PDA

View Full Version : 96 chevy 3500 srw

Mark Lawncare
06-30-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm considering buying a mint 96 GMC 3500 srw with all options and a plow for 6,000. the only problem is that it has around 200,000 miles you can tell they were highway miles. Has anyone ever had any experience with a truck such as this? Thanks.

xcopterdoc
06-30-2004, 07:40 PM
More info... engine size, trans.. does the owner have any maintenence records? How long was he plowong with it? If your serious about it, save yur self some time and grief.. take it to an independant shop and have them go over it. We do it for about a half hour labor. Money well spent.. of course no crystal ball diagnostics! (thats extra!)

Mark Lawncare
06-30-2004, 09:11 PM
The truck has a 350 5.7 liter and auto trans. It plowed residentially and I am not sure about the maintenance records but by looking at it the owner cared about it. I think having it looked at by a shop is a good idea. Thanks for any info.

xcopterdoc
06-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Front end part wear is one biggie with a Chevy of that age, more so with a plow hanging of it. Have them look at the ball joints, tie rods, idler arm and idler arm rod. look at the tires for any wear, ripples, wear on the inside or outside of the tires. Also ujoints and axle shafts.

Loganwildman
07-08-2004, 01:00 PM
If there is play in the steering when you drive it, have the steering arm from the gear box checked out. I'm not sure about the 1 tons, but on 1/2 ton Chevys, if the torsion bars are cranked up, the steering arms wear very fast and create play.

BillyRgn
07-25-2004, 03:45 PM
i had a 95 gmc 3500 great truck had 8ft meyers all that was ever replaced was a steering stablizer ran me 60 bucks and put it on my self i was told by my mechanic that if the front end went tie rods etc it would be 1000 at the most i also had the 350 5.7 but was throtal body and i beleave 96 came along the votrtec fuel inj wich is one of the best motors ever

BillyRgn
07-25-2004, 03:46 PM
those truck can take what ever you throw at em i even bull dozed my front lawn and it was like a rock

Mdirrigation
07-25-2004, 09:02 PM
You can make 6 grand and then some if you get a bit of snow. 200,000 miles is fine as long as the motor still rund strong and doesnt smoke .

Randy J
07-25-2004, 09:50 PM
How about the 6.5 diesel - anyone have any thoughts on that? '97 vintage. Has about 133,000 miles on it. Seems to start and drive out good. Kind of kills me to be thinking about a GM diesel :), but it's cheap - definately cheaper than a Ford or Dodge either one.

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Randy, beware of the 6.5's with the electronic pump.. 94' or newer.. the engine itself, if well maintained, can last a looong time contrary to some people's beliefs.. my 82' with the ole six deuce ( origional engine, first year for this kind of GM diesel) still runs like a top...If you were so inclined, you can put the 93' turbo pump ( mechanical ) on the newer one's and fix the problem for good.

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Oh yeah, slc, make sure the intake gaskets have already been done, ( they probably have ) two things to check real good, are, the cooling system, and if it has blowby. 6 grand is not that good a deal for a 96' especially with 200k.. even if it's been imaculatelly maintained, it's just about worn out.. also, Gm electronic automatics, cost some pretty good coin to have repaired.. I'm not tryin' to be negative, that's just a lot of coin for an old pickup..

Randy J
07-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Interesting. The Dodge/Cummins had problems when it went to electrical pumps also. Changing the pump back to a mechanical one was quite an ordeal though. How hard is it on the GM? I thought I'd heard the ole GM 6.5 was a pretty reliable engine - if cared for, albeit a little weak on power.

txlawnking
07-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Randy, the swap isn't real difficult, but it can be costly.. but if the truck runs fine now, roll it, then when the robo pump takes a dump, swap it for the good one.. And the power problems can be allevieated as well.. It's not difficult to wake one up.