PDA

View Full Version : mosquito update

James Cormier
06-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Alright, I resprayed properties today that I did exactly 3 weeks ago.

All customers were amazed with the results ( for 2 weeks ) the last few days they all noticed a increase in bugs.

All these lawns where sprayed at 3oz per K, I was going to drop my rates but I decided to keep it at 3oz. I talked with Norm at M.B. and he said that heavy rate is fine.

So now its time to budget this material for pricing, Im using that 3oz rate for my material cost.

I also used my new shurflow electric backpack sprayer, wow was that nice not having to pump. For $189.00 I highly recommend it. I dont like where the on/off switch is and I dont like the 4 speeds, but over all it worked great.

My Pg clogged a few times today, most likely due to the heavy rate of M.B. and I did mix in some talstar today for some tick sprays.

I sprayed 5 lawns and 1 mini golf course used 2.5 gallons of juice and billed out over $1200. and was done by 1pm

I think Im gonna like this stuff.:p

TSM
06-29-2004, 04:54 PM
hey Jim, you asked about using a JD9 gun a few days ago and I said probably wouldnt work very good at low pressure, remember??

Well, we sold a condo complex and I decided to tank mix the garlic and use that JD9....turns out it did fine.

We had some problems with the garlic cloging up and I didnt want this to happen on a large site and take all day to get the product sprayed. So with the JD9...no clogging

Green Dreams
06-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Good to hear, y'all. The filter on your rig should minimize the clogging. That's what I plan to do. I am thinking of mixing it in with my shrub i & d mix and using it as a selling tool and to jack up my price. I'll also offer a total cover spray like y'all are.

TSM
06-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Green Dreams
Good to hear, y'all. The filter on your rig should minimize the clogging. That's what I plan to do. I am thinking of mixing it in with my shrub i & d mix and using it as a selling tool and to jack up my price. I'll also offer a total cover spray like y'all are.

Never had any problems with clogging before. I'm hopeful that it was just that one gallon...it was a bit 'chunky' I dont know maybe it was stored in heat or something, i'm not sure.

But yes, the tank mix with JD9 gun will solve any of those problems, Y'ALL
---heh heh heh, just having some yankee fun with ya is all :)

Green Dreams
06-29-2004, 06:31 PM
lol ok about eaaahh eaahh lets go beat up some rich kids... eeeaaahhh! I snicker everytime I hear Comrade Kennedy on the news...

I dig you chowds and can't wait for the next time Y'ALL send the Yankees home....

TSM
06-29-2004, 07:07 PM
LOL....of course being from the Boston area...we have a language/accent all our own

DiscoveryLawn
06-29-2004, 07:57 PM
James,
Have you been getting a lot of rain over the past few weeks? Or should I just expect about two to three weeks of control per application?
David

James Cormier
06-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Its been dry for the last few weeks, I was hoping for 3 week window between sprays. Maybe it will get longer as I keep spraying.

James Cormier
07-08-2004, 04:38 PM
i know this subject is going on several different posts, but I have some updates for some of you.

I did my 3rd sprays on 6/29 ( just before 4th weekend ) most of the res customers are reporting fair results, little lower than when they got there 2nd on 6/8.

During the day no mosquitos but come 9-9:30 pm there bad. One mini golf course is going to a weekly spray for the months of july and august. We may try a late night spray, They close at 10pm I I going to spray once at 10:30, to see if it works better when there everywhere

My own lawn was sprayed on 7/6 ( tue ) last night the kids where swiming till 10pm and they noticed them gettting bad around 9pm

I have a big party on sunday So Im going to respray the pool area and deck come saturday night,

I posted a pic of my back yard, You can see its big with 45 ac or MDC land around it, Before spraying the MB during the day if you where out on the hammock the mosquitos would be bad.

So the spray is working, but its gotta work better later in the night. Im thinking mixing some talstar in with the mix.

TSM
07-08-2004, 05:23 PM
funny how we will all see or experience different results. My test is going in my back yard (not as large as James, but nothing but woods and wet land behind me) anyway, out in the back yard at dusk, wearing swim trunks and nothing else. I'll take a dip in the pool then sit on the deck, some times I just 'space out' sometimes i read and sometimes i get routes set up for the week. Point is, before using MB i didnt want to be out there, it was miserable!

I also have little turf in the back, its mostly plant material. I have found that the more plant material to spray the better the results. When its mostly lawn that you are spraying....I dont know but my sense tells me that that MB gets mowed away. When they recommend a fine spray...thats great on plant foliage, but I wondering if a larger droplet wouldnt be better on turf...something large enough that will run down the grass blade and get down to the crown. I dont know, just seems that a fine spray will not drip down the grass blade but rather dry on the blade and then gets mowed off. of course leaving the clippings would not only benefit the turf but also the MB effectiveness, but many use a grass catcher.
just some of my rambling thoughts.

TSM
07-08-2004, 06:18 PM
couple more ramblings....

MB website states 4 applications per season

When i spoke to a rep (who also owns a lawncare company and is an end user of MB) he told me 5 times per season at 4 week intervals

the label on the gal. container says it will last UP TO 2 WEEKS

seems to be some inconsistancy here, huh?

James Cormier
07-08-2004, 06:47 PM
"seems to be some inconsistancy here, huh?"

yeh, Im confused, by somethings it says, then the reps says

" just keep increasing your rates until it works"

One of my mini golf courses is all plant material, really nice landscape property with tons of plants and bushes, only 4k in broken up lawn. they also have a large ( 10k ) wild flower area.

I do this mostly with back pac, now the only difference was going from the solo pump to the shurflow electric. The usage was about the same so Im not sure whay results where less this time around.

TSM, how do you take a label that gives a rate in oz per K, and then translate that to tree & shrub spraying where you cant really measure the sqft of spray area because of bushes and such.

is it just a time issuse? Find out how much K I can spray a minute with the back pac and then how much material used in that time? I think I just answered my own question

Anyway Im thinking I might me mixing too light in my back pack

LwnmwrMan22
07-08-2004, 11:19 PM
James -

Your sq ft question you answered for yourself. You'll have to figure out how much matieral, more than how many sq ft when it comes to the bushes / homes / decks, etc.

I suppose it'll be like starting my lawn care business all over again.

Most of the time you'll be good to go with an estimate, but there will be a few you'll be 1/2 way through and saying to yourself "this guy's getting a freebie" or whatever.

TSM
07-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by LwnmwrMan22

Most of the time you'll be good to go with an estimate, but there will be a few you'll be 1/2 way through and saying to yourself "this guy's getting a freebie" or whatever.

we had this problem last season ( our first season using MB) we solicited our existing customers for this service. then we gave them a price based on their lawn's sq ft. thats a mistake because we were also spraying ornamentals, decks, fences, etc.
now we know better.