PDA

View Full Version : Need help selecting replacement rotors

stealthy
07-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Sorry for posting in a commercial forum since I am not in the industry, but you guys are they experts....

I just bought a house in Nov. 2003 with an irrigation system that has a combo of Hunter PGP, Rainbird T-Bird and Toro rotors and Toro sprays. I had my sprinklers turned on by a pro about a month ago. It costed me $190 total. He did backflow test $60 and had to replace two bad Hunter PGP rotors at $29/piece. Now a month later, 2 more rotors stopped turning (Toro this time). Rather than pay him another $75 to come out + $60 to replace these two, I wanted to do this myself. (I'm 27 yr old and broke, i.e. cheapskate now)

Should I start replacing bad rotors with one brand? After reading about Toro, I want to use either Hunter or RB. Which one should I use and how do I determine which will match the precip rate of the original design? I believe the design is good since it does use head to head coverage. But then again, it looks like they used whatever they had left over in their trucks and pieced my system together. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have 1/3 acre with 10 zones. I believe it was put in about 4 years ago. The controller is RB ESP-LX.

Much Thanks!

greenwayirrigation
07-01-2004, 09:14 PM
when i come across broken or bad or any toro heads i'll change them to hunter pgp's. thats probably what happened to your system. if people use toros the whole system is usaully toro. the heads probably just been changing over the years to hunter, and you should do the same. they probably replaced your toro clock with the rb esp.

Instant Rain
07-02-2004, 03:18 PM
rotors should not need to be replaced after only 4 years. whatever you go with make sure you get head to head coverage and it is installed at grade. if you plan to do the work yourself. get a book on the subject. buy a case of heads becase i think you may be replacing them often at first.

Green Sweep
07-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Get all of the Toro the hell out of the ground & replace with Rain Bird!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding. It may not be a bad idea to get a bunch of heads - spray & rotor - anything but Toro will do. Your Toro 570z heads will probably start "sticking" up if they havent already. Educate yourself on how to install & adjust & you'll be fine.

stealthy
07-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I will be ordering a few rotors :)

EagleLandscape
07-06-2004, 01:46 AM
Weathermatic makes great heads. Thats all my dad specs on his irrigation plans. Rainbird doesnt make very good nozzles though, theirs are pretty cheap.

JimLewis
07-23-2004, 03:55 AM
Whatever you do, all your rotors should be the same brand and type.

In all my years of experience, I've never found anything I love more than the Hunter PGMs (which has now been replaced by Hunter PGJs). They are bullet-proof and easy to work with once you learn them.

I guess if I were to use something else it would be the Rainbird 5000 series rotors. I've always had good experience with those too.