PDA

View Full Version : question about the fert biz.

kalyeah
07-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Hello everyone, up till now I've only done mowing, hedges that type of thing. But I've been noticing that all most all of my customers are having their lawns treated by a couple of the bigger fert application companies. So, I'm tossing the idea around of studying and getting licensed for next year. Just haven't done much research or thought into it yet. Was wondering about the money. Money wise would you say it's better or as good as mowing? Second question is. Is it hard to compete with these bigger companies price wise? I'm sure they're buying everything in a very large quantity. Any input will be appreciated. Also, where's a good place to start for training and getting licensed?
Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Nick17
07-02-2004, 08:36 PM
tagging along for this one..

TSM
07-02-2004, 08:53 PM
you're probably very sincere and hope that someone will give the answers.

but I got to tell ya, if it were that easy....everybody would be in the business!

best place to start is by working for a reputable firm in your area. listen and learn from them. after, say 4-5 years you might be ready agronomically to break out onto your own.

hey, i'm not trying to be harsh with ya...but your question shows that you need much training before you can (or should) even think about charging someone for your service.

good luck

kalyeah
07-02-2004, 09:36 PM
THANKS FOR THE REPLY

lawnguy26
07-06-2004, 09:44 PM
I cut grass for seven years. I expect to make double if not triple what I made cutting grass by ferting AND not working half as hard. Been working for a reputable company for 2 1/2 years now, only 6 more months before I can get liscensed and I still have alot to learn, horticultural wise. Good Luck!

jajwrigh
07-06-2004, 11:50 PM
Here is something to think about concerning licensing....it takes time. This spring I went to Purdue University to take my core pest class and test. Soon after I got materials for 3b and 3a (turf and ornamental). I recently passed the 3b (turf) and still need to take my test over 3a. This small accomplishment for me has taken around 4 months. This October I am taking a mandatory 2 day workshop required by my state to spray turf. After all of this I need pest insurance, license ($30 once 2 day class is complete), and equipment. My point is to show that getting "the paperwork" out of the way can be time consuming so allocate accordingly for this. Good luck to you.

James Cormier
07-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Jaj, sounds like your doing things right, keep it up, you will be happy you did.