PDA

View Full Version : Spray pattern of Hunter I20

Summett
07-05-2004, 04:25 PM
I am getting estimates for a sprinkler system to be installed at my residence and i have a contractor that i think i am going to go with. He handles both Rainbird and Hunter and he personally chooses the Hunter brand, but is leaving it up to me to decide.

I think i have decided to go with his suggestion (because after all, he is the expert) with Hunter and he wants to install the I20's.

From what i've read on here, that is a good choice i guess. Just wondering if the spray pattern is a good one. Another contractor i got an estimate from swore by the rainbirds "curtain" spray. How are the I20's compared? Is there a big difference, and will i get good coverage with the I20's?

thanks for all your comments.

DGI
07-05-2004, 08:34 PM
IMO I20s are overkill in most residential applications. Ask him why he feels that you need I20s over PGPs.

How big of an area are you looking at watering with them? What sort of water source do you have?

LeoS818
07-05-2004, 08:39 PM
I agree, I 20s are overkill in residential yard. The new pgj is what i used in a new res yard. I was very happy how they worked. And are bout half price of I 20s.

Summett
07-05-2004, 09:39 PM
I have a little over 2/3 an acre and they'd be run off a well with 3/4 hp pump. Not sure the gpm, but he check it out.

Do you still think it's overkill?

Thanks for the responses.

SWD
07-06-2004, 07:45 AM
I use the I-20 much more than the Pgp or Pgj. I like the flexibility of nozzle selection, ease of use and durability of the head.
With regards to the spray pattern, the spray it self is diffused with a screw protruding through the nozzle, and is adjustable for elevation as well.
Coverage depends upon several factors, head spacing, available design pressure, terrain of the irrigated area, and weather factors. The I-20 is a good head to use, properly installed, it should last many seasons.

aquamtic
07-06-2004, 02:13 PM
As long as the design and water source allows., I always offer the customer the option of either PGP or 1-20. I always explain the extra features that could benefit the homeowner such as shut off on the 1-20, a better built contruction (spring, housing threads, and built in check valves) and the extra 3 year warranty.

More money and their choice. 4 out of 5 choose the 1-20

Avery
07-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Go with the I-20. Much much better head.

Summett
07-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate it.

hamsey
07-08-2004, 09:39 AM
I upgraded to the I-20's. The contractor wanted to put in PGP's. I like the fact that you can take out an I-20 head and still have the rest of the zone work. Adjustment is very easy with the I-20 not sure about the PGP. It was worth the $6.00 price difference per head I paid. Get the I-20's glad I did.

Norm

aquamtic
07-08-2004, 02:50 PM
And dont forget the extra 3 Year warranty on the 1-20's. Be sure your contractor offers this to you.

PGP's 2 year
I-20's 5 Year

dwost
07-08-2004, 04:59 PM
I have the I-20's and couldn't be happier. Very adjustable and the company that installed mine gave me a whole slew of flow inserts so I can change out the nozzles depending on water needs of the yard. Great product and have had 0 issues over the last 3 years. I did have one head that cracked this winter but it was easily replaced. I love the adjustability as well.

MikeK
07-11-2004, 12:09 AM
In My opinion, it does not matter much what product is installed. It's the contractor that is doing the install and If the system is designed properly so that there is at least 30 PSi at the base of the head. A 3/4 Hp Well pump sounds a little weak to run a system, depending on the well depth. Did the contractor measure the flow and pressure of the well before he gave you a quote? If not, do not even consider using this guy. He is just gessing if the system will work properly.
I do not care if you have gold plated heads in your yard, if it is not designed properly, you will still have brown spots.

On a side note, I played around with some heads on a stake in my yard the other day. Here are the results:

90 PSI static pressure.
Irritrol Cr 500 Rotor - #6 nozzle, spray went 53 feet.
Hunter I- 20, #6 Nozzle 46 foot spray, the pattern was much more diffused and just could not get the distance.
I never realized the difference before this little test and plan on playing around a bit more with the Pito gauge to test nozzle pressures and to do some more accurate testing.
For now, my thouhgts are that the Hunter would not do as well in windy situations as the irritrol