PDA

View Full Version : trailer gate length

seymour_glass
07-02-2004, 06:56 PM
OK, seriously, how long are your guys' drop gates on your trailers?
I just payed 800 bucks for a 5 X 8, my first trailer, got it home only to find that the mower hangs up on the gate. Now, I can get it up, but its a bit of a pain. I realize thats its also partly due to the fact that I have a fixed deck walkbehind, but I'm still wondering if I bought the wrong trailer. I honestly didn't even consider gate length when looking at trailers, but I don't think I saw any other trailers with gates longer than the own I got. Still, I'm wondering if I made a stupid, and costly, mistake.
So - My trailer gate is 4 feet, how long is yours?

Gilla Gorilla
07-02-2004, 07:02 PM
My gates are 4 foot also. I think that you will find that 4 foot is a pretty typical length for a landscape trailer, although I have seen a few 5 and 6 footers running around. Most are 4 though

Fishin LCO
07-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Mine is 4 also, try going up it at an angle

CELS
07-02-2004, 11:30 PM
I've got a 5 footer on mine. My Kubotas load and unload without any problems, but I have and older JD STX38 rider that hangs up on the gate.

Shady Brook
07-03-2004, 07:47 AM
I have the same exact problem. My biggest concern is my Stander. It hangs up terrible! A walkbehind is easy, as you can just pop a wheelie and get up. You can with a stander as well, but it can get kind of interesting. My Super Z also catches a little bit.

I am trying to figure out if I go to 5 foot ramps, if it will make any difference for the stander? I have lost my geometry/trig skills, but was thinking if I could find the ramp angle on my old trailer, could tell pretty close what the ramp length would need to be to achieve the same angle on the new. The Dove tail may through a wrench in the deal though.

Jay

Tharrell
07-03-2004, 02:29 PM
I had mine reworked to a longer length because of this problem. You can maybe weld some small blocks on the edge to lift the overall gate or maybe check your hitch. Do you have a drop down hitch?

Tharrell
07-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Mine is 5 ft. Here's a photo.

Kelly's Landscaping
07-03-2004, 06:12 PM
That's experience when I worked for someone else we had that problem so I made sure when I left I did not make the same mistake. Trailer one my baby has a 4 1/2 foot gate with drop axles that fixed the problem before it ever began. Trailer two doesn't have drop axles but has a 4 foot 8 inch gate and has also eliminated mower hang ups. It isn't a laughing matter when you hang up on the spindles infact my former employer ruined his brand new lazer deck that way day one. So he's been cutting with a bent deck ever since if its realy hanging up the mower the spindles can bend or pull the deck out of level. Something to think on BEFORE you buy a trailer.

seymour_glass
07-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Thanks so much for all the help everyone! So it seems that 4ft is pretty much the standard, but some of you guys use longer ones if needed and/or drop axles. So I guess those are my only two options, and I will look into both and see which would be cheaper.

Summer is coming up in full heat now though, so I'll be raising my blades a bit this up coming week. This might be a temporary work around and solve the problem for now at least, but something will eventually have to be done.

CurrituckCaretaker and Shady Brook - popping a wheelie does work, but it's annoying to do and can be dangerous!

Shady - haha, i guess that would be interesting! But dangerous too. Figuring out the legnth is easy! (But i can only say that since I just took geometry anyways, cuz I know I aint gonna remember **** soon...) All you need to know, obviously, is the height of the tailer and the angle of the gate. I'm not sure wether it would be more practical to measure the top angle or the bottom angle, but assuming you know the top angle:
length of gate would = height of trailer / sin of the angle. It's all right angles, baby... :)

Tharrell - I was thinking something similer actually, maybe just bolting some wood to the edge to lift the gate up. I haven't completely rulled it out, but it seems to me that would make it harder to get the mower up over the edge. As for the hitch, I don't know what a drop hitch is, but I do know that I have the biggest/tallest drawbar I could find, and I can't get the front of the trailer any higher. Don't laugh now, but thats mostly because I don't have a truck, but a car, :o so the hitch is much lower.

Kelly's Landscaping - Good advice, which will be well-heeded next time I go out for a trailer! Even more so, because I know it's the bolts going through the spindles that the gate is catching on! So I admit it, I'm a moron....

Thank you so much everybody!

edit-
holy **** that was long!

seymour_glass
07-03-2004, 11:53 PM
hey! I got censored! :confused: haha

Potchkins
07-04-2004, 04:05 AM
what about floor height at the tail ?

BrianK10
07-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Mines 4ft. I just pop the front casters off the ground when on the ramp and I'm set.

Brian

aperfectlawn
07-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Get smaller tires so the trailer will sit lower. The the angle of the gate will be less.

Turf Dancer
08-21-2004, 05:43 AM
We got an Exmark 52" LZHP this year and realized that the deck would hang up going into the trailer plus the mower wouldn't even get all the way up without tilting backwards, we had a hell of a time at the dealer getting it loaded, so after we spent a ton of money on the mower we had nothing left to buy a bigger trailer. So the next morning I went to the lumber yard and got a 10' 2"x8" and a sheet of 1 1/8" toung and groove plywood and made a 30" ramp that I have to put on the ground below the ramp so now I have 6 1/2 ft of ramp with a 19 3/4" floor height. I have a new plan for a new trailer this winter. It will be 6.5'x12 with a 24"x24"x6.5' expanded metal cage with the drop down door on the front, as well as 3 tool holders on each side, a ladder rack on one side. It will be a tandem drop axle which will have a 15" deck height. The gate will be 64" long and 6.5' wide.

This trailer will be killer and it will save me a ton of time and money for several reasons as follows.

It will have brakes which will cut down on the wear on the truck brakes and make for safer stopping.

The cage will cut down thefts of smaller items, tools, loppers, hedge trimmers, handheld blower, chainsaw, etc.

I will be putting a trimmer trap on the right side which should cut abuse of trimmers and help on theft.

I will be able to carry my Billygoat Vac, LZHP with bagger attached instead of having to remove the blower and tube each time like I do now. As well as 2- 21" Hondas with baggers. No more unloading and having to go to the shed each time I need something.

Save me from having to load my wood ramp extension.

Should look a lot more professional.

It will be great ! I have looked at a single axle version of it without the drop axle and it looks great and it made really well.
I think the tandem will ride better in the rough streets in this area.

Bigfoot
08-22-2004, 11:59 PM
The drop axles are a nice feature on a trailer for lawn equipment. The gate does not need to be as long with the lower trailer frame.

Turf Dancer
08-23-2004, 02:19 AM
Actually we have measured it and to keep the angle the same as it is now and to avoid dragging the deck when driving the ZTR on the trailer it will have to be as long as I measured, 64".
Also due to the fact that we have a lot of hills here, we are faced with parking with the rig facing up hill which also presents an additional need for lower ramp angle. Besides the fact that another guy in the city where I am ordering the trailer has one with the drop axle and 4' gate and his ZTR drags slightly. The dealer told him to add to his ramp or he was going to baen the heck out of the front of his deck. Whatever works for you I guess. I know that I need 64" to put me where I am now.