depends on the vehicle application, trailer application, and if you are mechanically inclined.

The hitch itself is straightforward. Bolt it up. Only hard part is drilling holes if necessary, but even then fairly simple.

Wiring may or may not be easy. If the trailer has brakes (which requires an electric brake controller), it can get a little tricky but doable if you know what your doing (running wires in/out of cab etc.). The vehicle may be prewire though without a plug.

If the trailer is a standard 4-pin with no brakes, then you should be able to pick up a connector that taps into the vehicle very easily.

If you do not understand what i'm talking about, then have it done by a pro. It just depends on how much you know about this type of stuff:)

seymour_glass
06-27-2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys.

I think I'll pop into a trailer shop or something today to see exactly what I'm getting into. The trailer is a single axle open 5X8 with no brakes, so maybe it shouldn't be hard.

Thing is, this isn't for a truck but for my 98 Cutless, which might complicate things a bit.

The problem is: if i order online from etrailer, it's cost me something like $127 total for the hitch (which is a no drill hidden hitch) and shipping, whereas I went to a shop yesterday and was quoted 150 for the hitch and 40 bucks or so for install and wiring, etc. so I can save quite a bit if I install it myself.

So anyways, thanks again so much for the advice, I'm gonna look into things in more detail today.

The C Man
06-27-2004, 03:05 PM
I installed mine myself. Most of it lined up with the frame but I did have to drill 2 holes (I knew that beforehand). Took an hour maybe. I've spliced trailer wires before, but I just didn't feel like messing with it this time so I got the T-connector type wiring harness, took like 5 minutes.

I got mine from eTrailer.com I think, or maybe one of these places:

http://www.1-stop-guide.com/trailerhitch/hitches.html

http://www.hidden-hitches.com/index.htm