PDA

View Full Version : Wire grass!!

BRIMOW525
07-02-2004, 11:26 PM
I have a lawn that has the start of a wire grass infestation. It was sodded last year and I am with the understanding that wire grass cannot be "cut out" It must be sprayed and killed. So my question is... what is a good product to spray to eliminate wire grass but NOT the sod. By the way, the sod is K31 tall fescue. Thanks for the info. Most people around here kill the whole yard and start all over. There has to be an easier way.

excel25
07-03-2004, 06:55 AM
Fusilade II will do the job

MOW ED
07-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Gotta have a little fun with you.

Hopefully you can throw the breaker before you start cutting.

Aleman
07-03-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm curious if you have used Fusilade with any success getting rid of Bermuda. I was under the impression that it is only a control type product that will reduce infestation if used in the spring after it comes out of dormancy. To get rid of it this time of year I thought you needed a total kill...

vegomatic40
07-03-2004, 12:39 PM
I am of the same opinion as Aleman. As the Bermuda becomes thicker in a cool-season lawn, it becomes increasingly more difficult to control. Even if you get fair to good control with treatment, the remaining turf is thinned from the earlier competition from the Bermuda. In semi-shade areas were both fescue and bermuda grow this may work well. In full sun the Bermuda is likely to be the dominant turf in a short amount of time. My experience has been that Fusilade is better used after a total or localized kill with Glyphosate based products in the late summer followed by aeration and seeding. This can be somewhat tedious as 2-3 treatments may be necessary to be certain that all the actively growing Bermuda has been killed. This also does nothing for dormant seeds that the Bermuda has produced. This is were use of Fusilade comes into the picture in the spring. Pre-emergents are unlikely to control such an aggressive turf so timing is critical to good control. Make sure that the Bermuda is actively growing in the spring but, do not allow it to become growing so rapidly that it simply "shrugs off" a treatment of Fusilade. Fusilade is also a great herbicide for use in beds in over-the-top treatments such as junipers and other ground covers that are overgrown with Bermuda as the label shows a long list of ornamentals that are tolerant of treatment.

BRIMOW525
07-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to check out that stuff, Fuilade tomorrow.