PDA

View Full Version : What to use?

spcfoor
07-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Can someone give me a list of product and general information on when and how much to use on a lawn. I am trying to get stared in the business and don't know much about fert , pest, and herb control. Any help would be appreciated.

TSM
07-02-2004, 07:52 PM
you're probably very sincere and hope that someone will give the answers.

but I got to tell ya, if it were that easy....everybody would be in the business!

best place to start is by working for a reputable firm in your area. listen and learn from them. after, say 4-5 years you might be ready agronomically to break out onto your own.

hey, i'm not trying to be harsh with ya...but your question shows that you need much training before you can (or should) even think about charging someone for your service.

good luck

onemancrew
07-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Try www.pbigordon.com and look either alphabetically or by category. Then check out weedalert.com down on left-side of this homepage. This will tell you their recommendations on herbicides, germination dates or the way they spread. A very good source of info, with great products as well.

Todd

MrBarefoot
07-03-2004, 07:37 PM
You can also use the search function of this website to read the treads posted by other new operators.

This forum also has an "elements of business" and "just starting out" sections. I suggest you get a tasty beverage and bring those up and spend some time reading the experiences of these fledgling companies.

Ric
07-04-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by TSM
you're probably very sincere and hope that someone will give the answers.

but I got to tell ya, if it were that easy....everybody would be in the business!

best place to start is by working for a reputable firm in your area. listen and learn from them. after, say 4-5 years you might be ready agronomically to break out onto your own.

hey, i'm not trying to be harsh with ya...but your question shows that you need much training before you can (or should) even think about charging someone for your service.

good luck

I think TSM's advice is the best. It take many years to be Professional in any field. Learning from a pro can help decrease your learning curve.

mr scag
07-04-2004, 01:22 AM
people on this site act like spraying a lawn is rocket science. Got my lics. this past winter, came out smokin this spring and have had very little probs. thus far. Read label, ask people who know the right questions, multi task and get er done! Way more money than mowing and alot less labor

Pilgrims' Pride
07-04-2004, 09:07 AM
scag

TSM is still right.
No you don't need to be a brain surgeon to apply lawn care products.
Ask any home owner. They seem to know it all.
But sooner or later YOU will probably get your nuts in a vice with something and then what?
There are so many fungal problems, so many insect troubles and I don't even know where to start with soils!
But I guess you know all that already.
Sometimes customers don't really care where you learned your trade or how much you actually know as long as things look good.......until they don't.
Then they want answers and solutions and they want it now.
While you may have passed a test somewhere, that does not make you a real Lawn Care professional.
You have alot to learn

Ric
07-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by mr scrub
people on this site KNOW I AM A rocket science. Got my lics. this past winter, came out smokin LAWNS this spring and have had MANY probs. thus far. Read label, ask people who know the right questions IS THE ONLY WAY I CAN SURVIVE , multi task and get er LOOKING LIKE DIRT! Way more LAWSUITS than mowing and alot less QUALITY

Mr Scrub

Yes After re-reading your post I must Agree.

Green Dreams
07-04-2004, 10:28 AM
LOL, Ric. I usually ignore people like meester scag. After they screw up, hopefully get reported when they do so, they always come back around with their hats in their hands.....

Ric
07-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Green Dreams
LOL, Ric. I usually ignore people like meester scag. After they screw up, hopefully get reported when they do so, they always come back around with their hats in their hands.....

Green Dreams

If I ignored people like Mr Scrub, My post count would be 70% less. Many States require little if any experience to sit for a watered down test. With a 007 license in hand they proceed to contaminate the environment with poor applications and get many chemicals taken off the market. Some of these chemical have never been replaced with suitable replacement.

Worst yet are the ones who know the right way, but do it the cheap way for a quick buck. I have only turn in two people in my life. Both had licenses. One of them has posted here on LS and was a friend of mine at one time. In fact I worked under his license at one time. His attitude is the worst. He will go to Walmart and buy a cheap blend of fertilizer then load the best. He buys chemical in garage sales or in one case a nursery that went out of business and he got all of the 20 year old stuff. I actually didn't turn him in. He came to me for Labels because he needed them for the inspector after being turn in by a home owner. I gave him the wrong label on propose, in hopes that a stiff fine would straight his act. BTW at the time he was certified and I was not, so he should of known better. Yes the wrong label sure helped the inspector make the right decision on fining him, but was not the sole factor.

MrBarefoot
07-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Ric

...if I ignored people like Mr Scrub, My post count would be 70% less...

Even though we have disagreed a few times, seeing 70% less of you would be a very bad thing.

I almost fell out of my chair when I read your corrected post from mr scag.

Ric
07-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by MrBarefoot
Even though we have disagreed a few times,

Mr. Barefoot

At least with you, I disagree with an intelligent life form. However we also agree on many things.

work_it
07-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Once again, I agree with Ric, and the others who said the best way to learn about treatments is to work for a knowledgable certified applicator for 4 to 5 years. I just got my pesticide lic. this last Feb. and was quick to learn that I was nowhere close to knowing what was needed to effectively run that type of operation. I've been studying every night since, and still have years to go before I will consider myself a professional applicator. I don't really advertise the chem. apps, and also warn existing customers about my lack of experience. A few of them have decided to let me take care of the chem. applications, but are well aware of the risks involved.

Now, as far as this not being rocket science you're right. It's not rocket science, but soil, insect, animal, and plant science. In other words you're constantly dealing with chemicals, and bio chemestry which is no picnic in the park. This is probably the most technical field in the greens industry, and something you can't just take lightly.

mr scag
07-05-2004, 08:56 AM
been in the bus. for 15 plus years, got tired of paying tru green to over fert my lawns. grossed 250 k last year and just built a new house and shop on 8 acres, so i must not be as dumb as some of you guys think

heritage
07-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Mr Scag,
BIG BIG difference between a person having the knowlage to mow grass for 15 years VS. a lawn care professional making applications and having an open mind to learn during those 15 years.:D

Pete D.

mr scag
07-05-2004, 09:26 AM
i do have an open mind, it is not easy, i know alot of people in the fert bus. so i can ask alot of quest. when i dont know. that is probly why it is not as hard for me. sorry if i offended any of you experts

Green Dreams
07-05-2004, 10:47 AM
no offense taken, Mr Scag. I have just seen too many with the attitude I felt from your post, get burned....pun intended...lol. The internet is so impersonal. It is easy to mis-take someone's tone...

MrBarefoot
07-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Mr. Scag,

Perhaps another option for you is to hire someone with the necessary credentials and experience. Let this person be in charge of building and running your lawn service (fert and turf pest control) operation, and you continue running your lawn maintenance (Mowing) operation. Learn from your man as much as possible, and when you feel ready to take the reigns, start running it yourself.

Keep in mind that it will take a few years to get to know the industry, and a few more to become very proficient.

One thing to look for as an indication that you are ready to run your own show is that you have a deep respect for pesticides and an appreciation for their proper employment. Far too many people have no comprehension of just how pesticides work and how they will impact non target pests, other plants in the area, and even the environment.

I think I can speak for all ethical professional applicators when I say very little angers us more then irresponsible pesticide use, and the consequences all of us have to bear as a result.

There is no better training then on-the-job-and-in-the-field with a good professional.

Good Luck