PDA

View Full Version : weeds in the ivy

lja
06-03-2000, 02:56 PM
hey guys.....just pickup this house where there is tons of ivy...homeowner must love it....can a ganular or liquid weed killer get rid of the weeds or must i do it by hand....there is a ton of weeds in the ton of ivy.....thanks rick

smithf36
06-03-2000, 03:59 PM
I usually hand weed ivy if it's not real bad. If there are tons of weeds, I will rip it all out and replant the ivy. Preen afterwords. I don't know if there is a better solution or not - I'm interested to see the responses.<br>Joe

BRET
06-03-2000, 05:09 PM
HEY JUST THOUGHT I WOULD ADD TO YOUR POSTING ON THE WEEDS IN IVEY. WE USE A PRODUCT CALLED IMAGE, IT IS CLASSED AS A SELECTIVE HERBICIDE AND IS SAFE TO USE IN JUNIPER AND IVEY BEDS. WE USE ALOT OF IT IN CENTRAL FLORIDA IN THE CONFEDERATE JASMINE . THE BEST RESULTS ARE TO SPRAY THE WHOLE BED AREA. IN TWO WEEKS THE WEEDS WILL BE YELLOW. REPEAT APPLICATION AND IN TWO MORE WEEKS THE WEEDS WILL BE DESTROYED. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Lazer
06-03-2000, 05:11 PM
For grass growing in groundcovers, use Fusalade or Take-Away (Lesco) to kill the grass and not the dicot. Repeat applications may (will) be needed. <p>For simple broadleaf weeds (dandelion, plaintain) put the nozzle of a broadleaf sprayer right down in the floral rosette and pull the trigger. <p>For complex weeds (clover, oxalis) you'll have to pull those.

MowerUp
06-03-2000, 11:50 PM
Can you use 24D to kill weeds in juniper beds?

Barkleymut
06-04-2000, 06:29 AM
Well you can use 24D to kill the weeds as long as you don't mind possibly killing the Juniper as well. As far as the ivy, test out some Roundup T/O (not Roundup Pro), Since the Roundup T/O has no surficant it shouldn't even hurt the ivy but it should waste the weeds (unless they have a waxy coating as well). Test it in an inconspicuous spot. Also if the customer asks what you are spraying don't say roundup, they will freak out and swear that you are trying to kill their ivy. Good Luck. By the way, I tried using scythe and roundup to kill ivy when I first started and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't die. I think you will be fine with the roundup T/O.

lja
06-05-2000, 02:06 PM
thanks guys ..... ill let u know how it turns out......rick

bsmith
06-05-2000, 06:39 PM
What about killing poison ivy in a honeysuckle bed? Kill it all with Roundup (if possible) and then rip it out and start over is about all that I can think of

pogo
06-05-2000, 10:52 PM
Kinda like &quot;SLIM IN THE ICE MACHINE&quot;.<br>Anyone in Houston will know what that means.