PDA

View Full Version : My humble beginnings

pwarren4
06-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Hello all!

I wanted to post some pics of my rig, so here it goes.

I'm doing this part time for the first time this season, and I've been out having a lotta fun.

I know, I know, my outfit is unorthodox - but it works!

pwarren4
06-29-2004, 11:25 AM
I didn't intend to do this when I bought the car - it was bought for my 45 mile commute to my full time job - and it does that really well getting 30 mpg and all.

It does allot better than I thought it would with the trailer. It really isn't a problem!

pwarren4
06-29-2004, 11:26 AM
The trailer - The Metro is an amazing machine!

pwarren4
06-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Oops - left the pic off that last one

pwarren4
06-29-2004, 11:28 AM
One last one - and as always comments and suggestions are welcome!

twins_lawn_care
06-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Nice setup, small, to the point, and clean.

Do you have a need for any kind of trim mower, or are you able to handle all your jobs with just the Exmark?

Also, have you gotten into hauling stuff away (grass clippings, bushes, etc.) yet? Just wondered how you are going to handle that, only drawback I see to the vehicle.

Nice though, any plans on lettering or advertising for it?

bettergrass
06-29-2004, 01:33 PM
what size trailer is that?

pwarren4
06-29-2004, 01:43 PM
I've been able to get away with the Exmark as far as trimming goes, there are a couple spots in the yards I cut that I wish I had a 21" - I just handle it with the trimmer though - haven't justified hauling a push mower around - yet.

As far as hauling stuff away - not really an issue - I don't list it as a service on my flyers - and I haven't been asked to - yet.

Advertising on the trailer? Undecided - been relying on flyers and word of mouth so far.

The trailer is just a 5' x 8'

EagleLandscape
06-29-2004, 01:53 PM
How do you feel about the expanded metal on the floor of the trailer instead of wood? How does that work out for you?

pwarren4
06-29-2004, 02:00 PM
The expanded metal floor works great for what I'm doing - no complaints.

But I'd want a wood floor if I was hauling any real weight, so it wouldn't sag between the braces.

Also, a wood floor would be mandatory if I was hauling in mulch, dirt, or the like.

But for hauling the mower - really, it works great.

Besides, water drainage is not an issue!

blankenshiplawncare
06-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Look like a great set up. You will expand probably faster than you would assume. Good luck.

Show-Me Lawn Care
06-29-2004, 06:30 PM
nice setup. Did you make the trimmer rack, or buy it?

z_clark
06-29-2004, 08:30 PM
GREAT SET UP!

That is efficiency at it's best! I am sure your set up will pay for its self many times over.

The right tools for the job = success!

Lots of luck to you!

blair smock
06-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Very Nice setup, I like the fact that you did not skip on the equipment that really matters. If you get a slightly larger trailer and a Zero turn down the road, you should be able to Rock. Take care, Blair

EastProLawn
06-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by twins_lawn_care
Nice setup, small, to the point, and clean.
My sentiments exactly. Good luck and hope to see you with a truck soon.

glllc
06-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Pwarren4, please tell me how many people laugh at you when your in your minivan with your trailer hooked up. Dude are you serious?

EagleLandscape
06-30-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by glllc
Pwarren4, please tell me how many people laugh at you when your in your minivan with your trailer hooked up. Dude are you serious?

Don't be a prick, everyone starts somewhere.

TEG
06-30-2004, 01:03 AM

Obviously he is serious, and jwing hit it on the nose.. dont be a prick. Didnt you read what warren said in his first post? He's having a lot of fun. With a positive attitude and committment to the business, the rate of growth and expansion is unbelievable.

pwarren4
06-30-2004, 09:54 PM

:angry: How dare you call my Vibe a freakin MINIVAN !!! :angry:

EastProLawn
06-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by pwarren4
:angry: How dare you call my Vibe a freakin MINIVAN !!! :angry: Now that is some funny sh!t, LOL Big Time, P Warren, do not listen to anyone who insists on putting you down, I have seen many LCO's start with some real crappy set-up, you are miles ahead of some of the so-called pros.

seymour_glass
06-30-2004, 10:10 PM
hahahaha!!

Vibes quick serious ass. Although if you really did have a minivan it would be absolutely hilarious!

I have the exact same setup as you, well almost - i have a 98 cutless :). But I just got a 5x8 too mostly because its cheaper than a truck but also because the general consensus is that it sucks to put your mower in the back of a truck.

The only problem I have is that because my hitch is so low, its impossible to get any angle on the trailer other than a forward one. Have you had this problem with your vibe as well? Also, I'm curious has to both the length of your gate and the height of your trailer.

