PDA

View Full Version : Its time to paint my dump bed. What color?

bnrhuffman
07-04-2004, 08:24 AM
Ive got a 97 Ford F350 with an 8' dump bed. The cab and bed are currently white. The paint on the cab is in good condition and I dont mind it being white. The bed paint is chipped and rusting and I hate the white dump bed. I want something that wont show rust stains and will be easy to touch up. My first thought is your standard black but you see that alot. Im now leaning towards camouflage for the bed. A nice quality job done in basic woodland camo. Ive never seen a dump truck bed painted camo so it should stand out. It will be easy to touch up, wont show dirt or rust stains and I can get it done for less than gloss black. Im also considering a roll on rubberized bed liner for the inside of the bed. Ive used a product called Hurculiner that has given me good results for years, but not really under the abuse that a dump bed is put through.
Any thoughts, comments, ideas or opinions?
Also, I have pics of my truck, trailer and tractor combo so you can get an idea what it looks like now but I need a host. anyone, anyone.

selnoil
07-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Sorry but I would go black or red. I've had both and they are easy to touch up with a plain old brush. I would not do the dump body with a rubber liner you will regrat it. My dad had 5 30/40 yard dump trailers and he tried several things. The only product that worked well was a poly liner. Big money but never had a problem.

Mike

bnrhuffman
07-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Dont be sorry. Your opinion is what I want. What kind of poly liner are you talking about? Herculiner (http://www.herculiner.com/prodinfo.html)
is actually a polyurethane based DIY spray on or roll on liner. While not the best poly liner on the market, I figure I can do my bed for about $300 in a weekend. There are other products that are professionally applied such as Line-X, Rhinoliner, Poly something or another and others. We're talking alot more money and some of them cant be repaired if they tear or scuff. Im not trying to push a product, just wanting to know if this is the type of product that has worked for your dad.

lamarbur
07-04-2004, 11:30 AM
I went to my local Advanced Auto parts store and picked up "Bondo" brand liner. It is identical to all of them out there. For 80.00 I did the whole bed (pick-up) and had enough left over to do the tail gate 3 more times. Is is a urethane with catalyst like the others. For a dump bed, two gallons should do it (160.00) The only thing is, a red warning every other sentence "when you apply this product, do not allow to get wet , even a single drop" for the first 96 hours.. I did mine, new P/U and left the truck sit a week inside my garage. It is unbelievable durable and tough..

Avery
07-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Black would look better IMO.

selnoil
07-05-2004, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure what kind of liner he put in the trailers but it was a rigid poly about 3/8 to 1/2 thick. This stuff was awesome. We hauled everything ledge to sand. It also worked great in the winter because the snow we hauled didn't stick. Good Luck!!

Mike

kbenvironmental
07-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Can you post a pic of it? I saw a local general contractor that had his bed exterior lined with a decal of his logo$300 (like on the side of a bus) and the inner bed spray lined $150. I was surprised at how sharp it looked! He said the beds look like new when they sell em cause the decal protects the paint from most abuse until they peel it off and they just re-spray the bed. I see their trucks around town and they always look like new.

lawncare3
08-02-2004, 12:41 AM
How about a line-x