PDA

View Full Version : Spray pre m on new sod

Doster's L & L
07-06-2004, 03:20 PM
One of my customers just put some new zoysia sod in his back yard. the lawn is due for another pre m app plus the sod is having some crabgrass to come up through the sod, so obviously the sod needs some pre m as well. the question is, will the pre m prune the roots of the sod? The ai is pendamethalin and i will half rate it since i applied earlier this year. thanks in advance!

LwnmwrMan22
07-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Usually says how quickly you can apply to new turf on the label.

Garden Panzer
07-07-2004, 01:48 AM
NEVER!!!!!
;)
With new sod, one would fert @ proper intervals and PRE-M the following season, IE#
Sod installed in Spring, one might pre-m THAT fall...or that spring.
NEVER sod then spray.....
unless one is sprayin' sod with good things like Roots 1-2-3
www.rootsinc.com
During establishment one grows soil and roots...
:cool:

Doster's L & L
07-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the advice!
I was pretty sure that a full rate of pre m would not be good on the sod, but i was hoping a half rate would be ok. Now i know to stay away from the sod when i spray. Again, thanks.

Ric
07-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Has any one ever heard the term "Chemical Root Pruning"??

Doster's L & L
07-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Yes, i've heard of it. This is why i posted the question. I know if i apply TOO MUCH it will prune the roots, but applying a half rate is what i was hoping to get away with. I also did a search BEFORE i posted the question too. Ric, i did see that you mentioned chemical root pruning a few times in the past, but there was no mention of it on half rates. Did you write your book on root pruning yet? If not, you ought to start up a thread on root pruning like the one you started in the past about the WIN, HWIN and the other forms of N. That was a very informative thread! I'm sure you're too busy to start that now though.

vegomatic40
07-09-2004, 10:33 AM
It may be far too late to apply a pre-m for crab control for either area, the established turf or, the new sod. Stick with post- emergents for grassy weed control at this point. If you plan on doing a split app. of pre-m next year I would suggest that both apps. be applied prior to crabgrass germinating (start early). Watch the soil temps. in your area carefully. As it reaches the mid 50's consistently pre-emergents become a risky, costly treatment. A long, cool spring can extend your treatment window considerably.

Ric
07-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Doster's L & L
Yes, i've heard of it. This is why i posted the question. I know if i apply TOO MUCH it will prune the roots, but applying a half rate is what i was hoping to get away with. I also did a search BEFORE i posted the question too. Ric, i did see that you mentioned chemical root pruning a few times in the past, but there was no mention of it on half rates. Did you write your book on root pruning yet? If not, you ought to start up a thread on root pruning like the one you started in the past about the WIN, HWIN and the other forms of N. That was a very informative thread! I'm sure you're too busy to start that now though.

Doster

I am burned out on trying to teach any thing on the Net. Being a moderator on another form and trying to teach a classroom burned me out. LS is the best forum I have found. I do still teach, but in a class room setting.

1/2 rate Pre-emerge will still stunt desirable turf and will let certain undesirable germinate. I strongly recommend against it, in most cases.

Avery
07-09-2004, 07:29 PM
No pre-m on new sod except something like Ronstar (not labeled for residential) that does not root prune.

timturf
07-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Ric and avery are right on!!!!!!!!!!

All sythetic pre emerge products are root prunners except ronstar, not labeled for residential lawns. The pre emerge products have differtent degrees of root prunning!!!!

scweedman
07-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Garden Panzer what is roots 123? Are these steps are a single product?

Hamons
07-13-2004, 11:25 PM
www.rootsinc.com

Fantastic products. They are proud of their products though and their prices reflect that.