And, one more question, if you don't mind me asking, what trimmer racks are you using? Or did you make them?

Keep on rocking!

pwarren4
06-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by seymour_glass
hahahaha!!

Vibes quick serious ass. Although if you really did have a minivan it would be absolutely hilarious!

I have the exact same setup as you, well almost - i have a 98 cutless :). But I just got a 5x8 too mostly because its cheaper than a truck but also because the general consensus is that it sucks to put your mower in the back of a truck.

The only problem I have is that because my hitch is so low, its impossible to get any angle on the trailer other than a forward one. Have you had this problem with your vibe as well? Also, I'm curious has to both the length of your gate and the height of your trailer.

And, one more question, if you don't mind me asking, what trimmer racks are you using? Or did you make them?

Keep on rocking!

Never had any problem with the trailer angle - it sits pretty darn level. I do have a 1 1/4 receiver hitch and I did put the receiver "upside down" (from what most people have theirs) like this: 7= instead of =L (Get it?)

The trailer height is 15 inches to the floor at the axle (level). the gate length is 52 inches. I didn't design it, I just bought it. As far as dimensions goes - it's perfect for the application - I probably wouldn't have done as good if I designed it myself!

The trimmer racks came from Lowe's. :(
That was a really bad idea. The trimmer trap (name?) works much better and seems to be worth the extra cost. A set of those are definatly on the wish list.

Thanks guys for the positive comments and encouragement :D

twwlawn
07-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Nice setup and I wish you the best.

GrassBlaster
07-01-2004, 11:06 AM
I bought the same trimmer rack as you....

I too wish I had something different..my trimmer bounces around too much.

My setup is close to yours, except I have a 48" Z mower instead of a walkbehind and my trailer is a little bigger. I pull mine with a blazer.

spcfoor
07-01-2004, 12:20 PM
I have the same trailer. Got it from lowes.
I carry my 36" gravely wb and a 21" ariens wb. I bought a sheet of plywood to put on the bottom because the expanded metal floor broke where the wheels on the 36" sit. other than that it is great. I also have just startedhave 9 res. and 1 commerical yards. Hopefully I can get some more and quit this job I have now and do the lawn care full time.

jbell113
07-15-2004, 06:53 PM
I also have the same trailer. I put ply wood on the floor cause the 52" exmark caused it to sag in between braces. I can get a exmark and a snapper 28" rider on a 5x8

pwarren4
07-15-2004, 07:43 PM
jbell,
I'd love to see a picture of that

Big Lew
08-04-2004, 12:22 AM
PW....I really like your setup!.....as far as the Lowes 5x8 trailer goes...did you purchase it at Lowes? May I ask how much?
Thanks....God Bless

chuckers
08-04-2004, 12:36 AM
not bad.... comon' guys this should be encouragement all warren was looking for was a little motivation all it takes is one prick to ruin it i thought this site was to help people out and learn from others and others to learn from you..... that is crazy that someone would pick on warren.... glllc i would would love to see your awesome set up were you can dis other people....

lawnjockey51
08-04-2004, 12:41 AM

Just curious, why would a mini-van, that can have the seats removed and store all kinds of stuff in, be more "hilarious" than a 98 Cutlass with a trimmer hang'n out of the trunk and the lid tied down. It really iritates me when people must make fun of someone else in a feeble attempt to justify themselves, or make themselves appear to be better than others.

I am going into this bus part time and although I make enough money from my other job to buy a F250 4x4, I may just decide to tow my trailer with my mini-van. By the way, have you priced a nice mini-van lately, hardly a scrub vehicle.

TClawn
08-04-2004, 02:41 PM
have you ever thought about hanging the weed wacker inside the trailer? that way you won't bang it up if you going down a driveway and there are some bushes and trees along it.

pwarren4
08-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Big Lew
PW....I really like your setup!.....as far as the Lowes 5x8 trailer goes...did you purchase it at Lowes? May I ask how much?
Thanks....God Bless

No the trailer did not come from Lowe's. There is a group of guys in Nashville building and selling them.

Cost was $540+tax hooked up, ready to go.

Originally posted by lawnjockey51
Just curious, why would a mini-van, that can have the seats removed and store all kinds of stuff in, be more "hilarious" than a 98 Cutlass with a trimmer hang'n out of the trunk and the lid tied down.

I could understand that Mini-Van setup working quite well. :)

Just for the record, a little history I think would help better explain how I got to this situation. (FWIW of course).

