PDA

View Full Version : Shrub removal ??

NCL
06-29-2004, 09:05 PM
How much would you charge or how long do you think it will take to remove 22 medium shrubs with shoval ??:confused: Thanks.

gogetter
06-29-2004, 09:09 PM
First, how big is "medium"?

I know some disagree with this method, but any chance of using your truck or a winch to pull them out?

NCL
06-29-2004, 09:57 PM
About 3' by 3' no chance on using the truck, do not own a winch. thanks.

D Felix
06-29-2004, 09:57 PM
The type of shrub also factors in on how long it will take. Well established yews, well, forget about it with a shovel, unless you've got all week! Well established arborvitaes, well, you could get them out in relatively short amounts of time.

Generally, I don't recommend using the truck method, since it tends to look unprofessional and redneckish. Other than that, go for it.:) I usually recommend a mini-excavator with a hydraulic "thumb" attachment for ripping out shrubs. Even a fixed thumb is better than none. I used a Bobcat 331 with a fixed thumb a couple of weeks ago at home, took 20 minutes to tear out 10 yew stumps (I timed it). Of course, it had just rained about 2 inches that afternoon and I was NOT concerned about turf damage...... And I knew what I was doing, a new operator will take longer. Oh, and these yews had been in for 15+ years.

Sorry for the rambling, but we need more info for a more exact estimate!

Dan

NCL
06-30-2004, 07:02 AM
They are gold thread cypress(mop top) and various juniper.

D Felix
06-30-2004, 08:44 AM
That size, we'd probably use the tractor to pull them out, we'd have it done in about an hour or so if they weren't too far apart.

With a shovel, obviously, it will take a little longer... If it's a bid job, I'd estimate it high, and probably go with around 20-30 minutes for the arbs (mop tops), and 30-40 for the junipers.
That should get you in the nieghborhood.

Dan

gogetter
06-30-2004, 04:59 PM
One more thought.

I'm going to be buying one of those Hi-Jacks. It's a jack for trucks if you're not familiar with them.
You can get an attachment for them so you can use them to pull poles and posts out of the ground (I think it's just a chain with a hook or something like that).

I've read posts from others here that have used them for pulling small shrubs/bushes out of the ground.

They may not work for all shrubs or in all situations, but could certainly come in handy for the right situation.
I know there has been a couple times I could have used one already.
Even if I have to use it in conjunction with shoveling, it would still be easier then digging the whole way.

Generally my shrub removal jobs are pretty small, one or two shrubs up to maybe 6-8. I personally can't justify renting a large tractor or piece of machinery to do these smaller jobs. And I've dug them out with shovels at times, but that can really take a while and give me a heck of a workout!
So I use my truck when I can.

NCL
06-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for help.

BCSteel
06-30-2004, 09:31 PM
You dont need a winch to pull them out with your truck. If you have tow hooks on the front, thats the easiest because you can see exactly how they are coming out. If not, you can hook them on your frame on the front somewhere or off of your trailer hitch.

Groundcover Solutions
07-22-2004, 11:39 PM
yes it looks redneckish but it gets the job done. If you don't have the equpment no sense in renting it just to pull out a few bushes. Look a littel redneck but get paid like a Pro. as long as the job gets done and done well then your golden.

GreenMonster
07-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by D Felix
I usually recommend a mini-excavator with a hydraulic "thumb" attachment for ripping out shrubs. Even a fixed thumb is better than none. I used a Bobcat 331 with a fixed thumb a couple of weeks ago at home, took 20 minutes to tear out 10 yew stumps (I timed it).

Dan

Yes, thumb is great for ripping out. Sux though if you're digging the shrub for x-plant.:(

kickin sum grass
07-27-2004, 01:43 PM
I just did a job like this and rented a stump grinder and took them out that way. worked well, quick, easy, and made lots of money. I was also grinding other stumps which helped offset the rental for this job.

D Felix
07-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Sux though if you're digging the shrub for x-plant
Why? Just get the thumb out of the way, dig around the the plant (gross excavation), and get off your lazy butt and finish digging it by hand!:)

I dug a weeping Norway this spring using this method, then used the excavator to lift it out of the hole. We used the long end of a 2" wide rachet strap as an improvised lift sling, never needed the thumb on that one.....

Dan

GreenMonster
07-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Why? You just answered your own question:

Originally posted by D Felix
get off your lazy butt and finish digging it by hand!:)

also, when you dig from behind, and curl the bucket, thumb kinda gets in the way.

I didn't say that I couldn't do it, just makes it a little more.... challenging:D

D Felix
07-28-2004, 02:40 PM
Adapt and overcome!:D

If you think a hydraulic thumb gets in the way, try a fixed thumb!

As for finishing digging by hand, I was mainly referring to B&B'ing stuff for transplanting.....

Dan

Smithers
02-26-2005, 04:37 PM
NCL, did you do the job? Did you get paid? Give us an update...

I am so amazed that people ask all ofthese questions and dont get back to and update us on what the hell happened..

old dog
03-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Never price a removal job,only by the hour,since you never really know how big the roots
are.I can tell you junipers and arbies come out relatively easy.Depends also on what
for decent soil or crap someone backfilled the area with!You could also use a 3 to 5 ton
"come along" and chain hooked to your truck if you don' want to tear up[ the yard.
Why rut up the yard and have to fix it? Not saving anything there!