PDA

View Full Version : Unlicensed Applicators! Got $35k Laying Around??

Green Dreams
07-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Why Should All Applicators Be Licensed????

TEXAS STRUCTURAL PEST CONTROL BOARD

“A State Agency”

P.O. Box 1927

Austin, Texas 78767-1927

July 1, 2004 CONTACT: PATRICK CRIMMINS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (512) 787 5090

SAN ANTONIO-AREA RESIDENTS WARNED ABOUT OAK WILT FRAUD

Door to Door Unlicensed Tree Service Shut Down by State

As the July 4th holiday weekend approaches, consumers in the San Antonio area are being warned about an unlicensed tree service operating illegally and taking money for oak wilt treatments possibly not done correctly.

William “Bill” Chalker of San Antonio has been ordered by a state district court judge in Austin to stop treating oak wilt until proper certification and licenses are received from the Texas Structural Pest Control Board, the state’s regulatory agency.

Chalker also has been fined $35,550 and ordered to pay the state $15,000 in attorney fees.

Chalker does business out of his home as Bill Chalker’s Tree Company, Chalker’s Tree Company, Bill Chalker’s Tree Experts, Bill Chalker’s Tree Lawn, and Arbortech.

According to investigators, Chalker has a fleet of at least seven marked vehicles which operate in San Antonio and communities to the northwest, including Bandera, Fredericksburg and Kerrville. His employees have used various methods to attract business, including advertisements in telephone directories, flyers, door-to-door, and Internet solicitations. Investigators do not know what treatments or methods his company uses.

“We want the public to know that these treatments come from an unlicensed and illegal operator, and might not be done correctly,” said Dale Burnett, the Board’s executive director. “Consumers are often willing to spend a lot of money in an attempt to save these valuable trees, and this person is taking advantage of that.”

Burnett said consumers who may have already paid Chalker for the illegal work can call the SPCB’s agency office in Austin at (512) 305-8270.

Green Dreams
07-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Oops...make that $50k

vegomatic40
07-02-2004, 08:38 PM
On the rare occasion that I see these type of things happen it warms my heart to no end. Once again, we don't need new pesticide regulation. Simple enforcement of the laws already in place is all that is required to keep the "fly by nighters" in check.

robertyb
07-02-2004, 10:03 PM
They will settle it for $500.00 or less, give him certification and send him on his way. I have been working for State Government for 31 years and this is the way it works. If he has a good Attorney they will pay him for loss of business with no fines.

cemars
07-05-2004, 10:06 PM
[theyQUOTE]Originally posted by robertyb
They will settle it for $500.00 or less, give him certification and send him on his way. I have been working for State Government for 31 years and this is the way it works. If he has a good Attorney will pay him for loss of business with no fines. [/QUOTE]

Yeah for you. I hope you are wrong but regardless your post does nothing to promote responsible pesticide use or promote the need for compliance with state and federal laws. Shame shame!

Doster's L & L
07-07-2004, 04:55 PM
I don't think that robert was promoting unlawful pesticide applications. He was merely giving us some insight to his experience in the government. :rolleyes:

cemars
07-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Doster's L & L
I don't think that robert was promoting unlawful pesticide applications. He was merely giving us some insight to his experience in the government. :rolleyes:

Maybe not intentionally but my point is there are consequences for skirting pesticide laws and I can tell you for a fact that his experience in Georgia is not the same as others have or may face in other states.

Tharrell
07-07-2004, 10:12 PM
I wish there was a bounty for unlicensed applicators, I could take some time off.