I purchased my Vibe in June of 2003 for the sole task of handling the 45-mile one-way commute to my full time job. The Vibe proved to be superior to the Blazer I had previously for this task. The Vibe also does very well when it is time for me, the wife and my two kids want to go somewhere together. The Blazer I had was a 98 model with 135K on the odometer and was shot. I managed to get it to the dealer/shop where the repair bills to make it drivable and safe exceeded the worth of the vehicle (by almost twice!). I inquired about trading and through the rebates and discounts available at the time a trade was negotiated, and I was very pleased with the outcome.

Fast forward to spring 2004-
1. My fulltime job company had "downsized" and reduced the pay rate by 6% for everyone and cut out all overtime. This hit the billfold pretty hard and generated lots of extra time not known of for 10 years+.
2. My WallieWorld push lawnmower had proven to be a bigger POS than ever expected, I was tired of rigging it and dealing with itís weight (it was supposed to be self-propelled which was way to slow, and pushing that beast was a chore).
3. My father-in-law was diagnosed with colon cancer during the winter and was not able to mow his own lawn for a while. He has since gone into remission and has bought himself a new Husqvarna LT.
4. My sister needed help keeping up her lawn.

With these 4 reasons I found myself searching for a good commercial grade mower so hopefully it would be my ďlastĒ mower. I know this is wishful thinking since Iím only 34 and it is unreasonable to expect any mower to last 30 years+. The whole time I was shopping I had the idea of pursuing other peopleís lawns for extra money in the back of my head due to reason #1 noted above, which also fueled the quest for a commercial grade mower.

It didnít take long to find myself at the eXmark dealer and the pictures tell the rest of the story. I have 5 regular accounts now and a few more calling me ďas-neededĒ or about once a month, my sisterís and mine which gives me 7 total yards Iím maintaining.

I know this is small by the standards portrayed at this site, but hey, I still consider myself just starting out and Iím actively pursuing more work for me and my eXmark.

Like I said. Iím posting this FWIW which is absolutely nothing to most, just thought Iíd share a little history.

pwarren4
08-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by TClawn
have you ever thought about hanging the weed wacker inside the trailer? that way you won't bang it up if you going down a driveway and there are some bushes and trees along it.

Some sort of upgrade is definitely needed, havenít decided on which route to take yet though. I would like to make some sort of mount for on top of the front rail *shrugs*

pwarren4
nevermind - tried posting during forum malfunction

pwarren4
nevermind again

Frosty_03
08-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Hey PW
Your rig is a lot nicer. than what I started with, Keep on Keeping and the accounts will come and your need to upgrade will be there.
I started with a 21" push mower and a street broom, and it work for me. Didn't have a trailer, had to haul it all in the back of my truck, I really thought I hit the big times when I bought me a Craftsman and a weed eater blower. Man I was in Lawn Heaven. I guess what I am saying you have to start somewhere and it looks like you got a good start. Good Luck and God Speed.

meathead1134
08-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Well you should see my setup 2002 hyundai elantra pulling a 1971 litle dude trailer 6x8 foot that I restored.I have a 48" JD GS45 along with all my gas can trimmer, blower, rototiller arins push and cubcadet push. I get some strange looks but, at least I didn't bury myself in debt so I'll be in business next year and hoping to go full time.

pwarren4
08-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Rock on Meathead

:cool:

seven-up
08-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Best of luck to you both.

McCauley3
08-06-2004, 07:38 PM
PW, here's my 5X8 with at 32" metro, 2 21" toros. Same trimmer rack as you've got, from Lowes. I also got a Jungle Jim's Blower Mate, it works great. It's a small trailer, but anything bigger wouldn't be necessary...Good Luck to you.

McCauley3
08-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Here's a better view of the setup on the trailer. I took out the mesh flooring after it began to sag inbetween the braces, and replaced it with 2X8's. .

pwarren4
08-09-2004, 09:54 AM
McCauley3 -
Very nice!

Good luck and have fun -

and remember -

If you get a job you love, you never have to work a day in your life!
:D

KathysLGC
08-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Very nice set up for just starting out.
I started with a 5x10 trailer from lowes. Cost me about $800 w/wooden floor. I pulled it with a Yellow Ford Escape. I got laughed at alot but I was in and out faster then most in my area. I started taking others accounts, not by low balling but by quality/speed of work. With my 5x10 trailer and a huge tarp I could fit 1.5 yards of mulch in it and with the trailer being low, unloading wheel barrow full loads was a piece of cake. No bending down to scoop mulch from the ground ect. I just drove on their property and stop by each bed. Filled them and kept going. Later mowed the lawn and all SUV/Trailer tracks where gone.